Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: Do you use a Mouthpiece Retainer Strap

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 50.00%
  • No

7 23.33%
  • Considering it

7 23.33%
  • No way, never

1 3.33%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Vast majority of CCR deaths are from same reason "not knowing your ppo2". Nothing to do with old kit, wrong computers anything like that... plenty people with latest electronics etc died because they did something which led to them not knowing their ppo2 be that borrowing a mates unit with years out of date cells, forgetting to turn unit on, forgetting to turn o2 on, silencing a cell warning 3 times.... etc. etc. etc.

(lots of them right near the surface too... I always run my unit as near to pure o2 as possible when near surface, don't need any monitoring at all then, in fact my first home build didn't have any electronics at all. Would definitely recommend trying that, teaches you a lot)
    The kit comment was more about where the 'computers' are. For example an old handset will be harder to read than a wrist-mounted OLED display, or an eye-mounted Nerd. One thing I've found is even though there's a Nerd display in my eyeline, I have to constantly remember to look at it, particularly when a lot's going on, e.g. bag-up ascents. Would imagine that a set of HUD flashing lights would be the same where your brain filters it out (like adverts on a website).

The not knowing your PPO2 really does seem to be a recurrent theme.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
    Id urge every CCR diver to watch the presentation when BSAC put it up (it was recorded so I assume will appear on the website at some point). It might just change your mind (and save your life). Paul had really done his homework and presented hard data rather than anecdotes to show the difference an MRS can make. Interesting talk though even without the backdrop of MRS promotion.
    I'll have to hunt down a link. I've thought about one for a while but I have a bit of an overbite and a wierd-shaped head, so couldn't ever get one to sit comfortably for long.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Vast majority of CCR deaths are actually from drowning. Not knowing your po2 might mean a breathing gas issue and LoC, but its very often drowning that is the end result. Paul presented it as chain of events eventually culminating in drowning
    Ok but if I fell off my motorbike and smashed my skull into a road sign they'd say I'd died falling off my motorbike rather than from hitting my head on a road sign...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Ok but if I fell off my motorbike and smashed my skull into a road sign they'd say I'd died falling off my motorbike rather than from hitting my head on a road sign...
    And most folk would just say "he drowned while diving" rather than "he didn't know his po2" ;-)
    Believe it or not, bananas do contain a small quantity of Musa Sapientum bananadine, which is a mild, short-lasting psychedelic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    I'll have to hunt down a link. I've thought about one for a while but I have a bit of an overbite and a wierd-shaped head, so couldn't ever get one to sit comfortably for long.
    Ultimately I think it will take the efforts of the instructor cadre to bring about the change. I believe at least one training agency (RAID?) are now going to promote the use and this would be a major step forward. Problem is the main drawback that is often cited (not being able to take the loop out easily) is something that’s probably done most often during training.

There is lots of extra ‘faff’ when learning CCR though but it’s just accepted as part of the learning process and we do it because it helps to mitigate the risks. The MRS should just be another part of rebreather diving ‘faff’ imo. The analogy given during the presentation was that of seat-belts use in cars. A lot of resistance when they were made mandatory but the death rate plummeted and now nearly everyone just puts the seat belt on automatically without question. If this sort of culture change can be achieved with MRS, where we look back in a few years and ask “did people really not use these?”, then I think quite a few lives will be saved. I strongly believe there are people who would still be with us now if they had been using an MRS.
    Believe it or not, bananas do contain a small quantity of Musa Sapientum bananadine, which is a mild, short-lasting psychedelic

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    GUE ran an article on this, Andrew Fock's comments are particularly interesting.

https://gue.com/blog/gag-me-with-a-s...rs-and-safety/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    GUE ran an article on this, Andrew Fock's comments are particularly interesting.

https://gue.com/blog/gag-me-with-a-s...rs-and-safety/
    pH same guy that knocked out the apox user manual . Lol a joy to read . I'm out

When they say military divers ? That be the O2 rigs
    That operate in teams and never deep or long deco .
    Last edited by gobfish1; 23-01-2021 at 01:35 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    And most folk would just say "he drowned while diving" rather than "he didn't know his po2" ;-)
    Yes a fair point but for us with an interest in not getting dead our selves then the drowning is the "road sign" i.e a passive thing you happen to run into when you loose consciousness without a gag strap/FFM and timely rescue

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There is lots of extra ‘faff’ when learning CCR though but it’s just accepted as part of the learning process and we do it because it helps to mitigate the risks. The MRS should just be another part of rebreather diving ‘faff’ imo. The analogy given during the presentation was that of seat-belts use in cars. A lot of resistance when they were made mandatory but the death rate plummeted and now nearly everyone just puts the seat belt on automatically without question. If this sort of culture change can be achieved with MRS, where we look back in a few years and ask “did people really not use these?”, then I think quite a few lives will be saved. I strongly believe there are people who would still be with us now if they had been using an MRS.
    As someone with pertinent experience (MOD1 in July 2020 on a Revo with no previous CCR experience), there's simply no issue with the gag strap in removing the DSV for bailout. It's 'rolled' down and out. For the hero loop clearing, the strap's loosened, slid off the head and the loop held up and shaken. Once done, the loop's put back in and the strap slid over the head and tightened.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    As someone with pertinent experience (MOD1 in July 2020 on a Revo with no previous CCR experience), there's simply no issue with the gag strap in removing the DSV for bailout. It's 'rolled' down and out. For the hero loop clearing, the strap's loosened, slid off the head and the loop held up and shaken. Once done, the loop's put back in and the strap slid over the head and tightened.
    Your going to need a 2nd gag strap to take the strain of all them nerds you have Blocking your view..
    Last edited by gobfish1; 06-01-2021 at 01:29 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast