Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    In other parts of the world it may well be the case that previously fit individuals may have survived without hospitalisation and with significant residual damage. The woeld can not go back to normal after this pandemic. There will be a new normal!
    Completely agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    One of the members of our club went down with Covid quite early on in the pandemic. Symptoms were no worse than a heavy cold but he failed the lung function test on his first medical after recovering which was taken 6 weeks later. He eventually passed after 3 months.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Absolutely, I get that there was a need for caution, however the self declarations can be modified to accommodate or there should be a set decision. What Iíve had is pretty good, declaration for a year and declaration after a year which is indefinite.

Iíve definitely seen numerous people with cardiac issues following more severe covid and thereís often been a question whether itís been a contributing factor in strokes etc on jobs weíve been to

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    One of the members of our club went down with Covid quite early on in the pandemic. Symptoms were no worse than a heavy cold but he failed the lung function test on his first medical after recovering which was taken 6 weeks later. He eventually passed after 3 months.
    I don't find this surprising. 3months after my ITU admission for septicaemia (not Covid long before) I still had Lung Function slightly diminished from previous, not sufficient to prevent diving but back to previous 2 years later. It takes time if ever to recover fully from a severe lung insult. It should be checked out the question is can a declaration of no or minimal illness be taken as an indicator of lack of problem. Hopefully the answer is yes.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So I’ve got covid for a second time, just like a heavy cold, no dyspnea, no desaturation at rest or on exertion. I hope I don’t have to get another medical when I’m full recovered

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sim667 View Post
    So I’ve got covid for a second time, just like a heavy cold, no dyspnea, no desaturation at rest or on exertion. I hope I don’t have to get another medical when I’m full recovered
    Sorry to hear that - get well soon! I hear on the grapevine that some new guidance from the HSE for those "at work" might be coming out in a bit, so hopefully all the advice from the likes of DAN etc. will also be getting a refresh too.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Sorry to hear that - get well soon! I hear on the grapevine that some new guidance from the HSE for those "at work" might be coming out in a bit, so hopefully all the advice from the likes of DAN etc. will also be getting a refresh too.
    I think it needs it, the covid of now is very different to the covid of 2020. We’ve not done a lot of things well at all the last two years, but the one thing we’ve done very well is a vaccination program and I feel that a lot of focus has been paid to managing the here and now of covid, but not the future of it becoming and managable disease like flu, which at this point is pretty much the endgame.
    Last edited by sim667; 10-01-2022 at 01:23 AM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think it needs it, the covid of now is very different to the covid of 2022. We’ve not done a lot of things well at all the last two years, but the one thing we’ve done very well is a vaccination program and I feel that a lot of focus has been paid to managing the here and now of covid, but not the future of it becoming and managable disease like flu, which at this point is pretty much the endgame.
    Agreed, here in Scotland the SNP are looking to implement permanent restrictions to separate us from the rest of the U.K.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I think it needs it, the covid of now is very different to the covid of 2022. We’ve not done a lot of things well at all the last two years, but the one thing we’ve done very well is a vaccination program and I feel that a lot of focus has been paid to managing the here and now of covid, but not the future of it becoming and managable disease like flu, which at this point is pretty much the endgame.
    It definitely needs it. At the moment, anyone who has ever had a positive diagnosis (which is a lot of people) must get a doctor's sign-off. That's one thing that's not ideal but manageable (I guess) for those of us who enjoy diving and are wanting to do a course for whatever reason or going diving on holiday, but who is going to want to try scuba if they have to stump up that kind of money and risk finding out they dislike it?! And for those who can't be bothered to pay, it's just more encouragement to lie on the medical form.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I had a positive test (but thankfully, asymptomatic infection) in October and only realised this ahead of a Helitrox course I was due to take at the end of November, when I had to complete an additional self declaration medical.

Speaking to a couple of UKDMC referees at the time, they informed me of a BHA/UKDMC conference taking place early November where this was under discussion - one area of concern was the number of fitness tests which would be required in the event that the virus begins to affect more and more divers. As others have said, the scorecard is very cautious (lots of unknowns I guess!) and so even my completely asymptomatic case means a fitness test but not before 90 days have passed since recovery.

So, at present I have a fitness test /medical booked in at DDRC at the end of the month… fingers crossed all good and looking forward to getting back in the water soon!

Down at the club this week and we now have 4-5 further members who have had COVID (was just myself, and one other who had a fairly severe case early 2020 until now) so at the rate it’s spreading, it seems that unless the advice does change, I’m going to be rather short on buddies come the end of the month!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123