Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LED strobes - recommendations?

Have a couple of Jotron strobes which aren't bright enough in crappy vis to mark the shot (yes, we know, line off...). Someone was waving a Trojan strobe around on a boat the other day and that was blindingly bright, alas didn't see it in the water.

Thoughts about:
    Gralmarine Strobo - circa 150
    Trojan "extreme" strobe - circa 350
    Trojan "classic" strobe - circa 150
    Pathfinder (non LED, uses a tube) - circa 240

How does the Gralmarine compare with the Trojans? Specifically is the Trojan Extreme worth paying twice as much for?

Any other strobes to consider?

Is LED tech now better than the glass flashy tube thing?
    Last edited by Wibs; 14-10-2020 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Added Pathfinder

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I have the Trojan and a chinese cheapo. Both work (now). Both can be seen from 100m away in Malin waters
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Why did you go for the Trojan (aside from it's bloody bright!)? Did you consider others?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Because they are the dogs bollox. The chinese one I got because it was 30 and is just as good as the trojan.

Someone was doing a group deal on FB
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have the original Trojan and can confirm that it's very bright underwater so I always find a shot at 60m in the North Sea.

Compared to the Pathfinder (which I had before) it's much better.
    Compared to the two Gralmarines I've seen it's much brighter and continues to work.
    Not seen the Trojan extreme but am very satisfied with the one I have at the moment.

M.D., Beaver Sports (Yorks) Ltd
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Wow, amazing only consideration is at that price level!! Beaver Electra Strobe Torch has a RRP of 49.95 and thousands have been out there being used day in and out for donkeys years. Available for les than that from most friendly local dive shops and on line retailers and not made in China:<)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1963 View Post
    Wow, amazing only consideration is at that price level!! Beaver Electra Strobe Torch has a RRP of 49.95 and thousands have been out there being used day in and out for donkeys years. Available for les than that from most friendly local dive shops and on line retailers and not made in China:<)
    They woefully fail to compare to the ones mentioned above.

Hang a trojan or pathfinder on a shotline line beside the Beaver one and the Beaver one looks like something that came from an Xmas cracker ... sorry

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Because they are the dogs bollox. The chinese one I got because it was 30 and is just as good as the trojan.

Someone was doing a group deal on FB
    I got one on that FB deal as well. Never used it. I have a pathfinder as well. Worth every penny

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    I got one on that FB deal as well. Never used it. I have a pathfinder as well. Worth every penny

B
    I will take it as another spare if you want. The rate I drop the cunting things I would need more spares

M.D., Beaver Sports (Yorks) Ltd
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    They woefully fail to compare to the ones mentioned above.

Hang a trojan or pathfinder on a shotline line beside the Beaver one and the Beaver one looks like something that came from an Xmas cracker ... sorry
    Have you tried the recent new models as a comparison?? Perfectly OK for the purpose intended, let's face it a strobe light in diving use is intended to be used within a comparatively near distance. And pound for pound I'm certain it's sure fit for purpose...... Maybe we should send you one!!!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast