Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: Do you use a Mouthpiece Retainer Strap

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 50.00%
  • No

7 23.33%
  • Considering it

7 23.33%
  • No way, never

1 3.33%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gobfish1 View Post
    Wibs

Ok so bov is out . Strap s over your HUD ready to sort out
    Have you got the mask strap under the hud and is mask on as you wait / chill
    Don't want to fall foul of me misinterpreting that...

I binned the idea of a BOV in the end; I decided that a grand for something that's not really required wasn't cost effective.

In my short time on the Revo (57 hours from July through October -- was quite poor weather!) I didn't find the gag strap to be at all of a problem. I can't even think which order I put them on, probably mask last.

When bailing out I grab the bailout reg with my left hand and then switch the DSV lever down and roll the mouthpiece and DSV down with my right hand and out of my mouth, then put the bailout reg around my neck in the normal deco-cylinder way and purge it into my gob and breathe. (I do the purge - not exhale - so I can keep gas in my lung just in case it's fecked up and I need to get back on the loop -- need some breath left to clear the mouthpiece. From experience, I'd once forgotten to turn the stage on!).

Putting it back I can either loosen the gag strap or 'roll' the DSV mouthpiece back in my gob and exhale as I open the DSV.

I'm in my early days with the box and I'm really keen on doing bailouts. Just want that completely automatic so that should I need it, no problems.

From seeing that presentation which sparked this thread I do want to try some gag-strap tests, maybe in a pool (remember them), where I relax and see what actually happens with the loop. There was a picture in that presentation of someone "unconscious" and on their back (simulated) with the loop firmly in place. I've a suspicion that I don't have the gag strap tight enough.

Up to that presentation, I'd never really thought of the *real* need for the gag strap. Yes, it's bleeding obvious when pointed out, but I was more thinking that the point of the gag strap was more about keeping it in place and taking some weight off the loop.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    I think I have been fairly clear on my dislike of MRS. But are the proponents really concerned about loss of consciousness? Furthermore, do you dive in a tight enough team to facilitate rescue following LOC, either way?
    No. As I mentioned earlier, I found the AP BOV to be heavy and sometimes got jaw ache after diving, especially if I was hooning about on a scooter. All that went when I got the strap.

Having the loop held in place, without any effort from me, leads me to suspect that if I was stunned after scooting into a cross-member inside the Coln (came close once) then the strap might improve the outcome. If I lost consciousness the loose lips would allow enough water into the loop, and lungs, to create a rather serious problem and, as I often dive alone, there'd be nobody around to improve the outcome.

If LOC were the main reason for having the strap then I'd have given diving and found other ways of doing stupid things.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Think 1 or 3 have posted about solo diving being the sop in other threads
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Note to self. Wear a helmet when scooting

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Note to self. Wear a helmet when scooting
    Be warned, I had more concussions playing American football than I did playing rugby.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I nearly lost a mate on a dive to LOC at the surface. Every single person in the boat was focussed on the young lady trainee diver, trying to get her weightbelt and help her back in the boat and nobody was watching the old boy as drifted away, slid beneath the surface and vanished into 20m of water. He woke up on the way down with a bit of water in his mouth, and the mouthpiece held in place by a strap and managed to switch his BOV to OC. I have no doubt whatsoever he would be dead without that strap, and probably wouldn't have made it onto his stage without a BOV either. He's a knob for not monitoring his ppO2 on the ascent because he too was focussed on the young lady instead of himself but at least he lived to learn from it.

I use a mouthpiece retaining strap and a BOV and a HUD. I generally just leave the mouthpiece hanging from the strap under my chin until it's time to go then stick the mouthpiece in and pull the strap up from my neck to my head, can't take more than a second or two.

Sitting there with stages clipped on is far more of a PITA than a strap ever thought of being and the main advantage of the strap is not having to hold the mouthpiece with your teeth which eases jaw fatigue for me on long dives .

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have had a run in with CO2 fortunately I was with a buddy who was able to get his reg in my mouth. My coordination was shot I could not get my own bale out reg in my mouth. I now have a BOV. Until the hypercapnia I did not need one.. No buddy no bov I would no longer be able to post shit on TDF.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    I have had a run in with CO2 fortunately I was with a buddy who was able to get his reg in my mouth. My coordination was shot I could not get my own bale out reg in my mouth. I now have a BOV. Until the hypercapnia I did not need one.. No buddy no bov I would no longer be able to post shit on TDF.
    What was the cause of the co2 issue if you don't mind me asking

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    What was the cause of the co2 issue if you don't mind me asking
    Did not pack the scrubber tight enough. AP classic.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    I binned the idea of a BOV in the end; I decided that a grand for something that's not really required wasn't cost effective.
    Cost effective? Is your life not worth a grand Wibs? (which seems like a lot for a BOV btw, the AP unit is only 675). It's not really required of course, but only right up until the point when it is. In that moment when everything is being sucked down into the incident pit at an anus-loosening rate of knots money won't be the primary focus of your attention.

Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    I think this subsequent post from BM (and plenty of other accounts on tinterweb about physically not being able to get BO reg in gob during CO2 hit) illustrates why a grand (?) could be money well spent. If you've shelled out for a box + training etc, why skimp now? Even at a grand, it's still cheaper than a funeral.
    Believe it or not, bananas do contain a small quantity of Musa Sapientum bananadine, which is a mild, short-lasting psychedelic

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast