Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: Do you use a Mouthpiece Retainer Strap

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 50.00%
  • No

7 23.33%
  • Considering it

7 23.33%
  • No way, never

1 3.33%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd be interested in who started using one to help with the weight of the brick they call a bov. As for history well you know what some say about knowing it or not .
    I only worry about co2 when it's combined with high po2. Heavy breathing I leave to you and your Vicker.

IV not seen a increase in divers having co2 hits or being saved by buddy s.

In fact IV read about CCR divers passing away right in sight of their fellow gurus all sat watching .
    Not sure if a gag was in use or not .
    Last edited by gobfish1; 12-01-2021 at 01:54 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gobfish1 View Post
    I'd be interested in who started using one to help with the weight of the brick they call a bov. As for history will you know what some say about knowing it or not .
    I only worry about co2 when it's combined with high po2. Heavy breathing I leave to you and the Vickers
    It's certainly a nice side benefit, even though the AP BOV isn't that heavy. Maybe I'm just old and fragile nowadays!
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    I was a "considering it" and to answer your question, it's just because I cannot get one that's comfortable for me. I did get AP's one to work for a while but found it presses the top of the mouthpiece against my gumline and makes it pretty sore. If I could find one that didn't do that, that also worked with my AP CCR, I'd be more tempted.
    What I find works for me with the Draeger strap is that if you purse your lips before tightening the gag strap this stops your lips being pressed against your gums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Like I said before IV no problem with divers adding what ever they like to their ccr if it makes them feel safer. I do have a problem with people that insists Evey diver should use this that or the other.

Bit like the bov and HUD threads. Both usefully at some point . But not a must for me . ( I already had a head butting exercise with other members about huds and there use on dives.) Still plenty of dead divers that had a HUD flashing away Bov as well.
    You can't bail out if your unaware of what is happing .
    The rest of you fill your boots.
    I always found better ways of solving some perceived CCR problems . I try and stay away form solutions looking for problems. And the people that try to sell you the solution to a perceived problem
    Hence the history lesson.

Perceived problem having a piss under water

Hence the piss valve . I pissed in my dry suit once in 30 odd year . No piss valve needed .( Cold November day in Narvik) and a rather nice experience for about 10 minutes. Last dive of the trip so all in all not a life changing event.

I can almost guarantee that a diver with a piss valve on every dive And a few dives to his name has pissed his suit alot more than I . Lol I'm not even going to get in to lady' divers trying to piss under water And all that intail s. . Pampers ffs if you must .

And we see more problems of divers drowning in their own fluid s
    Last edited by gobfish1; 12-01-2021 at 04:39 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post

It's easier to fit before you get in, but this encourages a discipline which avoids immersion of the mouthpiece prior to submersion, which could occur when the valve is open to the loop or allow detritus in that can and has compromised non-return valves in other documented incidents.

You are less likely to remove the mouthpiece in water on surface too, so less risk of inadvertently flooding the unit waiting for pick-up.
    JonG
    Thanks for your post all good information .
    Sounds all fine to me for say the oh mine or cave dives once your ready you enter the water .

Personally not fancy being all strapped up and sat on the boat ready to go then find IV got to hang fire for 15mins or so as the tide is still running to fast or the shot has not hit the mark . Pretty uncomfortable even on oc having to Hangfire never mined in full gimp mode. . I like to hit the water as chilled as possible.
    Just that reason alone would put me off having to use the gimp strap. Under or over my hud.

Really don't want to end up like this little guy in the photo below ( ready to jump in ) wibs worst nightmare.

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showt...l=1#post187109

. Seems to have half a truck in his mouth and been shopping for electronics in maplins
    If all that won't save you on your 15m dive nothing will .

Martin must have been over the moon seeing the little guy rocking with that setup and not his lol
    Last edited by gobfish1; 12-01-2021 at 08:31 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    TBF had exactly that scenario in Scapa in Oct on the Barrie and then the Markgraf (waiting on 3rd diver).

It was actually really chilled out just sat there on o2 saturating myself!

If it had been rocking it would have been a very different story/outcome!

The straps are easy to tension abd release, and on pukier days I have stuffed the dsv last minute and sorted the strap on the bottom.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    JonG
    Thanks for your post all good information .
    Sounds all fine to me for say the oh mine or cave dives once your ready you enter the water .

Personally not fancy being all strapped up and sat on the boat ready to go then find IV got to hang fire for 15mins or so as the tide is still running to fast or the shot has not hit the mark . Pretty uncomfortable even on oc having to Hangfire never mined in full gimp mode. . I like to hit the water as chilled as possible.
    Just that reason alone would put me off having to use the gimp strap. Under or over my hud.
    You can just slacken the mouthpiece strap and drop it down and breathe in the air (a Pink Floyd song comes to mind)

Really don't want to end up like this little guy in the photo below ( ready to jump in ) wibs worst nightmare.

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showt...l=1#post187109

. Seems to have half a truck in his mouth and been shopping for electronics in maplins
    If all that won't save you on your 15m dive nothing will .
    Those are the RevoDream HUD things - the flashy lights. Two separate units.

I've got a single Nerd on mine. Much less intrusive. I like nerds.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm with you on hitting the water as chilled as possible, but it's a complete non issue.
    Do your pre breath without tightening the straps up if you want (it's a normal mouthpiece at the end of the day), then the loop just hangs down onto your chest practically in same place as it normally would. Then at some point stick loop in and snug the strap up at your convenience.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Wibs

Ok so bov is out . Strap s over your HUD ready to sort out
    Have you got the mask strap under the hud and is mask on as you wait / chill
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think I have been fairly clear on my dislike of MRS. But are the proponents really concerned about loss of consciousness? Furthermore, do you dive in a tight enough team to facilitate rescue following LOC, either way?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast