Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DPV / scooter - hints and tips

Santa's been very nice to me this year. Now have a shiny new Blacktip DPV/scooter waiting for it's first dive.

The only time I've used a scooter was 8 years ago with one of the recreational SeaDoo type scooters. Brilliant fun!

Have never used a technical scooter before, so looking forwards to this very much.

I'm pretty much going to give it a go; jump in and see how things are. Obviously as it's off-season, it'll be in a puddle. What kind of things should I aim to do with it?

I'm thinking that I should:
    * work out neutral buoyancy and trim with it -- literally stopped and it should be neutral.
    * work out how to steer the thing! Definitely in tightly controlled movements; slow and work up to faster later.
    * do drills such as out of gas, reading gauges (will be OC at first, CCR after)
    * work out how to clip it off when decompressing (any tips for that? what do you do?)

For the more experienced amongst you, what kind of things should I look out for? Any specific drills to do? What does "good" look like?

The aim is to be able to jump in the sea in Feb/March, weather depending, and be able to have an overview of the whole wreck for a change.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Make sure it pulls you from the crotch rather than putting strain on your arm. You could do worse than spend a day with an instructor as there is a bit to learn. I’ve only used one a couple of times and it wasn’t rocket science but I don’t know the things that I don’t know hence I’d maybe suggest some professional assistance

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not massively experienced however;
    * Sort out the Compass mounting angle for ease of read when at speed without changing your mount position.
    * Fettle the harness position to get the best ride without getting washed down by the prop and getting the greatest comfort with harness setup for a long haul with arms the most relaxed / unstressed.
    * Practise tight turns by grabbing the front and pulling / it round.
    * Practise being towed by a buddy c/w DPV, or towing a buddy c/w inoperative DPV
    * When it is optimal mark your harness so you can go straight to set point on the next ride without faffing, adjusting and wasting bottom time or gas.

Rgds

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Make sure you remember the basics like time depth gas PPO2. A friend was oblivious when his solenoid had stuck open while scootering for the first time. .. Fortunately his buddy saw the flashing HUD and got him to OC. With hindsight he agreed I was correct and the Salsette was not the ideal place to learn a scooter.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A bit of training/coaching probably a good idea.

Specifically on the blacktip, when working out weights to get it neutral etc bear in mind that the o rings compress at depth so if you have it neutral at the surface it will be a little bit negative at depth. I prefer it a bit positive on the surface and neutral at depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Don't forget that looping the loop knocks 5 minutes off your deco obligation but barrel rolls are deco neutral.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've got some great tips.

Bear in mind your free swimming buddy does not have the cervical dexterity of an owl.

It is considered good etiquette to tow your free swimming buddy as often as possible, but especially if they are on the verge of a hypercapnic incident just trying to get to the shot.

A large frontal grip mounted on the scooter is considered essential to allow your free swimming buddy to anchor you and your precious fucking scooter to a convenient section of wreckage whilst you twat about launching an SMB in a "moderate" current, with a larger surface area than your free swimming buddy, catching said current.

If you are taking a scooter in with you, don't fail to capitalise on it's usefulness and scout out the shot when your free swimming (numpty) buddy has failed to relocate it. This is considered even more prescient when said numpty has left his strobe on said shot never to be seen again, well by me at least.

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DPV / scooter - hints and tips

Quote Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
    Don't forget that looping the loop knocks 5 minutes off your deco obligation but barrel rolls are deco neutral.
    And a split S is just the coolest way to leave a dive site.

Donít go down under power, donít go up under power. Nose clip rh chest d ring on a double ender or arse ring on deco.
    The x scooters fb page is full of decent info (including how to repair the handle when it snaps)
    Oh and you needed to buy two. I did, it made finding buddies easier.

B

Oh and flow stops on bailout - oc gear. The purge of shame is nothing to be proud of.
    Last edited by Barrygoss; 27-12-2020 at 08:09 PM.
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    I've got some great tips.

Bear in mind your free swimming buddy does not have the cervical dexterity of an owl.

It is considered good etiquette to tow your free swimming buddy as often as possible, but especially if they are on the verge of a hypercapnic incident just trying to get to the shot.

A large frontal grip mounted on the scooter is considered essential to allow your free swimming buddy to anchor you and your precious fucking scooter to a convenient section of wreckage whilst you twat about launching an SMB in a "moderate" current, with a larger surface area than your free swimming buddy, catching said current.

If you are taking a scooter in with you, don't fail to capitalise on it's usefulness and scout out the shot when your free swimming (numpty) buddy has failed to relocate it. This is considered even more prescient when said numpty has left his strobe on said shot never to be seen again, well by me at least.
    some of this sounds vaguely familiar 😂😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    Donít go down under power, donít go up under power.
    Unless you are on a rEvo then it is flat out to I believe 200 metres stay for one minute then flat out back up to first deco stop But you need a team with a rEvo 1, 2, 3 & Paul Raymakers
    I trust my rebreather implicitly I just don't trust the owner

Onwards & downwards.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast