X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamesp
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by WFO
    It didn't change until triumph went to hinckley and they started building their own take on Japanese style engines but with suspension more suited to british fat bastards which were pretty good. The modern 675 triumphs have out-jappaned the Japanese... although they've got it all made in Thailand to do it...

My mate was telling me about how the old boys slagged off his "Jap crap" then later he waved as he was riding past them broken down...

The men at the top were accountants, strikes me as same way a lot of it goes down when British firms got too big and lost sight of wtf they were trying to actually achieve.
    That would be the builder (Bloor) that I mentioned sorting Triumph out.

Comment

• Chrisch
      Tofu eating wokerato
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by F.P.
      Honda I presume? one of the nicest bikes I've ever rode - but then by the time I rode one of those I'd stopped being all-out maniac rider....
      Yes, I still remember it - dark blue. Nice little bike. He traded up to a CB750 but was never a balls-out rider. I had a CB500T at the time and it was pretty decent as best I remember.

Originally posted by WFO
      ... The modern 675 triumphs have out-jappaned the Japanese... although they've got it all made in Thailand to do it......
      Basically a Kawa. I had a 955i ST. I really liked it - the engine matched the touring part of the ST. Sadly an old bike and the lights were shit. I mean shit, not just poor, downright shit. If I had thrown a grand or two at it it could have been good but it really wasn't worth it. Had intended to do France on it but the lights then the referendum. Have a GSX650F now. It is OK but the handling is not sharp. My old GSXR750 would have run rings round it. Less likely to lose my licence though

Originally posted by jamesp
      Big John. Funny that a person with no bike background could re-invent the British bike industry by copying the Japanese. I have to say the new Triumphs seem to me to be all nostalgia and no real innovation. Replica Bonnies and bobbers. The big triumph dealer near us had a showroom full of wanabee Harley looky likey things. Maybe just reflective of the (twat) population round here? They went bust first lockdown, £1.2 mill "disappeared". Same management team now in same building under a new name. HMRC licking its wounds....

Norton bust twice now IIRC? Dodgy too.
      There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
      With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• Dave1w
        Established TDF Member
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by WFO
        Perkins still a popular industrial and marine engine. No idea where they make them. Probably not the midlands. They are good though, we use a little 3 pot one on the winch for the gaping gill..
        Still in Peterborough, owned by Caterpillar making a heap of blue engines for all sorts of companies as well as yellow ones for Cat machines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• WFO
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Chrisch
          Basically a Kawa.
          Really? How so?
          The suspension can't be kawa derived as it doesn't break your arse :-D

Engines are a different layout as well notwithstanding having one cylinder missing off the end?
          (can go through a bunch of differences if you want me to show how much of a sad bastard I really am...)

No complaint about the nostalgia bikes here, they look good but might be more reliable than the original shit? Each to their own. Rather than than yet another completely impractical "factory streetfighter"* with a stupid tiny arse end on it that jetwashes your arse if you ride through a puddle and doesn't give you anywhere to strap a tent and enough booze for a full weekend.

*go crash a sportsbike yourself you cheating bastards it's not a 'fighter if you didn't lose blood doing it...

Comment

• WFO
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by jamesp
            Aye, it's good to see them being popular again. I really had a soft spot for the 900 speed trip and 955i daytona. New ones not to my taste really but to each his own.

Modern crankcases etc (and probably most of the rest of the bike) rather than the sand cast shit triumph were using... how are they made? I get the feeling they're pressure die cast?

Comment

• Miraman
              New TDF Member
              • Jan 2013

Triumph engines now used in Moto2. Maybe not totally built in UK, but based on the production triple. Got to be a bit positive for the Brit bikes surely.

Moto2: Trevor Morris, technical director at ExternPro, tells us all about the 3-cylinder that exceeded 300 Km/h at Mugello: 140 HP, limited electronics and many standard parts

Comment

• Chrisch
                Tofu eating wokerato
                • Jan 2013

Interesting stuff. Still leaves me sad that the original three pot had to die in order to be reborn. Ho hum. Such is life I guess.
                There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
                With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

Working...