Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Non-UK Spec Cylinders & Testing

Hello all

When I returned to blighty I did a clear out of non-UK spec cylinders because I just knew that they would be a PITA.

Except I missed one - a 7l stage! The test centre went "ooooh-errr" and said "can't be filled or tested". Now, having read the real words I suspect that this is just IDEST cartel b**** but does anyone have any knowledge or experience of getting such things into service/test in the UK? It is currently buried under a mountain of crap belonging to my daughter who is currently "between flats" but I am fairly sure its a DOT one. Ironically the bloody thing is still in test with forrin stamps on it as were all the other cylinders but I bit the bullet to get IDEST stamps to reduce the PITA factor.

Or do I have a lump of ally for the scrap yard?

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Try FlameSkill. I think they are Ipswich based. They claim to be able to test DOT cylinders.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Also try G&H used to be in Feltham

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by N Bailey View Post
    Also try G&H used to be in Feltham
    Thanks - they are now out near Heathrow I think - they were almost closed due to COVID (open one day a week and quoting a 4-5 week turnaround) when I spoke to them in July but will try them again, I have no urgency for the stage at this stage!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Even if you can get them tested, this doesn't guarantee fills, probably more grief somewhere down the line.

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What he said^

I have a DOT ally 80 that was filled with 15/55 for deep bailout and there was only one place who I could be sure would fill it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Last edited by graham_hk; 02-12-2020 at 07:00 PM.

M.D., Beaver Sports (Yorks) Ltd
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    From what I've read after the 1st of January and the Brexshit clusterfvck, the UK are going to once again have it's own standards. with a 5 year transition period, I would imagine that the UK will broadly stay with the EU standards, but like everything it remains a great unknown and just maybe DOT will be the preffered standard/stamping, so may be best just don't get shut for now. It's going to create a serious headache for distributors such as my company as we sell around 50% of our cylinders to EU markets. That said, the small profits made traditionally from cylinders are just better than having money in he bank, so many will simply throw the towel in. After nearly 4 1/2 years I'm still waiting for at least one person to advise what benefit all this crap may bring to them!! He sits back and awaits being called a Labour Lefty because he feels that Brexshit is Bollocks, but in this instance you may well have a valid claim:<)))

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1963 View Post
    From what I've read after the 1st of January and the Brexshit clusterfvck, the UK are going to once again have it's own standards. ..
    It is also important to note that the CE marking required on some equipment will no longer be valid. (I think there is a long running issue with rebreathers in training?)

As of Jan 1st next year all equipment needing a CE mark will be required to have a CA mark and UK testing. The UK CA mark will not be recognised by the EU and so products for export to the EU will also require a CE marking and approved EU testing.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-th...1-january-2021

I have at least one customer that is already giving me grief about this - grief that I have passed on to my suppliers. The new marking has a one year transition period which I imagine will be milked to death and old products that were manufactured before the due date will still be accepted - I imagine this will be fraudulently exploited also.

Nevertheless it is the law and the UK is not short of jobsworths so I imagine it will bite a few people in the bum at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by MW1963 View Post
    Brexshit is Bollocks
    That, it most certainly is. But it is for real and a large number of halfwits still think it is a good idea. Next year is going to be interesting.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Don't scrap it I'll have it if you can't get it sorted

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast