Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    M.D., Beaver Sports (Yorks) Ltd
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Iain, please add Beaver to the lead weights section, lead shot made in Hull and made into pouches in Huddersfield. As far as the discussion re my great friends at Otter goes, seals, glue, tape, nylon fabric and valves all made in the UK, that just leaves boots that to make suitably will probably never be made again in the UK, there's as much work in getting the boots right as the rest of the suit, many of us persevered until deciding we were well beaten by the chinese. Remember when the UK was the suit manufacturer for much of the world, but making a shorty that sells for 6.99 at the motorway services, or an all in one 3mm wetsuit for 16.75 delivered to your door on amazon or e-bay, which were best part of 150.00 made here in the UK is sadly never going to return, I offered a bloke one the other week at 35.00 and he looked at me as though I must have been pissed;<(((
    Last edited by MW1963; 06-01-2021 at 09:28 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1963 View Post
    Iain, please add Beaver to the lead weights section, lead shot made in Hull and made into pouches in Huddersfield. As far as the discussion re my great friends at Otter goes, seals, glue, tape, nylon fabric and valves all made in the UK, that just leaves boots that to make suitably will probably never be made again in the UK, there's as much work in getting the boots right as the rest of the suit, many of us persevered until deciding we were well beaten by the chinkys. Remember when the UK was the suit manufacturer for much of the world, but making a shorty that sells for 6.99 at the motorway services, or an all in one 3mm wetsuit for 16.75 delivered to your door on amazon or e-bay, which were best part of 150.00 made here in the UK is sadly never going to return, I offered a bloke one the other week at 35.00 and he looked at me as though I must have been pissed;<(((
    Is it necessary to refer to Chinese people in that term?

M.D., Beaver Sports (Yorks) Ltd
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    They are Chinese now, please accept my sincere apologies as a result of a 70s upbringing....

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1963 View Post
    Iain, please add Beaver to the lead weights section, lead shot made in Hull and made into pouches in Huddersfield. As far as the discussion re my great friends at Otter goes, seals, glue, tape, nylon fabric and valves all made in the UK, that just leaves boots that to make suitably will probably never be made again in the UK, there's as much work in getting the boots right as the rest of the suit, many of us persevered until deciding we were well beaten by the chinkys. Remember when the UK was the suit manufacturer for much of the world, but making a shorty that sells for 6.99 at the motorway services, or an all in one 3mm wetsuit for 16.75 delivered to your door on amazon or e-bay, which were best part of 150.00 made here in the UK is sadly never going to return, I offered a bloke one the other week at 35.00 and he looked at me as though I must have been pissed;<(((
    It would be my pleasure I didn't know you manufactured lead weights.
    I had assumed it was Wally Lumb that supplied the UK diving industry with it's lead.
    And for that reason consider yourself included.

I will also revise the list and add you in together with a couple of others Marlow ropes and I think the cave diver folk for a good balance with DMM. I must be honest I wasnt sure to add Lumb Bros on the list in the first place due the the mass of other imported stuff they do. Similar with yourselves why I didnt include Beaver Sports on the original draft of the list

It was also this aspect that was the main reason for excluding all the wet suit, dry suit folk.
    I ommited Typhoon and Northern Diver pretty for pretty much for the same reason,

I'm also having second thoughts about Divex although they manufacture rebreathers in the UK but only for the military so making it look a tad unfair to SMP who as I explained earlier are a fabricator and not a manufacturer. If so then Fibron Bx will also be removed as they are only supporting commercial diving. Open Safety may also be removed to keep the peace.

Bowstone Products would have made it if they had'nt stopped manufacture.
    Narked at 90 was another consideration and I'm surprised no one suggested them but they are also off the list as now being considered purely an importer distributor.

I also deliberatly didnt name the UK sub component manufactures in the UK to the dry suit wet suit industry that is until Graham Hong Kong cocked it up. It would have been a much bigger list if I had.

I do sympathise with you regarding the decimation of the UK dry suit wet suit section of the diving industry by the chinese but also consider a large responcibility for this rest with and was undertaken by the big international players including Aqualung, Scubapro etc with soft goods being supplied from the factories in Vietnam Cambodia Hong Kong and Taiwan not forgetting the Free trade area in Mexico who make fabric components mask wet suits neoprene products and even buoyancy jackets for our American cousins.

I also couldn't find one single face mask manufacturer in the whole of the UK save one who makes for Poseidon and a full face mask at that go figure. Not a single fin manufacturer also not since Roy Bryant retired and his Sub Aqua Products Jet fin Moulding tool was scrapped.

I needed to make the list for nothing else than simply to show fellow divers just who is manufacturing British made Diving Equipment in the UK at the start of 2021. Time will tell if anyone gets to make another list next year. Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. Iain
    Last edited by iain/hsm; 06-01-2021 at 10:21 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    I needed to make the list for nothing else than simply to show fellow divers just who is manufacturing British made Diving Equipment in the UK at the start of 2021.
    For what reason though? And who really cares anyway?

We live in the 21st century. A globalised world where some parts do one thing and other parts do something else. What part a post-Brexshit UK will do remains to be seen. Maybe we could corner the market on meaningless internet forum lists?
    Believe it or not, bananas do contain a small quantity of Musa Sapientum bananadine, which is a mild, short-lasting psychedelic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
    You're the only person on this thread that has an issue with it. Lots of other people do care, as can been seen from their replies. If you don't share those concerns, fair enough, your choice.... so leave the thread to those that do.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    Gong hei fat choy.......... to you and all.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    Gong hei fat choy.......... to you and all.
    You're a month early!
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimp View Post

We live in the 21st century. A globalised world where some parts do one thing and other parts do something else. What part a post-Brexshit UK will do remains to be seen. Maybe we could corner the market on meaningless internet forum lists?
    Do you want the reason for the list or the background surrounding it, that prompted the list to be posted in the first place.

You see those that care about the UK Diving Industry will understand both aspects while those that dont understand cannot as they live in blind ignorance. That may also serve as good enough an explanation to your "21st century" comment, our position within Europe and your "parts do something do something else" confusion.

There are others on the forum that have posted in this thread with purely distructive intent, Maybe we could corner them and give the list some market meaning ranging from the simple ignorance through the vested interest stage onto outright jealousy.

Finally I do understand from your perspective that the reasons may not concern you. What does and should is your stated lack of care.
    You really do need to care, it will affect you and your diving if you don't. Futher if you continue it will affect you badly.
    Last edited by iain/hsm; 07-01-2021 at 10:01 AM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    You're a month early!
    Nickpicks nitpicks

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast