Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mcmurdo beacon fast find battery replacement - 99.99?!!!!!!

Good morning,

I have the Mcmurdo fast find 220. For new batteries with a service is 99.99 at the first company I have checked with. The McMurdo is at least 5 yrs old. Do you think I should pay the 99.99, replace batteries myself (is this possible and recommended?) or invest in a new one?

Any thoughts please?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Good morning,

I have the Mcmurdo fast find 220. For new batteries with a service is 99.99 at the first company I have checked with. The McMurdo is at least 5 yrs old. Do you think I should pay the 99.99, replace batteries myself (is this possible and recommended?) or invest in a new one?

Any thoughts please?
    IMHO after 5+ years you will also need the rubber antenna assembly and plastic seal cup. Consider Service Exchange 40% off a new one and its tested.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    IMHO after 5+ years you will also need the rubber antenna assembly and plastic seal cup. Consider Service Exchange 40% off a new one and its tested.
    +1 for this - chuck it in for a new one, exchange is about 160 if I remember. They upgraded it about 3 years ago with a different receiver so its GPS has slightly better coverage/accuracy than the model you have so for an extra 60 you get a brand new one with better coverage

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    +1 for this - chuck it in for a new one, exchange is about 160 if I remember. They upgraded it about 3 years ago with a different receiver so its GPS has slightly better coverage/accuracy than the model you have so for an extra 60 you get a brand new one with better coverage
    I have an even older 210 model. Am going to go down the replace route but any idea how to dispose of them properly?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Anybody know if the 220 is the same size and shape as the 210? will the 220 fit in a narked@90 canister?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Assuming the Narked canister is the same internal dimensions as the CD canister, then yes it will, same size. Our old 210's were replaced with 220's into CD canisters with no issues

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    I have an even older 210 model. Am going to go down the replace route but any idea how to dispose of them properly?
    Chuck it in for service exchange - you get a discount on the new one and they deal with it. Make sure you get it coded for the correct country though if you buy it in the UK