Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cataract Op

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cataract Op

Looks like I might need a Cataract op on my left eye. I know guidance is 6 to 12 weeks recovery but obviously that doesnt take account of diving so any contras about diving after ?
    TIA
    I trust my rebreather implicitly I just don't trust the owner

Onwards & downwards.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My most regular buddy had both of his eyes done at the end of 2019.
    He was back diving a little after the 12 weeks as the doctor want to be sure.
    There were no issues.

As an aside he went for the expensive private option so he now has good vision for both middle aged induced long sight and his short sight from childhood.
    I'm a bit jealous and have considered getting cataracts just to get mine done too.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My wife had both eyes done too. No problems diving.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinicky View Post
    Looks like I might need a Cataract op on my left eye. I know guidance is 6 to 12 weeks recovery but obviously that doesn't take account of diving so any contras about diving after ?
    Colin, a few comments from nickb who had both eyes done a few years ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by nickb
    I was diving 3 weeks after my first cataract op (Newquay) and 2 weeks after my second (NDAC and the Illinois a week later).
    He went private.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickb
    If you get NHS treatment, they'll only insert monofocal intra-ocular lenses (IOLs). I paid extra (only about 500) for trifocal IOLs and will never need specs again. I used to pay at least 500 for one pair of varifocal specs!
    Paying extra is not an option on the NHS.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I suppose my main concern was obviously with regards to pressure at depth post op & wondering if it would have an effect on said recovery . Thank you for the responses.

Dave , do you know how long ago Nick had his done ?

Onwards & downwards.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I had mine both done 5 years ago - recommended wait for 6 weeks after each surgery. I started gas diving straight away after that. I'd recommend the private route and multifocal lenses - much much better.
    It does make you more prone to detached retinas - especially if you're short sighted. I had one around a year later - not to be recommended! Spent 4 weeks sat upright after the surgery while the gas bubble was absorbed and no diving for 3 months. Ironically my sight in the detached eye is much better!
    Tea Boy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinicky View Post
    I suppose my main concern was obviously with regards to pressure at depth post op & wondering if it would have an effect on said recovery . Thank you for the responses.

Dave , do you know how long ago Nick had his done ?
    Nick had his done in 2016. The eye is full of fluid so pressure shouldn't be an issue and the main risk is one of infection.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks again Dave , makes a lot of sense when you point it out, so provided I keep my mask on & upstream of anybody with a pee valve I should be fine ! LOL

Onwards & downwards.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A quick update on this . Had the op on both eyes on Monday, Multifocal lenses fitted & success I can see without glasses !
    All done on via NHS at Benenden Hospital & I was offered the upgrade to multifocal lenses if I paid the difference ( this may be because it was NHS but at a private hospital)
    Now the bad points .
    Do NOT believe anybody who tells you that you will not see anything of the operation other than a blinding white light ! I could see it all from the individual lights to the tweezers & tooth pick instruments coming towards my eye Not a good imagine, at that point my hands were shaking that much the little finger pulse sensor thing fell off 4 times. 2 days later & my right eye is brilliant , in my left I can see the concentric rings in the lens still . They say it will settle within a week.
    If they have to ever do anything like that again I am insisting on general anaesthetic or I go blind (Or a bottle of Vodka first )

Onwards & downwards.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Interested as there are a number of ways this can be done short of a full GA. Did you have a eye block first, drops then a fine plastic cannula or just eye drops. I had a number of patients when I was doing eye blocks say they preferred it to just drops for those sort of reasons. But to make an efficient throughput the single operator is cheaper and slicker.
    Just asking?
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast