Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thales "Rifle warner unit"

I acquired a couple of ex army peli cases recently, that were previously used to carry a "Rifle warner unit" (made by Thales about 2009). So now Im curious, wtf is a rifle warner unit??

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Could it be the Green Laser Optical Warner?

https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/glow

Puts a laser dot on the target's chest so they are warned that the rifle is being pointed at them.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Looks about the right size/shape for the hole in the foam, I think you nailled it. Shame they didnt leave the unit in, could've had some fun with the local cats.....
    Last edited by ebt; 23-10-2020 at 08:05 AM.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    Could it be the Green Laser Optical Warner?

https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/glow

Puts a laser dot on the target's chest so they are warned that the rifle is being pointed at them.
    They were very widely used in the US in the late 70s and 80s where they were marketed for riot control in prisons. There were a bunch of different brands which I can no longer remember available - think one was called RedPoint and another called something like Laserpoint - they all worked in the same way. I guess these days people would assume you are shining a £5 laser pointer at them not something more lethal so probably less effective!

Established TDF Member Iain Smith's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    They were very widely used in the US in the late 70s and 80s where they were marketed for riot control in prisons. There were a bunch of different brands which I can no longer remember available - think one was called RedPoint and another called something like Laserpoint - they all worked in the same way. I guess these days people would assume you are shining a £5 laser pointer at them not something more lethal so probably less effective!
    Used operationally in more recent times in places hot and sandy.

Stepwise escalation in response to a threat might include chambering a round. That’s pretty unequivocal. However, it assumes that you aren’t already “made ready” and inevitably takes you out of your aiming position.

Putting a laser spot on someone carries the same threat without the need to change your aim.