Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rix sa3

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rix sa3

I was interested in one of these and can see a post elsewhere by Iain/HSM saying that they were being discontinued, but that a replacement would be available.

Is this the case?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreatic View Post
    I was interested in one of these and can see a post elsewhere by Iain/HSM saying that they were being discontinued, but that a replacement would be available. Is this the case?
    Good morning. Iain/HSM should keep his mouth shut. Do you want a quick simple lie reply, or the longer version with truth added and we will be here discussing this for the rest of the week.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    Good morning. Iain/HSM should keep his mouth shut.
    Oh come when has that happened or is this your up coming New Years resolution ?
    Spill the beans we have a boring week ahead
    I trust my rebreather implicitly I just don't trust the owner

Onwards & downwards.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Lol
    None diver as of 2018.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Good morning. Iain/HSM should keep his mouth shut. Do you want a quick simple lie reply, or the longer version with truth added and we will be here discussing this for the rest of the week.
    Let's go for the full version, it'd make a change from brexit

You may save me from an MCH6

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreatic View Post
    Let's go for the full version, it'd make a change from brexit

You may save me from an MCH6
    Let me try this again. I dont know if your asking the wrong question or the question is way too hard to fully answer.

To kick off. All the parts needed to build an SA-3 are located in two facilities. One is in a warehouse in Sparks Reno Nevada USA the other in a warehouse near GCHQ in Cheltenham England. And I mean all the parts all the components from bare blocks to little tiny screws and pins. So if you were to order all the parts needed to completely build say an SA-3 then all the parts needed are all available from commercial stock.

Second if you want parts for an exisiting SA-3 or SA-6 or any spares kits for any exisiting build going back the last 20 years then these also are freely available with no restriction same day delivery from stock either Benicia California or Evesham England, I know go figure. These are commercial stock and not military Mil-Spec which add a whole heap of problems to the situation. These parts are refered to as COTS Commercial off the shelf. So far so good.

Then Rix anounced on the web site that the Rix SA-3 and Rix SA-6 are discontinued with no prior warning and no one told engineering or production of this little development. Needless to say it caused a little bit of a stir. Coffee cups did go cold that day when this was found out by a customer telling them. So to resolve things my understanding was for engineering and diving to just stop calling it a (Rix) SA-3 or a (Rix) SA-6 and the problem goes away with a pragmatic solution.

Plenty of parts a good solid following of divers for the product, the best breathing air compressor on the market, and the only divers breathing compressor you can service yourself on a yacht in the dark with a flashlight with a screwdriver an allen key and an adjustable spanner whats not to like. Just call it an SA-3 or an SA-6 simple solution.

Following the news new model numbers were chosen. Model 1S3B-3 for the SA-3 and Model 1S3B-6 for the SA-6. And with different options added you now have model numbers such as 1S3B-6EH-AQS So now no one understands what anyone is building and builds are so secret you would think its the Skunk Works on overtime.

Now add another dynamic in the pipeline for 2021 if we ever make it that far is the SA-6 in kit form for home builders.

Yep option one is for the bare block with crankshaft and bearings all fitted balanced and torqued up with the customentr just to do the tube fittings head fitting and assembly using simple basic hand tools. The Yanks on the other diving forum dont know about this yet so please dont blab it off to them they are having enough problems already what with voting Trump back in for President and it not happening yet and all.

Option 2 is a fully built bare block all assembled up and tested with the customer left just to fit a baseplate motor starter gauges and filter.

Option 3 I'm not sure about this but the suggestion of a choice of paint colour didnt go down too well with engineering as no one had an RAL paint number for the suggestion of "Jungheinrich fork lift truck Yellow" or the other Snap-On "Roll Cab" Green

The other suggestion for a Snap-On "flames" transfer on the fan shroud for the SA-6 Nitrox version, sorry 1S3B-6 was regected and one of the young lads apparent girlfriends suggestion of "Paloma Grey" was also regected because of the grins and sniggers from the old guys who run the place thinking of something completly different.

So I guess once the colour of the paint gets sorted were all good to go.
    Last edited by iain/hsm; 14-12-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I should add in case of any confusion that the term I used earlier of "freely available" is not the same a free.

Also Mil Spec you dont need with all the hydro testing every cooling coil, every head and piston liner, dye penetrant testing of the crankshaft and mil spec hard anodising with a NORSOK M501 Paint coat makes it too expensive.

Also as you are considering a small personal compressor it would be a good exercise to get a spare parts price list for all of the small portable contenders and a ring and valve life expectancy also if you can buy spare parts and how much or if you need to employ an IDEST SITA PADI BSAC compressor service tech to change a cup full of oil and a filter cartridge.

Price wise the SA-3 Heck whatever its now called with filter tower and 200/300 bar charging hose, DIN connector, visual indicator on a baseplate works out cheaper than the Bauer Junior 2 but more than the Coltri MCH6

With any personal compressor you have to nail down first before you buy where you are going to get your spare parts from, how much will they cost (ideal to have the last 10 years of price lists in writing off a public platform) and if you can I do the work yourself.

