Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    There were a few around last year alright. We had them on the Empire Heritage and the Justicia too. Both mid 60s
    Pretty cool photo bomb

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Never realised that seals dived so deep, nor lived that far offshore.

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    two weeks in Aug 2021 - can't wait.

Last year we had seals on Pinto (55m), Amazon (115m), Justicia (69m) (depths based on memory so likely not completely correct)
    Justicia 72 by the scour on the anchor.

But my final dive on her, sea was flat calm so I could hold @ 0.3m stop. A school of fish all around me surging. Surfaced to loyal watchers ladder about 10 ft away and a seals head 5:ft away.

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    Justicia 72 by the scour on the anchor.

But my final dive on her, sea was flat calm so I could hold @ 0.3m stop. A school of fish all around me surging. Surfaced to loyal watchers ladder about 10 ft away and a seals head 5:ft away.

B
    All we found on the Justicia were loose square windows and electric deck light fittings
    Seemingly I am a wannabe JJ wanker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That Type XXI was my "Ambition Dive"; but as my gas diving days are behind me now, not one I will ever achieve.
    I bottled two trips out there on the grounds of cost, one was a good trip to miss, it went sideways.
    Should have gone out on Watcher when I was still single.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    That Type XXI was my "Ambition Dive"; but as my gas diving days are behind me now, not one I will ever achieve.
    I bottled two trips out there on the grounds of cost, one was a good trip to miss, it went sideways.
    Should have gone out on Watcher when I was still single.
    For me a sub is a sub. I dont get the fascination. I prefer the likes of U481 where it was burst open near the conning tower and you can see the controls. From the outside, to me, they are all identical. That view is heretical to some but it is what it is
    Seemingly I am a wannabe JJ wanker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    For me a sub is a sub. I dont get the fascination. I prefer the likes of U481 where it was burst open near the conning tower and you can see the controls. From the outside, to me, they are all identical. That view is heretical to some but it is what it is
    A common view, except that Hull is about 20~30 years ahead of anything else at the time.

You ever see the film where a US carrier gets taken back in time, to Pearl Harbour before the Japanese attack?
    Ends up with the Nuclear powered Enterprise Launching a squadron of F14s to intercept the Japanese fleet.

The Type XXI is damn near in that league, they look more like a Nuc than a Pig boat.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I love subs, the k class boats off May Island are awesome dives, maybe due to their size and unusual design.

Maybe it's the tenuous link between diver and the former crew, or the fact that they are still in their natural environment, seemingly resting waiting for a sepulchral call to arms.

Or maybe it's cos the nav is easy!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    The Type XXI is damn near in that league, they look more like a Nuc than a Pig boat.
    Whilst on my first Malin trip, on Loyal Watcher, it was at the stern of U2511 (where the flappy and whirling things reside) that I decided to book my mod1 upon my return from Malin. My bill at the end of the week reinforced that decision and it is one I never regret.

It's fairly poor video as it was recorded with my Fuji F11 but this was my best effort on the day

The recording from my original GoPro Hero covered the entry (with obvious typo) shows the wreck as we first saw it...
    Last edited by dwhitlow; 01-01-2021 at 12:57 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12