Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: HID light heads

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HID light heads

Hello,
    I am looking at scavenging broken hid canister lights. How is the ballast sealed in the light heads? looks like light heads are made of one piece of material. How do you get to it?

Cheers,

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sometimes the ballast is at the canister end. Never taken a lightheaded apart though so I can offer nothing more than that.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    the older dive rite ones have the glass held in place with an o-ring. Remove that and the hid and ballast come out of the front.

Some custom divers have a removable bezel.

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The halcyon & salvo light heads are accessible through the cable end. The joint is hard to see. I assume it is machined after the end is bolted on. The screws are security torx (with a hole/pin) and an odd size, T9 maybe. The cable glands are in two parts. A half-width adjustable spanner is helpful to hold the fixed bit that screws into the delrin. It is very easy to strip the thread in the delrin. If you try to tighten the main gland nut without holding the base in a spanner it will just destroy the delrin thread and the whole thing is knackered.

Other thing to check is polarity. On a standard through cord, they are wired +ve black, -ve white as per US wiring colours. When you have an e/o cord this is reversed between the can and the head. All e/o cords are made as standard halves and the polarity on the supply and load ends have to be opposite. Take time to think this through. There is a standard that I can't remember right now, but it's important the can follows the standard else you could plug another light head in an blow it up.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    it will just destroy the delrin thread and the whole thing is knackered.
    You can helicoil delrin but got to be careful about any sealing arrrangement

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Cheers guys,
    I have put some pictures here:
    https://ibb.co/zJytr1G
    https://ibb.co/V2ry4nf
    https://ibb.co/MG3TR6C
    https://ibb.co/8dZJ7zQ
    Interstingly, I noticed while uploading the pictures that there is definitely a mark at the back of the light head which indicate that it is not part of the delrin body. I did not noticed it yesterday. for sure the ballast has been sealed afterwards.
    I do have a spare slug so I knew these were scrweed in. Having said that, the one attached to the body on the picture is not moving anywhere!
    I beleive the light head is an 18w Hacyone. The chap that sold it said it needed a new lamp, which is probably true, but after inspection, there was an attempt to replace the cord althoug oring was udes to seal the glands and not olives which also resulted in flooding.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Could be a halcyon or salvo ballast, although the later halcyon light heads had an O ring seal at the back which this one doesn't so if its halcyon its an early one.

Bad news is the ballast boards were put into the delrin block then the block was totally filled with potting compound which is the black gunk you can see around the cables and which has formed that little round circle at the back of the ballast you can see. Only way to get the ballast board out is to start digging. Chances of a repair are slim though as the potting compound is a nightmare to remove from the ballast itself even after you get it out of the delrin block.
    Rob