Then pressure the supplier before you buy anything if you can sit in on a service repair course at no charge just to get a feel for the product and if your making a good call.

Better to waste a day poking about with nuts and bolts in a classroom than to find yourself knees deep in bilge water and oil with broken compressor parts sloshing about under the grating
    Last edited by iain/hsm; 14-12-2020 at 04:52 PM.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi Iain, thanks for your replies, I think that makes it a little clearer.

My situation is that we have 2 keen UK divers (one CCR and one OC) who also dive abroad. We're currently planning from trip to trip and trying to ensure that we leave one trip with appropriate gasses for the next.
    Normally this works, and it's a minor inconvenience should we get back late and have to leave a site with empty cylinders and arrange fills between trips, what with it being bad form to turn up with empty cylinders half hour before r.o.
    Chuck Covid (even tougher than Norris) into the mix and with an uncertainty of diving and cell supply the CCR diver became an OC diver for 2020 at least.
    Where we are now is that we have a little cash saved from not diving abroad and the discussion went along the lines of wouldn't it be nice if we had our own compressor, so cue trawling back through many interesting but until now irrelevant (to me) posts about compressors to get up-to-date with what to look for and how to spec it.

I've seen you say that an inexperienced compressor purchaser such as myself should avoid 2nd hand, but buying the correct compressor for our needs new seems equally as fraught, so, I am learning and slow to make decisions, so probably not a bad combination .

As I see it, I think the decision would be based on convenience over pure cost. The self-build option might be an attractive one, because although I've not actually bought many compressors, I have lived and worked with them.

So, my questions should be:

1) Do I need/want my own compressor?
    2) If the answer to the above question is 'yes', then do I go oil-free?
    3) If the answers to both of the above questions is 'yes', then do I sit tight and see what becomes of the IS3B-3x-xxx?

So your answer is very helpful, because it delays my decision, it'll make me learn more and it may be that a used SA3 presents itself that has been lightly used, loved and kept on a cushion in someone's bedroom.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Let me try this again. I dont know if your asking the wrong question or the question is way too hard to fully answer.

To kick off. All the parts needed to build an SA-3 are located in two facilities. One is in a warehouse in Sparks Reno Nevada USA the other in a warehouse near GCHQ in Cheltenham England. And I mean all the parts all the components from bare blocks to little tiny screws and pins. So if you were to order all the parts needed to completely build say an SA-3 then all the parts needed are all available from commercial stock.

Second if you want parts for an exisiting SA-3 or SA-6 or any spares kits for any exisiting build going back the last 20 years then these also are freely available with no restriction same day delivery from stock either Benicia California or Evesham England, I know go figure. These are commercial stock and not military Mil-Spec which add a whole heap of problems to the situation. These parts are refered to as COTS Commercial off the shelf. So far so good.

Then Rix anounced on the web site that the Rix SA-3 and Rix SA-6 are discontinued with no prior warning and no one told engineering or production of this little development. Needless to say it caused a little bit of a stir. Coffee cups did go cold that day when this was found out by a customer telling them. So to resolve things my understanding was for engineering and diving to just stop calling it a (Rix) SA-3 or a (Rix) SA-6 and the problem goes away with a pragmatic solution.

Plenty of parts a good solid following of divers for the product, the best breathing air compressor on the market, and the only divers breathing compressor you can service yourself on a yacht in the dark with a flashlight with a screwdriver an allen key and an adjustable spanner whats not to like. Just call it an SA-3 or an SA-6 simple solution.

Following the news new model numbers were chosen. Model 1S3B-3 for the SA-3 and Model 1S3B-6 for the SA-6. And with different options added you now have model numbers such as 1S3B-6EH-AQS So now no one understands what anyone is building and builds are so secret you would think its the Skunk Works on overtime.

Now add another dynamic in the pipeline for 2021 if we ever make it that far is the SA-6 in kit form for home builders.

Yep option one is for the bare block with crankshaft and bearings all fitted balanced and torqued up with the customentr just to do the tube fittings head fitting and assembly using simple basic hand tools. The Yanks on the other diving forum dont know about this yet so please dont blab it off to them they are having enough problems already what with voting Trump back in for President and it not happening yet and all.

Option 2 is a fully built bare block all assembled up and tested with the customer left just to fit a baseplate motor starter gauges and filter.

Option 3 I'm not sure about this but the suggestion of a choice of paint colour didnt go down too well with engineering as no one had an RAL paint number for the suggestion of "Jungheinrich fork lift truck Yellow" or the other Snap-On "Roll Cab" Green

The other suggestion for a Snap-On "flames" transfer on the fan shroud for the SA-6 Nitrox version, sorry 1S3B-6 was regected and one of the young lads apparent girlfriends suggestion of "Paloma Grey" was also regected because of the grins and sniggers from the old guys who run the place thinking of something completly different.

So I guess once the colour of the paint gets sorted were all good to go.
    The Homebuilder options are interesting, obviously based on price, but I’d imagine it giving a pretty good, flexible solution that I’d be interested in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd be interested in the 6cfm "kit" as well

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast