Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1963 View Post
    Have you tried the recent new models as a comparison?? Perfectly OK for the purpose intended, let's face it a strobe light in diving use is intended to be used within a comparatively near distance. And pound for pound I'm certain it's sure fit for purpose...... Maybe we should send you one!!!
    Send me one and I'll stick it next to my Trojan and video it for you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried the recent new models as a comparison?? Perfectly OK for the purpose intended, let's face it a strobe light in diving use is intended to be used within a comparatively near distance. And pound for pound I'm certain it's sure fit for purpose...... Maybe we should send you one!!!
    If you would like me to trial one and review it, I can do that. I am away til the end of April though.

For a shotline strobe, you want power, power and more power. Something that is too weak wont be visible from the wreck to show you where the shotline is.

At a MINIMUM, I would want it to show its presence from 50m away in poor conditions and further in good conditions.

Out of interest, have you trialled it against the Trojan et al? If it is a serious contender, at a fraction of the cost then you are onto a serious winner
    JJ wanker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Just looking at the specs of the lights. The Tojan extreme works off a 16.6v battery and lasts upto 15 hours. The Beavers work off 3x AA so 4.5v and last 72hours.

Without knowing anything about the bulbs, the power consuption alone tells me the Trojan is nearly 15 times the power drain
    Last edited by Paulo; 21-10-2020 at 07:53 AM.
    JJ wanker

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Last edited by graham_hk; 02-12-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    haha - what happened to navigation - never understood the need tbh
    I have missed the shot WITH strobes in excellent vis

Shot to boilers, returned to boilers, couldnt find shot. I need all the help I can get
    Last edited by Paulo; 21-10-2020 at 08:24 AM.
    JJ wanker

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Seems a really useful thing to find the shot's if it's been moved or dragged. Lining off is quite restrictive, albeit very effective.

Trojan extreme vs Trojan "classic" - anybody seen them side by side?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Another point for people to consider is the amount of times I have seen strobes a metre of the seabed, at that height it is easily blocked by wreckage etc . It needs to be attached a reasonable way up the shot relative to position of shot & height of wreck. Also remember to actually look upwards to see it !
    Wibs if you want you can borrow my Pathfinder & see what you think . If you lose it you pay for it !
    I trust my rebreather implicitly I just don't trust the owner

Onwards & downwards.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    +1 for the Trojans, have seen them in use and they are incredibly bright. A fella I've dived with uses two of them each set at different flash rates and this is very effective. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. What's the Chinese ones like in comparison? Do they have the same reliability issues as the Chinese torches I've had experience of ie not reliable??

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Wow, amazing only consideration is at that price level!! Beaver Electra Strobe Torch has a RRP of 49.95 and thousands have been out there being used day in and out for donkeys years. Available for les than that from most friendly local dive shops and on line retailers and not made in China:<)
    The switch ring is too weak and it comes on in your bag or pocket and flattens your batteries. And compared to the other ones mentioned it's like a candle in a jar and not really bright enough for marking a shot. Fine for strapping to the shoulder of your BCD and annoying the crap out of your buddy though.

I've put a Tektite 200 on a shot line next to a Beaver strobe and it was like the Beaver one wasn't even on.
    Last edited by Woz; 21-10-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    So the takeaway here is that the Beaver strobes aren’t fulfilling the requirements demanded of a shot line device, in terms of brightness at the very least. Let’s factor the relative RRP between the Beaver and Trojan/Pathfinders in, and it’s unsurprising they won’t compare in this regard. The Beaver strobes seem to be marketed as general marking devices - diver worn/waypoint markers. Martin’s bang-for-buck comment seems pretty accurate.

The constant Beaver-bashing is kinda boring. The rotary switch on those strobes is pants tho.
    I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast