Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another "what sized bailout" question

I know the answer is the one with enough gas, but it is more what are the like to dive.

I am booking my MOD1 and one of the kit requirements is a bailout cylinder of at least 5l (if I haven't managed to get something by the course I can rent one of the course).

For a significant period after completing the course I don't see me going going any deeper than 40m, with most dives likely to be shallower than that (apart from anything else I will need to do a trimix diluent course later as I am not currently trimix qualified).

On a Inspiration what do people find nicer to dive with, an Ali40 or an aluminium 7l?

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When bimbling in the shallows I always use my aluminium 5l with air.
    It's lovely and just tucks under my arm as if it's not there. A 7l is perfectly fine if you didn't have a 5l but an Ali 80 is overkill.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It’s a compromise. The 7 will do shallow but a 40 or smaller won’t do much for you deeper. So if you plan to progress to using your 40 mtr ticket then a 7 will give you a bit more deeper , although at 40 mtrs a single 7 isn’t a lot , I do appreciate though that your ticket will be a single BO.
    You mention progressing to mix. There you’ll be looking to 2 bailouts and a 40 won’t cover much so it’ll be at least 2 7’s , so why not get one now.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another "what sized bailout" question

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby_s View Post
    I know the answer is the one with enough gas, but it is more what are the like to dive.

I am booking my MOD1 and one of the kit requirements is a bailout cylinder of at least 5l (if I haven't managed to get something by the course I can rent one of the course).

For a significant period after completing the course I don't see me going going any deeper than 40m, with most dives likely to be shallower than that (apart from anything else I will need to do a trimix diluent course later as I am not currently trimix qualified).

On a Inspiration what do people find nicer to dive with, an Ali40 or an aluminium 7l?
    If your plan is to progress onto Mod 2 then Id use an ali80 as a bailout cylinder from the start in order to get used to kitting up with them, handling them, being comfortable in the water with them and also to help getting trimmed out with them. Think of it as training for the Mod 2.and no one has ever drowned from having too much gas under water. Once you are happy that you can manage an ali80 comfortably, Id then go and use a 7 litre for the shallow scuba stuff less than 30M. Just my 2c.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ali80 lol if you can avoid it do so at all cost .
    7l is a shit load . X 3 is a shit load more
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Each to their own I guess but personally I think Ali 80’s are too bulky in the water and too floaty and too heavy out of it. For trimix I prefer a steel 7 or 10 depending on depth and deco as they don’t float about so much. For air bailout an Ali 7 is fine and you can still use it for a rich mix on trimix dives.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ali 7 has been fine for my diving this summer. If you're doing longer 40ish metre dives then you'll need a deco gas. Ali 7's are massively easier to lug around than ali80s.

I've always gone for the 232bar ali7s. Heavier in the water and more gas to use for bailout checking before they need filling.

TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ok looking like as Ali7 then.

Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm glad I did my rebreather course before bailout was invented.
    For mod-2 we used a 7L of bottom mix.
    Only at mod-3 did it become serious.
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel hewitt View Post
    I'm glad I did my rebreather course before bailout was invented.
    For mod-2 we used a 7L of bottom mix.
    Only at mod-3 did it become serious.
    Are the good old days lol .
    Must addmit I lernet more about the unit with out the bail out can on Noddy 1.
    Surpose it's ok if you have no experience with side cans . As seems to be the case for a few of new CCR divers.
    Last edited by gobfish1; 07-11-2020 at 08:45 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast