Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: Do you use a Mouthpiece Retainer Strap

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 50.00%
  • No

7 23.33%
  • Considering it

7 23.33%
  • No way, never

1 3.33%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Don't know if it's the same presentation but I saw a similar one previously. At the time I decided to give a MRS a try. Took a while to find one, eventually settling on a rEvo one on my JJ. Once I started using it I liked it especially on long hangs as it just took the weight off my jaw. Not a total convert though. It can be a bit a faff with a hood. I found getting the mask strap and MRS strap comfortable a bit of a hassle. So I started to go with the mask strap under the hood approach. Would agree with the comments above. For general dives I would use one, however if it's a training dive that involves lots of bailout or mask skills I wouldn't.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use the Draeger one with a Shrimp, either over a hood in OW or in OHE it still fits over my helmet even though it has two side mounted torches on it.

Couple of observations using it.

If the strap is too tight it seems to encourage a relaxation of jaw muscles and soft palate and you can get a bit of a disconcerting snorting sensation, which engages your nasal passages and collapses the mask. Took fucking ages to work this out, but with a slightly looser strap and tighter bite it's very comfortable.

It's easier to fit before you get in, but this encourages a discipline which avoids immersion of the mouthpiece prior to submersion, which could occur when the valve is open to the loop or allow detritus in that can and has compromised non-return valves in other documented incidents.

You are less likely to remove the mouthpiece in water on surface too, so less risk of inadvertently flooding the unit waiting for pick-up.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gobfish1 View Post
    pH same guy the knocked out the apox user manual . Lol a joy to read . I'm out
    Ouch! I think that's a bit harsh. Not being up to your standard on technical writing shouldn't diminish his presentation on CCR safety. We all have our strengths and weaknesses after all. Maybe take the time to check his credentials, and have a look at the presentation, before deciding to dismiss the message? What does it matter who the messenger is anyway if the message is sound?

When they say military divers ? That be the O2 rigs
    That operate in teams and never deep or long deco .
    Military diving involves much more than just O2 sets (if you take the time to view the presentation if/when it becomes available you'll see this). Besides, what difference would that make anyway to the message about MRS?

And the 8-10hr dives using submarine launched SDVs mentioned in the webinar sound plenty long enough to me! (they were mentioned by the presenter as he said he was able to sleep for a few minutes at a time during these dives without drowning by means of correct use of the MRS).

The other reference to military diving was a study of French navy CCR divers where in over 50 LoC events only 3 drowned. All were using MRS.
    Believe it or not, bananas do contain a small quantity of Musa Sapientum bananadine, which is a mild, short-lasting psychedelic

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think the gag strap will go the way of the bail out in that at the start most people were diving Alpinist and either not carrying bailout or carrying enough. I can recall doing 40m dives on a unit with a 3l bailout.

Now if you even suggest going diving on CCR without at least an ali 40 then you are considered crazy.

Ive been using a gag strap for a couple of years, ok, it took a while to get used to, but Im comfortable wearing it now.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
    Ouch! I think that's a bit harsh. Not being up to your standard on technical writing shouldn't diminish his presentation on CCR safety. We all have our strengths and weaknesses after all. Maybe take the time to check his credentials, and have a look at the presentation, before deciding to dismiss the message? What does it matter who the messenger is anyway if the message is sound?

Military diving involves much more than just O2 sets (if you take the time to view the presentation if/when it becomes available you'll see this). Besides, what difference would that make anyway to the message about MRS?

And the 8-10hr dives using submarine launched SDVs mentioned in the webinar sound plenty long enough to me! (they were mentioned by the presenter as he said he was able to sleep for a few minutes at a time during these dives without drowning by means of correct use of the MRS).

The other reference to military diving was a study of French navy CCR divers where in over 50 LoC events only 3 drowned. All were using MRS.
    I did take the time to read them the first time round .

And I know Paul's back ground and so called credentials.

If sleeping on the job is something people aspire to
    Then don't let me put you off

Lol his technical writing . Red head would shit a apox per packed be4 he would let Paul do something
    technical.
    Last edited by gobfish1; 06-01-2021 at 02:12 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I know Paul's back ground and so called credentials.
    As do I (and there's nothing 'so called' about them).
    I have no idea what yours are though, but would still extend the courtesy of listening to what you had to say before making any judgements.
    don't let me and and bullshit posts bother you .
    I won't ;-)
    Last edited by Chimp; 06-01-2021 at 02:10 PM.
    Believe it or not, bananas do contain a small quantity of Musa Sapientum bananadine, which is a mild, short-lasting psychedelic

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bear in mind that the success rate of that French study of Naval divers, should be viewed in the context that each diver in the French study was TETHERED to their buddy. And I donít see much tethering going on in technical diving...but, I still recommend using the gag strap and BOV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    Bear in mind that the success rate of that French study of Naval divers, should be viewed in the context that each diver in the French study was TETHERED to their buddy.
    Very true. A good point (and one that was made in the presentation). Even with a tether though how many would have survived if the loop had fallen out? Quite a few less I would suggest.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
    As do I (and there's nothing 'so called' about them).
    I have no idea what yours are though, but would still extend the courtesy of listening to what you had to say before making any judgements.

I won't ;-)
    No judgements just to meney years reading shite posted on the inter web

Paul's a nice guy so I'm told ( read a few of his papers over the years even liked them. ) Shot him self in the foot with his Deas and Pox connection.

Some just need a drum to beat . Others a stunt dive .
    Last edited by gobfish1; 23-01-2021 at 01:43 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad_Horn View Post
    https://xray-mag.com/content/john-la...2%80%94dies-78
    "On 2nd April 2010 Teledyne Analytical Instruments issued a press release stating that they would no longer supply oxygen sensors for the commercial and rebreather markets. This was allegedly because on 4 October 2008 a British diver apparently suffered from an oxygen problem on a rebreather dive in Egypt. Upon surfacing they questioned the quality control of the oxygen cells. Over time the situation escalated and lawyers became involved. Teledyne settled out of court, and then made the decision to pull out of the rebreather market.
    The action of Teledyne pulling out of providing oxygen cells to recreational and technical rebreather divers was catastrophic. Some divers kept on diving their Teledyne oxygen sensors beyond the time they should. I know of at least two fatalities because the divers involved were using fuel-limited cells.
    However Teledyneís decision was wholly understandable. The CCR market is miniscule and it was alleged that their entire profits from this sector had been used up in legal costs and the settlement."

While the above court transcripts from the 2008 Egyptian issue would likely make interesting reading, more germane to the topic it is certainly thought provoking reading just how many of the 500 odd known rebreather fatalities https://www.opensafetyglobal.com/Saf...ase_100725.xls were recovered drowned; with the loop floating free....

There's a reason a retainer for the facepiece has been a CE requirement since 2003 in order to both prevent the unit flooding and sinking and the diver drowning when unconscious....
    cmon gobbers you must have a copy of that report from a british diver filed away that you can share.

my memory sometimes plays tricks on me so I may not remember it all but in summary I seem to recall a forum post along the lines of 'oh my god, oh my god, I was going to die. martin why did you do this to me? it's all your fault', or am I thinking of a different incident?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast