Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Malin Head

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Malin Head

By way of pre-amble, when embarking on my 2nd career in diving there were 3 main strands to the loose plan I had:

1. Get comfy on a RB
    2. Get qualified in the OHE and then build on the OHE course learning and inc. experience in that environment.
    3. Slowly expand wreck diving experience working towards sites like Malin.

1 and 2 have gone well, 3 not so much for a variety of reasons, but after a week in Scapa 2 weeks ago a renewed sense of vigour has been acquired for rust and the plan for a few of us is to consolidate in the sea again next year building towards Malin in 2022 (Covid etc. notwithstanding). A year will permit a trip to the Lot in 2021 (which we missed through Covid) and more time in the sea at normoxic depths.

To this end I'd be really grateful for input on the general subject header with a broad spectrum of information including but not limited to operators, sea temps, run times, bailout considerations, chosen sea sickness medication, scooter (necessary or nice to have), best times of year for weather, temps or viz etc. etc.

Many thanks.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    there are only 2 operators for Malin Head, Rosguill and Mevagh. Both are already fully booked for 2021 and some of 2022 already. Your best bet, unless you want to take on the responsibility of booking a full boat yourself, is to contact the likes of Barry McGill who books weeks on both boats every year, or Simon Taylor Watson who often books weeks with Mevagh.

Both boats are very good, with very good accommodation. Mevagh is closer to a town or pub. Mevagh is a more stable boat. Rosguill is still my preference and I have rebooked Rosguill for 2021 in lieu of Mevagh, just for personal preference but would have zero qualms booking onto Mevagh. Both have good kit fettling stations, but Rosguill's new bunker is world class.

Sea temps are circa 10 year round, maybe 12 in the shallows in late June and rising to 15 by September. Dive times are almost at the discretion of the diver, but 2 - 3.5 hour run times would be the norm depending on the dive site. Depths are anything from 36m to 85 on normal weeks with 100m+ on the Deep Weeks. This year 76m was the deepest on our week, with 1 x 36m, 1x 72m and the rest 62-68m.

Gases for me tend to have around 40-55% He and BOs are 2 appropriate ALi80s to get me shallow with access to dropsets once there.

DPVs are a personal preference. Great if you have one and like it, not needed if you dont. The depths make bottom times short (30-45m for anything more than 60m, maybe an hour on the Laurentic if you get blown out) so the DPV allows you see more of the wreck. Vis can be superb with 30m+ being common or can be pitch black and lucky to see your hand. I find earlier in the season has less predictable weather but less plankton. Some of the wrecks are 50+km out so weather is a deal breaker and I have spent a week in the B&B without ever seeing the boat or unloading gear.

I find Kwells MUCH MUCH more effective than Stugeron but that is just me.

Hope some of that is helpful. Feel free to ask if you want more.
    JJ wanker

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    there are only 2 operators for Malin Head, Rosguill and Mevagh. Both are already fully booked for 2021 and some of 2022 already. Your best bet, unless you want to take on the responsibility of booking a full boat yourself, is to contact the likes of Barry McGill who books weeks on both boats every year, or Simon Taylor Watson who often books weeks with Mevagh.

Both boats are very good, with very good accommodation. Mevagh is closer to a town or pub. Mevagh is a more stable boat. Rosguill is still my preference and I have rebooked Rosguill for 2021 in lieu of Mevagh, just for personal preference but would have zero qualms booking onto Mevagh. Both have good kit fettling stations, but Rosguill's new bunker is world class.

Sea temps are circa 10 year round, maybe 12 in the shallows in late June and rising to 15 by September. Dive times are almost at the discretion of the diver, but 2 - 3.5 hour run times would be the norm depending on the dive site. Depths are anything from 36m to 85 on normal weeks with 100m+ on the Deep Weeks. This year 76m was the deepest on our week, with 1 x 36m, 1x 72m and the rest 62-68m.

Gases for me tend to have around 40-55% He and BOs are 2 appropriate ALi80s to get me shallow with access to dropsets once there.

DPVs are a personal preference. Great if you have one and like it, not needed if you dont. The depths make bottom times short (30-45m for anything more than 60m, maybe an hour on the Laurentic if you get blown out) so the DPV allows you see more of the wreck. Vis can be superb with 30m+ being common or can be pitch black and lucky to see your hand. I find earlier in the season has less predictable weather but less plankton. Some of the wrecks are 50+km out so weather is a deal breaker and I have spent a week in the B&B without ever seeing the boat or unloading gear.

Sorry, this is just not right.

WTF are you doing providing a helpful and informative post?

Where are the comments for ,- you will die / have the wrong kit/ trained with the wrong agency etc

😄

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post

Another helpful hint. When Paulo’s there. His Jonah nickname is often heard 😂😘

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    Another helpful hint. When Paulo’s there. His Jonah nickname is often heard ����

B
    Ha, twunt

The only day blown out this year was the day I had to head back for work for a day
    Last edited by Paulo; 10-11-2020 at 08:09 PM.
    JJ wanker

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks very much Paulo, we might need to get cracking with some dates then given the popularity.

Big takeaway for me is that you dive with 2 tins and a drop bottle, we assumed we would need to be gas sufficient and carry something like bottom mix, 50% and o2.

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    Thanks very much Paulo, we might need to get cracking with some dates then given the popularity.

Big takeaway for me is that you dive with 2 tins and a drop bottle, we assumed we would need to be gas sufficient and carry something like bottom mix, 50% and o2.
    Although Jonah is a twat (he’s my twat) get cracking. If you have spaces... I really need to go back.

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    Although Jonah is a twat (he’s my twat) get cracking. If you have spaces... I really need to go back.

B
    McGill advertised 3 or 4 weeks for 2021 if you are interested
    JJ wanker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by Paulo; 10-11-2020 at 09:02 PM.
    JJ wanker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post

It is up to you & your crew how you want to do it. The boat doesnt provide anything other than the decostation and emergency O2 so bring what you need to make a dropset between you all if thats your plan. It makes more sense than everyone trying to hump shit loads of gas about the place.

A deep bailout of something like 15/55 and a stage of 50/15 will get you a long way towards the surface.
    JJ wanker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast