Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brexit an interesting new "problem"

Food for thought seriously! Following this BBC report I wonder what the response will be if your food item originated in the EU was exported to UK and is being re-imported to EU in its original sealed packaging?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55622331
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Procrastinating
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I like that quote from the Dutch border official

"No, everything will be confiscated - welcome to the Brexit, sir. I'm sorry."
    Basically - "you voted for this, now suck it up".

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, I read about it on the BBC weeks ago, when they called it out as a consequence of Brexit and the deal that the PM finally settled on with the EU.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Stuart I agree it is no surprise but I would like to see the response if the Brit customs suddenly stopped French lorry drivers & confiscated their meat & dairy sandwich’s !
    We fell foul of it years ago during the mad cow problems. Got stopped at the German border & had to empty the fridge in our cab. Germans answer was “ everything must go, it has been in the same fridge “ bit harsh as we couldn’t find a supermarket open at 11pm on a Sunday night
    I trust my rebreather implicitly I just don't trust the owner

Onwards & downwards.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinicky View Post
    Stuart I agree it is no surprise but I would like to see the response if the Brit customs suddenly stopped French lorry drivers & confiscated their meat & dairy sandwich’s !
    We fell foul of it years ago during the mad cow problems. Got stopped at the German border & had to empty the fridge in our cab. Germans answer was “ everything must go, it has been in the same fridge “ bit harsh as we couldn’t find a supermarket open at 11pm on a Sunday night
    I like the idea of tit for tat response. Even if it is childish. Unfortunately as the UK unlike our European neighbors we has not substantially increased the number of customs officials. The UK could not cope with the back log.

Graham.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart_m View Post
    I like that quote from the Dutch border official

Basically - "you voted for this, now suck it up".

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, I read about it on the BBC weeks ago, when they called it out as a consequence of Brexit and the deal that the PM finally settled on with the EU.
    The rules are there, they are not secret and everyone (especially hauliers) should know them. If you take a sandwich or any other prohibited foodstuffs, either finish it before you land or be prepared to lose it

We are now a separate country outwith the EU and will be treated as such by EU Customs officers irrespective of which EU country you land in. The same should be true the other way although whether we have enough customs officers to do it is another matter!

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have watched programmes about Australian border control and they are very strict about food being brought into their country. Don't see why other countries should be different.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mustn't mention the EU's vaccination programme. Late and bureaucratic. Germans are most definitely not happy.

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brexit an interesting new "problem"

Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Mustn't mention the EU's vaccination programme. Late and bureaucratic. Germans are most definitely not happy.
    Wait. Vaccine approval a month later than us and youíre comparing progress?
    But look Europe are doing worse. Are you that insecure? That you need a whataboutism of a thing we are no longer part of and havenít been for a year?

How about sorting our shit out first.

93,000 deaths.
    PPE
    Late lockdowns
    The current second wave (the local hospital has cancelled all surgery, the next door neighbour doesnít get to fit on average 3 pacemakers a day)
    I could go on, but youíre fixated (in the typical English way) of trying to denigrate.
    Italy is accelerating and will soon overtake. German ditto. France will catch up

Oh free school meals provision. You must be proud of that capitalist enterprise

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I have watched programmes about Australian border control and they are very strict about food being brought into their country. Don't see why other countries should be different.
    My mate got stopped at the "fruit fly patrol" border going from one state to another. Because fruit farming is the maor industry in the state, you're not allowed to carry fruit in your car in case you carry fruit flies into the farming areas, so they confiscated it all (my mate had just stopped at a supermarket and stocked up on food - including loads of fruit!)
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Self Defecating The Real Paulus's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Tit for tat has always been the nature of our relationship with the EU. It's not even news.

I'm just surprised it's the usually affable Dutch making a scene. The New Axis must be turning the thumb screws, keep the acolytes on message! Actually, Merkel has no fight left. It's just the self proclaimed King of Europe, Macron, calling the shots now. French internal forces will put him in his place soon enough and we'll then get down to mutually beneficial trade with countries that need our money.

It isn't rocket science.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast