Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: Do you use a Mouthpiece Retainer Strap

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 50.00%
  • No

7 23.33%
  • Considering it

7 23.33%
  • No way, never

1 3.33%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    my AP one died rapidly. I replaced the mask and hose o-rings with shock chord with two slip knots

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gobfish1 View Post
    Like I said happy for you and other.s to add what ever kit makes them happy and feel safer.

Hud .
    I found useful for only a small part of a dive . ( Based on my diving wrecks open sea.)
    Gives limited information. (Nerd to much) Plenty of info on divers not seeing the lights as they swim to shot after jumping of the boat . Not acting on information when it's been given .

Bov
    I don't want my 10/50 deep bail out plumb in and live
    Don't want some divers or my self switching me over to a gas that could kill me in the shallow.
    Don't want the not so hot wob or the weight

Strap/ gag
    well now your taking luck . And a v small window of opportunity . If it's worth it to some fine.

Also I don't bother as the dsv is a good fit and I don't find it heavy or uncomfortable. Don't / didn't do much dpv diving but never felt like I'd lose the dsv when I did. Loc for me would/could be the end. Happy with that . Loc and 2h of deco won't really matter who finds me and sends me up on my 10/50.
    Only down side to my dsv was needing two hands to close it. Something I' never got round to sorting out

Now I'm not saying I disagree that all the above could safe a live at some point if your lucky in how the event pans out . But nothing is a given .
    And it's never just one more bit of kit its more and more ,allways end up more complex and faf . (Maybe if I'd have been a better diver a)
    We all make cockkup. And most of the dead/near miss CCR divers just prove its the same old cockups over and over again .

Add more kit or change the sop or both . Your choice

I could add more on why I don't use some RB kit but won't. My choice may not be your .

Safe diving
    Thanks for explaining your kit choices
    Can't say I agree with much of it, but at least I now understand the rationale behind your thoughts.
    Believe it or not, bananas do contain a small quantity of Musa Sapientum bananadine, which is a mild, short-lasting psychedelic

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gobfish1 View Post
    Don't want some divers or my self switching me over to a gas that could kill me in the shallow.
    In LOC event it doesn't matter, 10% ppo2 will take bloody ages to kill you on the surface, and maybe even give time to recover your arse to the boat. Probably won't drop you instantly either (aviation info reckons 10-15 minutes time of useful consciousness at that ppo2)

I think you are grasping at safety problems there which in reality are just justifying your dislike of BOVs

Each to their own but it's a bit like a driver saying they don't like wearing a seat belt and saying "well it's safer to be thrown clear of the crash isn't it".

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    In LOC event it doesn't matter, 10% ppo2 will take bloody ages to kill you on the surface, and maybe even give time to recover your arse to the boat. Probably won't drop you instantly either (aviation info reckons 10-15 minutes time of useful consciousness at that ppo2)

I think you are grasping at safety problems there which in reality are just justifying your dislike of BOVs

Each to their own but it's a bit like a driver saying they don't like wearing a seat belt and saying "well it's safer to be thrown clear of the crash isn't it".
    Yes I'd agree with you on the 10/50 and loc
    Probley ok for a time .
    Still having been involved in getting a dead CCR diver back on a boat in good weather and no lumps with quit a few divers on board was not a 15 minute job
    Diver was as I say dead so the rapid accent and 2+ house of deco missed wasn't a problem .

True I not a fan of a large heavy bov plugged in to a gas that would kill me swimming to the shot . Or ever swimming to the boat
    Of course all is well if im unconscious. With 2h of deco still to do and only the skipper and maybe the tea lady draging me in to the boat. (Dead diver had a nice new ish pimped unit HUD and bov and bail out . Dead be4 he even hit the wreck) found at side of wreck. 87m no one was going back down to get him as all had 3h deco to do.by the time he was missed . he had to wait a day .

It's not ready about dis like.
    Some times you just have to be realistic .

That the add ons won't help if you don't have the basics coverd. It's unforgiving no matter what bov HUD or gag you have put you bet on .

We move from oc to CCR
    We read all about the deaths
    We worry it will happen to us

We run are bailout sac at 75lpm
    We want a 3h dive
    We hump massive cylinder to cover the worry of co2

We then worry we won't be able to switch to are massive bailout cylinder s
    We stick on the massive bov it's that heavy it's pulling out of are gobs
    We go and add a strap
    On and on and on more and more conveluted and completed. To the point that your a co2 is on the rise with all the bollox your humping and fafing with .
    All set to go
    We jump in with are units off
    We don't put the o_ring in are scrubber. inboads gas still on the kitchen sink at home.
    All good just by more shit.

No CCR diver are not dropping like fly's from co2 hits
    Yet the madness i's all to prelevent.
    All to busy with the add ons to turn the feeking gas on hopping/letting there unit will keep set point as they swim to the shot .

I'll say it a gain IV no problems with the add ons all can have a good out come. But they shouldn't be used as catch all and are way to distracing from the main problems CCR divers seem to love.

The best thing I ever did for my own safety was not run out and buy a HUD . Instead thinking about what I was hoping to achieve . risk. what where when and why. Just what is the better option .

Lets not for get diving for 3h at 70 to 100 m
    Is just as safe as it's all ways been .

I don't remember it ever being safe . More a risky business. If your not in that business then maybe a rethink is required. Or just spend another £1000 lol.
    Even better move from oc to CCR and never dive it past 45m really smart . Don't forget to post your opinion s on a dive forum .
    Rant over enjoy .
    Last edited by gobfish1; 23-01-2021 at 04:40 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you look at this from another perspective, we all drive cars that have ABS and Airbags installed. They are an added cost to the price of a car, they are complicated systems and most of us will never have a reason to use them. But, if we do need to use them, our lives are in danger at that point and thats when their true value is realised.
    I argue that the same rationale applies to a BOV and Gagstrap, my aim is to end my CCCR career without ever having needing them but knowing that they were there if the need ever arised.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd probably like the temp stick
    Maybe a HUD with just a good or sort out
    And a light to go on and off to tell me the celoinoid has opened and closed I'd find the more useful as some parts of a dive .

I'm not interested in co2 bailout Cal's as it kills the fun and pleasure of diving CCR . Even with the big gas reserves your still not sure you won't run out of gas or get back in control. ( Your more that happy to tell me I won't be able to switch to a reg ) Not saying I don't take it in to account. And don't have bail / back up

But I'd rather focuse on my po2 the day to day stuff not the once in a blue moon shit that someone posted about on the interwed.

Now if you think in that stupid arsehole with out the hud bov and gag ( you be right on the money)
    Just remember your no smarter with you HUD bov and gag strap if you don't turn on your gas and unit put the o_ring back in your scrubber let your unit keep set point when you could be doing that not running your unit as a O2 rebreather at the relevant depths and times on your dive . . IV plenty more but I'm sure you all get my drift.

Safe diving to all
    Last edited by gobfish1; 15-01-2021 at 06:11 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    If you look at this from another perspective, we all drive cars that have ABS and Airbags installed. They are an added cost to the price of a car, they are complicated systems and most of us will never have a reason to use them. But, if we do need to use them, our lives are in danger at that point and thats when their true value is realised.
    I argue that the same rationale applies to a BOV and Gagstrap, my aim is to end my CCCR career without ever having needing them but knowing that they were there if the need ever arised.
    There are no (limited) draw backs to abs or seatbelts except cost - can you say the same for gag strap?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I can see some crossover with the car technology theory. However as divers , particularly ccr divers we should be highly skilled and aware of what’s going on. Regrettably many car drivers are not highly skilled and need all the help they can get , I say this not to take the piss out of them, I say this working for the emergency services. The car technology does protect the driver but equally is present to protect other road users and pedestrians. The same cannot be said for ccr technology. I can see Gobfish1 point of view , we must be on top of what we are doing , all the bells and whistles are there to try and catch us when we fail and not as an alternative to keeping on top of skills and knowledge.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    There are no (limited) draw backs to abs or seatbelts except cost
    Hate to be pedantic, but airbags have accidentally gone off and seriously injured drivers/passengers

Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    can you say the same for gag strap?
    I can imagine plenty can speculate about its drawbacks, theorise in effect, but to date since their introduction I am not aware of any drawbacks actually occurring with divers, including me.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanny View Post
    However as divers , particularly ccr divers we should be highly skilled and aware of what’s going on
    Completely agree but it also is a case of 'diving standards as imagined as opposed to the diving standards that actully are'. The reality is that some divers are not highly skilled when diving CCR's, for various reasons. This is not ideal but we have to deal with it. Hence why I argue for the use of the BOV and gagstrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanny View Post
    I can see Gobfish1 point of view , we must be on top of what we are doing , all the bells and whistles are there to try and catch us when we fail and not as an alternative to keeping on top of skills and knowledge.
    I think we all agree with this point of view, and the BOV and gagstrap combo is one of those pieces of kit that may well save you when you fail

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast