Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Cylinder storage at home / flat

Hi All,
    I would like to ask you for advise / link to UK regulations as I live in a flat and lately one of my neighbours complained about unsafe O2 gas cylinder being stored at my property to local authority.

thank you in advance

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    Hi All,
    I would like to ask you for advise / link to UK regulations as I live in a flat and lately one of my neighbours complained about unsafe O2 gas cylinder being stored at my property to local authority.

thank you in advance
    1. Define "I live in a flat"
    A 20th Floor Flat in the Grenfell Towers North Kensington. The answer will be no.

2. Define unsafe Oxygen cylinder, its size and weight. You use a common lift to hike it up the 20 odd floors. Then answer as above

3. Define if the flat is freehold leasehold or rented, Look up any lease or rent conditions or insurance caveats.

4. Snipped

From a risk perspective its not ideal, fire risk is one thing but the real test of a green light
    would be the landlord, housing association, percieved risk assesment coupled with your buildings insurance.
    If the insurers are unhappy all bets are off or if they feel additional risk is valid say in freehold property and your premium goes up.
    Then in addition if your neighbours premium goes up also.

The one exception is perscriptive oxygen for medical purposes. But you will need a prescription.
    Last edited by Mal; 10-11-2020 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Racist remark

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you clear all the above , notify your local fire station so they can record type and volumes.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Diving cylinders or 'J's' of O2?

Don't forget the popular perception is that divers use Oxygen rather than compressed Nitrox, no matter how much O2 it contains...

Club member had similar some years ago; we had to get the council official out to the club and meet with the area coach to resolve the issue. The club member had 2x12l cylinders (painted in the old colours for Air0. we had to take the council chap through the whole procedure for testing cylinders, filling from a compressor and where the compressor was (Local dive shop and Stoney Cove). Luckily the owner had the test cert's from Stony Cove and the council bod could follow that up.

But if it is 'J's' then you could have a problem.

Good luck.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    In addition to FP's point There is another more difficult aspect of your "Storage" condition.
    It is one thing storing a high pressure cylinder in your flat

Quite another "Mixing on Elm Street"

Established TDF Member bubbleless's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So is it pure o2? what type of cylinder is it?
    As above / landlord,owener etc.
    How many of your "flatmates" have butane and propane heaters or as part of women's beauty tool, heated curling tounges, etc.
    Have the council contacted you or is the neighbour, just saying he has reported you..?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Ian, I doubt number four is really necessary or adds any value to the debate.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I cannot see any difference between having medical O2 and diving O2 other than volume. A deco can of O2 is no different to a medical cylinder. Irrespective of whether a person needs it to breathe or not the danger to others is the same. In a block of flats any prevention of such storage would be in the lease documents. In my old flat in London the lease forbade the use of propane or similar for cooking/heating but there was nothing as best I remember regarding O2. In a freehold property I can't see it being an issue.

This is one of those issues where what appears to be common sense is not the case. If a flat is sub-let then there might be an additional layer of requirement, depending on the leaseholder's sub letting agreement. I can see a rabbit hole rapidly coming into view. UK leasehold property is best avoided in my experience.

Good luck.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The question is whether the OP can get insurance for the flat if he declares he is storing compressed Oxygen cylinders there. As mentioned earlier, the local fire officer might raise concerns as well.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    The question is whether the OP can get insurance for the flat if he declares he is storing compressed Oxygen cylinders there. ..
    What sort of insurance? What are the terms of the lease? What insurance are you required to have?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast