Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    M.D., Beaver Sports (Yorks) Ltd
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    I'd be happy to test any new model.

I think most of us go through the stage where we strap a strobe to ourselves so as not to get lost from our buddy and end up stopping reasonably quickly because it blinds the buddy, blinds us when we look that way and there's the constant whiiiiine psht whiiiiine psht whiiiiine psht whiiiiine psht as you swim along. I think you've identified the torch's failings already.
    Indeed, the torch of our Electra Model is limited in ability, but was never intended to be prime torch, we have many other markets that use this product for which it is spot on, our Spectrum model is a dedicated Strobe and perfectly suited for the purpose intended of assisting buddy contact, as is the Strobe on our Electra Model. I can honestly say that over 25 years or so, we have sold the best part of 50,000 of both models combined and have never received any complaints regarding performance, however as mentioned for alternative use, such as shot line marking over an increased distance, for that use I am investigating an alternative model. This would have reduced battery life and probably cost slightly more. Hope to have news soon in this regard.....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gobfish1 View Post
    20k lol in fact lol the full post .
    20k is exactly why as I've mentioned on numerous occasions, diving has become a rich mans only game with snobbery over expensive kit. Sadly, the heart of diving has been taken away, as quite frankly on most dives regular kit's perfectly suited and divers can actually enjoy why they are doing it in the first place!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    Can I suggest you segment your strobes into (a) for buddies and (b) for shot lines. For (b) quite simply match if not beat slightly the trojan light output, battery performance and depth rating with a similar price point and you'll be on to a winner.
    Hmmm, we'll see what we can do at reasonable price, no promises at this stage!!! I think our 'marketing' is perfectly OK for the purposes intended http://www.beaversports.co.uk/Catalo...bes-glow-light

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    Possibly. Either way I wouldn't want an annoying strobe strapped to my shoulder flashing away. It's a bit "diving in the 90s".
    It was fun then Alex, people spent far more time enjoying what amazing sights could be savoured, rather than worrying that their kit wasn't expensive enough to be considered to be in the click!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Of course. UK sea conditions have improved immeasurably since the 90s. Diver-worn strobes can be annoying, yes. But are infinitely superior to the 'buddy-line'. In similar circumstances.

Tools for the job, I guess.
    Buddy Line, totally different purpose to a Strobe Light, which will do bugger all to maintain contact on a drift dive, such as Ballards Down off Poole when it's running......

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    20k...

Certainly one can dive for a hell of a lot less. A full set of holiday diving kit could be had for well under 1k new, and considerably less second hand - or just bring your speedos and rent the lot.

GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) starts benignly enough with a mask and snorkel. Then choose a computer, ooooh, look at all the choices.... A BCD so you have the same one every time...

Then you start diving in the UK. The drysuit will be the most expensive piece of kit, or so you think as you spend 500 on an entry level one. Of course this means your fins now don't fit, so new ones and you're under the influence of the recreational community, so some useless "high tec" fins which you don't know that won't work for proper finning techniques.... Probably over 1500 now.

It's dark down there, so a cheapo torch is required. One of those crappy Chinese ones does for at least half a dozen dives before it stops working. Looking at the other people around, you seriously think about spending a couple of hundred or maybe more for some recreational torch that will be reliable. Of course it doesn't last long and the beam's too wide, but it works. Need your own tin. And regs Will only ever need the one... Now over 2.5k

Then some bastard from GUE shows you that there's life outside of splashing off a RIB. And all your kit's way too yellow. Twinset's are essential for redundancy, doesn't everyone know this?... Backplate, harness, wing, fins, twinset and regs soon follows.... Oh, that torch will never do. Needs to be tight, bright and umbilical. Now getting near to 4k.

Drysuit. How can you be a ninja in that entry-level neoprene suit? Now over 6k

Courses thus far have probably added 2k to that total. At least you've the SMB speciality.

More diving. Ignore the costs of these, but about 50/dive plus gas each.

Want to stay longer underwater... Oh, you need an ali80, plus regulators of course. Ah, the course... So splaff another 1k.

Deeper! Another course. Deeper still! Another stage + regs. 1k gone...

Up to 10k now, and still blowing bubbles.

Damn it's cold. 1k for a heater. Better torch required for the odd bit of filming. Camera. Suddenly spending 1k on a torch seems almost reasonable...

Struth, how much for a trimix fill? Now a dive can easily cost over 150 with the gas.

What does a twinset diver get who's got everything.... A rebreather. Only 10k with courses....

And so on...

Life is a GAS, now it's a full on addiction! 350 for a flashy stroby thing... Yeah, whatever.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I am a simple recreational diver and am fortunate enough to have a holiday apartment in Cyprus. Got fed up of paying the airlines to carry my gear and bought a second set to leave out there. eBay - BCD 20. Pair of quatros 25. Set of Apeks regs that belonged to a buddy's brother with about 12 dives 75. Two 12l steels and some lead from a local LDS that was closing 100. Total 220. Carry mask and computer in hand luggage - job done. Help out Cyprus LDS and get fills free. Not expensive this diving lark. (Costs me more in the UK). 👌😎😇

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1963 View Post
    Hmmm, yes we do still sell the Predator Fins and sell lots and lots mainly for Military and Commercial use, all sizes are available ex-stock http://www.beaversports.co.uk/Catalo...cat=open-water
    Assaults. Got mixed up. They're ace. However even the biggest Predators aren't big enough for a drysuit boot. Booo as otherwise they're good.
    Last edited by Woz; 27-10-2020 at 03:56 PM.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm sure we could easily ... snipped
    Call me a millenial snowflake but this is a shocking post. I realise it's casual and you probably gave it no thought. That makes it worse.

You're the face of your brand on here.
    Last edited by Mal; 28-10-2020 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Cut out the quoted post

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm sure we could easily fix it for you, if you want to send it to us, or call in, would take a minute or two on one of our sewing machines...... I presume it's our Model PPB, which us still readily available, we're out of the most popular Medium size riht now having rejected 500 where the manufacturer made them 8 inches shorter on the webbing than they should have!!! http://www.beaversports.co.uk/Catalo...t=weight-belts
    Er, no not that one. It's the one in these pictures. As you can see the lining is a bit perished.

Last edited by witchieblackcat; 28-10-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast