Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What sort of undergarment is this?

I'm on the process of trying as much equipment as I can before moving on to buying my own. Since I intend to dive a lot in the Mediterranean, I was considering the possibility of buying a semi-dry suit, hoping it'll be good for the Mediterranean in the autumn/winter and for colder climates too, with some sort of undergarment too. I'm also hoping I'll be able to use it in the summer, letting some water inside now and then if I feel it's too hot.

Anyway, I'm still trying all types of suits (except for dry suits, which I haven't used yet). I had a couple of dives in a lake two weeks ago, on a day which was specially cold for the time of year. Everybody around me was wearing a dry suit, and I was the only one to wear a semi-dry one (a Hollis Neotek) with another layer below, and I must say I felt perfectly comfortable temperature-wise (I've never been too sensitive to the cold). And although I've made a habit of writing down the equipment I use and how much I like it, I completely forgot to ask what it was I was wearing under the diving suit (it was the first time I wore something apart from my swimming trunks). I don't know whether it was a rash guard, or some sort of thermal protection (I don't even know whether rash guards also provide thermal protection or not!).

Can you recognise it from this photo? Unfortunately, I haven't got any from the front where the brand can be seen.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Looks like a rash vest to me

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Looks to me like the old style Mares rash guard. They do it in a different colour now but here is the older one I think is in the picture? https://www.onbuy.com/gb/mares-long-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I should add that there are loads of rash guards out there that will do the same thing. You can get ones that are fairly thin, like swimming trunk material, or some that are thicker, say 1.5mm, so it depends on how much thermal protection you want really. I always wear rash vest and leggings under my wetsuit as it makes getting it on and off quicker and easier and also offers thermal and sun protection
    Last edited by smileydiver; 12-11-2020 at 12:34 AM.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by smileydiver View Post
    Looks to me like the old style Mares rash guard. They do it in a different colour now but here is the older one I think is in the picture? https://www.onbuy.com/gb/mares-long-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    It certainly does, I have two of them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks a lot for your helpful answers! If it's the old Mares rash guard, do you know whether it came in different thicknesses, as smileydiver says? Or did this specific model come in only one? I know I was perfectly comfortable wearing it even though it was rather cold, so knowing the thickness of what I wore would help me decide what to buy (not necessarily a Mares one). I would say it didn't seem too thin to me, but I didn't really pay attention (and I should have done).

greatwhite, since you've tried them, would you say these Mares rash guards offer thermal protection, or do they just protect you from rashes and UV radiation?

Thanks once again!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NW6 1TH View Post
    Thanks a lot for your helpful answers! If it's the old Mares rash guard, do you know whether it came in different thicknesses, as smileydiver says? Or did this specific model come in only one? I know I was perfectly comfortable wearing it even though it was rather cold, so knowing the thickness of what I wore would help me decide what to buy (not necessarily a Mares one). I would say it didn't seem too thin to me, but I didn't really pay attention (and I should have done).

greatwhite, since you've tried them, would you say these Mares rash guards offer thermal protection, or do they just protect you from rashes and UV radiation?

Thanks once again!
    The one in the pic looks definitely like a standard rash guard. For me I wear this under a wetsuit and even this thickness gives some thermal protection. The thicker rash guards I use such as fourth element are definitely warmer than the cheaper, thinner decathlon ones for e.g. The o,Neill type 1.5mm are a bit more bulky under a wetsuit but do offer better protection for colder waters.
    Last edited by smileydiver; 12-11-2020 at 12:40 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks a lot! It's great to know what it was. Knowing that it didn't provide lots of thermal protection but I didn't feel any cold, I think that a thermal vest will be good enough for colder days / water. It seems that the semi-dry suit is the way to go for me: nothing underneath in the summer, the rash guard in autumn and spring, and maybe a thermal vest in the winter. When I get to dive more and more, I will possibly end up buying more than one suit, but for now, this looks like a versatile one.

Thanks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    P. S. Don't I look extra fat in that photo? I find it depressing that the white part should be me!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It gets down to about 6 or 7 degrees in the puddles and sea in the winter. Less for the shallower puddles during a cold snap.

In the summer they're about 19 degrees! And so is the sea in the south.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast