Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

900 years since the White Ship disaster

900 years ago today a tragedy took place which would dramatically alter the course of British history. On the evening of the 25th November 1120, a recently renovated ship of the finest construction set sail from the port of Barfleur on the Normandy coast. The White Ship, as it was named, had on board around 300 people, including an a-list of English nobles and the only legitimate son of King Henry I of England, the 17-year-old William Adelin. But when the sun rose the next day, the fishermen of Barfleur found that only a few pieces of floating wreckage and one clinging survivor were all that remained of the White Ship.

https://blogs.bl.uk/digitisedmanuscr...vcEtXsZULJd-lY

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I had not heard about this. I always knew the "Anarchy" came about because the king had no heir but did not know that one had died. Thanks for sharing. Did you buy a t-shirt at the time?
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I had not heard about this. I always knew the "Anarchy" came about because the king had no heir but did not know that one had died. Thanks for sharing. Did you buy a t-shirt at the time? :)
    Well my RN buddies did ask me if I was going to the Mary Rose to pick up my kit bag when I went on my nine months unpaid leave to assist the excavation