Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    Not in the article posted but when Leigh Bishop explained what had happened, a significant contribution was not all the bale out gas was turned on. I can not remember the whole story as leigh told it but one of the things that I took from it was bale out gas must be on

This was to a packed hall at Eurtec 2010.
    Yes the storyline changes depending on who is telling the story. Sad loss all the same.

Ps the post above is what Richie Kohler had to say .

From what I remember a fast accent from 400 to 200 foot was posted by Lee in one article later .
    So not really in line with one another.
    Last edited by gobfish1; 05-01-2021 at 03:21 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Comments/opinions of flow stops on second stages.

* I believe flow stops are "reliable", meaning they don't jam -- or do they in silty / sandy conditions?
    * Every dive, at the bottom or 6m(ish), should do a test bailout. I want to stick to that one as it seems a good thing.
    * With each test bailout, switching the flow stop on and off will become second nature
    * The flow stop will be beside the second stage, so easy and obvious access
    * Reason for flow stop is to keep the regulators 'charged' and not loose gas when scootering
    * Maybe when diving without a scooter, leave the flow stop open?

Are any of those invalid assumptions (especially the first one)?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I got some flow stops if anybody interested

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For me flow stops are more joints, more failure points, further gas flow restrictions and are on the safety system that has to work when you need it to work.

Any step in the process of switching in an emergency has to earn it's place IMO. I use one on my ADV but wouldn't want to add them to bailout or deco tins.

I don't scooter so get that my diving is different, but I routinely check that any deco bottle is pressurised but off.

Deep tin is on and plumbed to BOV.

Given that 100s of km have been covered on scooters by GUE/Karst teams w/o flow stops, I'm guessing there's a better way.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    Given that 100s of km have been covered on scooters by GUE/Karst teams w/o flow stops, I'm guessing there's a better way.
    Stages are turned off unless youre breathing them. GUE CCR is easy since you use so little gas and you just use back gas, which is same as OC, and doesn't need flow stops. In the case of RB80, I think EKPP used to have flow stops on their drive bottles, I can't remember what wkpp use, but having done plenty of scootering on rb80 you can just make sure the second stage mouth piece faces down and be aware, on the breathers if you hear bubbles stop and find out where they are coming from.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Done plenty of scootering with a bailout cylinder turned on. You just need to snug it in properly and make sure the reg is facing the right way. The crack pressure adjusting knob on an Apeks reg is great for securing it with a small bungee loop tied under the cylinder valve.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    Done plenty of scootering with a bailout cylinder turned on. You just need to snug it in properly and make sure the reg is facing the right way. The crack pressure adjusting knob on an Apeks reg is great for securing it with a small bungee loop tied under the cylinder valve.
    Do you use additional bungee to hold the reg in place?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Do you use additional bungee to hold the reg in place?
    A couple of snoopy loops round the cylinder over the handle to hold the hose, and a small bungee loop under the valve to hold the reg. Lovely and neat yet solid and easily get at-able. I have a couple of velcro loops round the snoopy loops to make restowing easy.

The reg also has a BC connector whip with a dogs dick airgun on it. Handy for plugging in if you run out of dil/suit gas and for sending a bag up when you pull the CO2 string and nothing happens.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345