Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The el-cheapo computer depth chamber

Having changed the batteries in both mine and my wife’s Suuntos I needed a way to test them without being able to go diving and not wanting to dangle them in the canal on a bit of string (pretty sure its only about 1m deep anyway).

I looked at the proper watch testing pressure chambers, but they are at least £100 even before the import duties from China, time to see what I can do on the cheap.

Searching ebay for “clear pressure chambers” I found a clear water filter holder for £12 that was rated to 60psi which is around 4bar, so good down to about a pretend 40m then, bonus!

Amazon had a 60psi pressure gauge that would fit on the one side for about £6 and a Schrader valve that would fit on the other end.

All the bits arrived today, time to see what I can break!

So after wrapping the threads of the gauge and valve with plumbers tape to stop leaks, then filling it up most of the way with water so if it DID blow there was only a small amount of pressurized air to explode, throwing in the computers and a few pumps from the bike pump later I present the following…..

Next I need a rig to hold the computers so you can actually see them properly (maybe even the right way up)

In order to avoid an uncontrolled ascent you do need to be VERY light on the Schrader pin.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Looks good. Similar to what some others have used:

http://www.nigelhewitt.co.uk/diving/computer/
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Here was me thinking I was being clever, as always someone else has beaten me to it. Should have done a little more Googling before posting!

Let me tell you about my next great invention, its a special kind of pot that once you have warmed it with boiling water, you can put in tea leaves and hot water, then poor the tea out of the pot when it has had time to steep. I haven't thought of a name yet though.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Or........ just don’t bother testing them.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ever since i had one behave stupidly on me after it having a flat battery for too long i have always been wary of what might happen after a battery change. The last one was fine until it got down to about 2m then claimed it was happily off to explore the Mariana trench. So testing now seems a safer thing to do and it gave me an excuse to tinker.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you screw an 1/8" pneumatic regulator with a BC fitting in, you can give it a squirt of neat o2 as well to test cells. Do a search on clear jumbo water filter housing and you will find ones big enough to put gopro housings and compact cameras in.

Handy hint- get an old analogue depth gauge and chuck it in the pot to give you a pressure reading.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenC View Post
    Here was me thinking I was being clever, as always someone else has beaten me to it. Should have done a little more Googling before posting!

Let me tell you about my next great invention, its a special kind of pot that once you have warmed it with boiling water, you can put in tea leaves and hot water, then poor the tea out of the pot when it has had time to steep. I haven't thought of a name yet though.
    Good effort m8. At least you had a go at doing something for your self.
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Nice. There's a big difference between thinking something can be done and actually doing it.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    nice job. good to see people getting stuck in and doing stuff