Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cataract Op

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My wife had cataracts in both eyes and the lens replaced with single vision lenses. She has good middle distance vision but need glasses for distance and reading.

My eyes were strange. I had perfect vision until my mid-forties but then needed glasses for distance. When I got to my late fifties, my distance vision corrected itself and is now excellent but I need glasses for reading, especially in low light.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Are these replacement lenses not stiff then? I get that the lens can be designed to correct short- or long-sightedness but if it's not deformable then how does the eye focus?
    To a great extent it doesn't but neither did it when it was stiff before removal, I believe there are some deformable lenses now but no idea how good. This is why the trick with different magnifications and focus with different eyes is important and also how Laser corneal surgery to correct short sight also works, my wife had this 15-20 years ago and still only occasionally needs reading glasses. Also why less good in poor light as depth of field increases with small pupil size so bright light =small pupil and greater DOF.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The way it was explained to me for the multifocal lenses that I have just had . The lens is made up of lots of concentric rings . Each ring gives a different focal length . The eye does not focus more the brain has to train itself to “ look” through the correct ring for the distance you are looking at . Apparently everybody is different as in some peoples brain works it out quicker than others.
    I think I am knackered as I still haven’t found the brain yet !
    I trust my rebreather implicitly I just don't trust the owner

Onwards & downwards.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The way it was explained to me by the optician when I got varifocal contact lenses is the for distance, you are looking through the centre of the lens and for reading, you tend to look down and look through the outer part of the lens which has a focal length for close-up work. I found myself automatically tilting my head when I was reading things. I presume that the replacement lenses work in the same way.

TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    You might be able to explain then? If somebody needs by-focal or vary-focal lenses because of age would a lens replacement mean they have
    normal vision again or like you will they require glasses to treat the long or the short vision?

What I'm trying to ask is, if you have a new lens do you have new eyes or will you need to wear glasses afterwords?

taz.

My understanding was that if I had gone for the multi-focal option I wouldn't have needed reading glasses.
    I was given the option of slightly different focal lengths in each eye, but from past experience when my glasses were out in one eye and not the other I struggled/had headaches so I didn't want to try that option.

But I have gone from needing glasses to see anything from about 10cm from my eye, to just needing them for a computer screens and closer which has made a huge difference in my life (and made diving less stressful)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123