Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: Do you use a Mouthpiece Retainer Strap

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 50.00%
  • No

7 23.33%
  • Considering it

7 23.33%
  • No way, never

1 3.33%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    Did not pack the scrubber tight enough. AP classic.
    Thanks for posting .
    Can I ask have you had co2 problems after you sorted out your packing issue s
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
    Cost effective? Is your life not worth a grand Wibs? (which seems like a lot for a BOV btw, the AP unit is only £675). It's not really required of course, but only right up until the point when it is. In that moment when everything is being sucked down into the incident pit at an anus-loosening rate of knots money won't be the primary focus of your attention.

I think this subsequent post from BM (and plenty of other accounts on tinterweb about physically not being able to get BO reg in gob during CO2 hit) illustrates why a grand (?) could be money well spent. If you've shelled out for a box + training etc, why skimp now? Even at a grand, it's still cheaper than a funeral.
    See there you go again wibs has already posted his thinking on the bov at the moment . And what the cost / risk is with our being told .
    I'm sure he's read all the post on all the forums
    So why the need to criticize his post .
    He may change his mind as he spends more time on his unit or maybe he won't . Maybe he will just focase on prevention for now .
    Last edited by gobfish1; 14-01-2021 at 09:12 AM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gobfish1 View Post
    See there you go again
    I beg your pardon? What the fuck does that mean?

So why the need to criticize his post .
    And you don't ever criticise??

Besides, I didn't. I just posed a couple of questions that anyone who cares about making a hobby that's second only to base-jumping in the deaths-per-go charts a bit safer might want to think about? Isn't this forum about discussion and debate?

Here's a question for you: why are you so anti safety?
    Last edited by Chimp; 14-01-2021 at 09:28 AM.
    Believe it or not, bananas do contain a small quantity of Musa Sapientum bananadine, which is a mild, short-lasting psychedelic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I beg your pardon? What the fuck does that mean?

And you don't ever criticise??

Besides, I didn't. I just posed a couple of questions that anyone who cares about making a hobby that's second only to base-jumping in the deaths-per-go charts a bit safer might want to think about? Isn't this forum about discussion and debate?

Here's a question for you: why are you so anti safety?
    What give s you that impression.
    IV already said at least twice I'm all for divers using what ever kit they feel makes them safer when diving.
    I'm only against people demanding . Or stating other are fools if they don't have a particular bit of
    kit on a rebreather.
    Yes IV been known to criticize others
    When required.

Do you see me criticizing divers that have posted saying that a combination of equipment has saved them or someone they have been in the water with .

No because I have no need to state the obvious.
    Last edited by gobfish1; 14-01-2021 at 10:15 AM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm only against people demanding .
    What did I demand?? How can I demand anything from anyone? Especially strangers on an internet forum.

Or stating other are fools
    Where did I call anyone a fool?
    I think you're reading different posts to the ones I'm writing!

Not a criticism here, or a demand, or calling anyone a fool, but I do wonder about what's behind your earlier question:
    Can I ask have you had co2 problems after you sorted out your packing issue s
    Why would it matter? If the answer comes back no is that meant to be some sort of justification for a BOV not being necessary? Proof that if he had done everything right he wouldn't have had a problem (would this not be stating the obvious)?

Thing is we don't always do everything right. But for his buddy and luck it would only have taken that one time. That one wee mistake may have cost him and his family dearly. Lots of dead divers didn’t get a second chance to be wise after the event or to ruefully regret listening to the 'advice' about it not being really necessary from some random on the internet. And even if everything is done right, CCRs sometimes just fail through no fault of the diver. But then if he’s doing it right he should spot this and be OK, right?

If you think I'm being over-zealous then I'm sorry you feel that way. If it's any consolation I think you're too far the other way and place too much emphasis on divers not making mistakes. I’m not criticising or calling anyone a fool or demanding anyone do anything. I’m just trying to promote the attitude that we shouldn’t rely purely on luck when mistakes inevitably happen, even to the most ‘experienced’ of us (usually just experienced in things going right though), if there is an item of safety equipment that can help out. Sure, rebreather diving is risky and anyone who can't accept that should stay out of the water, but why take more risk than necessary? What other high risk sports wilfully reject safer equipment when it’s presented?

You’ve mentioned a few times now in this thread about divers “thinking” this equipment makes them safer. My interpretation of that is you believe it’s just some psychological salve and that none of it actually works? All I'm doing is challenging that mind-set as the evidence would suggest otherwise.
    Last edited by Chimp; 14-01-2021 at 11:12 AM.
    Believe it or not, bananas do contain a small quantity of Musa Sapientum bananadine, which is a mild, short-lasting psychedelic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Like I said happy for you and other.s to add what ever kit makes them happy and feel safer.

Hud .
    I found useful for only a small part of a dive . ( Based on my diving wrecks open sea.)
    Gives limited information. (Nerd to much) Plenty of info on divers not seeing the lights as they swim to shot after jumping of the boat . Not acting on information when it's been given .

Bov
    I don't want my 10/50 deep bail out plumb in and live
    Don't want some divers or my self switching me over to a gas that could kill me in the shallow.
    Don't want the not so hot wob or the weight

Strap/ gag
    well now your taking luck . And a v small window of opportunity . If it's worth it to some fine.

Also I don't bother as the dsv is a good fit and I don't find it heavy or uncomfortable. Don't / didn't do much dpv diving but never felt like I'd lose the dsv when I did. Loc for me would/could be the end. Happy with that . Loc and 2h of deco won't really matter who finds me and sends me up on my 10/50.
    Only down side to my dsv was needing two hands to close it. Something I' never got round to sorting out

Now I'm not saying I disagree that all the above could safe a live at some point if your lucky in how the event pans out . But nothing is a given .
    And it's never just one more bit of kit its more and more ,allways end up more complex and faf . (Maybe if I'd have been a better diver a)
    We all make cockkup. And most of the dead/near miss CCR divers just prove its the same old cockups over and over again .

Add more kit or change the sop or both . Your choice

I could add more on why I don't use some RB kit but won't. My choice may not be your .

Safe diving
    Last edited by gobfish1; 14-01-2021 at 04:47 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For info narked at 90 are now stocking the drager style strap , just under £100. I’m keeping an open mind , not rushing to get one yet. Equally not having a BOV isn’t stressing me , hard to quantify why just on balance something to date I’ve been happy without. Never say never though I might try it one day.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Why would it matter? If the answer comes back no is that meant to be some sort of justification for a BOV not being necessary? Proof that if he had done everything right he wouldn't have had a problem (would this not be stating the obvious)?
    I think you will find the question was asked because if he has never had another CO2 hit then lesson was learnt & prevention is better than cure.
    I trust my rebreather implicitly I just don't trust the owner

Onwards & downwards.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanny View Post
    For info narked at 90 are now stocking the drager style strap , just under £100. Iím keeping an open mind , not rushing to get one yet. Equally not having a BOV isnít stressing me , hard to quantify why just on balance something to date Iíve been happy without. Never say never though I might try it one day.
    The draegar strap seems to be the benchmark but £100? Holy shit!

Personally I use a slap strap and a couple of bungee loops around the mouthpiece - total cost less than a fiver. No lip guard I know so I guess it's more of a halfway house, but if I let go the mouthpiece it stays in place and stops jaw fatigue. I had the AP version and it was a PITA compared to a slap strap and added no further functionality or performance benefit that I could detect.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Personally I use a slap strap and a couple of bungee loops around the mouthpiece - total cost less than a fiver. No lip guard I know so I guess it's more of a halfway house, but if I let go the mouthpiece it stays in place and stops jaw fatigue. I had the AP version and it was a PITA compared to a slap strap and added no further functionality or performance benefit that I could detect.
    I've had one of my brainwaves - I have a couple of neoprene covid masks, like a giant slap strap complete with stretchy loops! Once this plague is over, perhaps a re-tasking is in order?! I'll have to get the CCR out and see how it feels when a get a spare minute... oh wait!!! ;-)
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast