Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Trip cancelled due to COVID-19

TL;DR - what have you lot done with cancelled holidays?

So, just had a trip to Red Sea with BO2 cancelled, for understandable global circumstances. They've been totally up-front about the possible risks to the trip going ahead all throughout the last 6 or so months since March, and I have no criticism about how BO2 have conducted themselves. As their trips are atol protected, I've never had reason to gripe over any of the holidays I've been on with them before (although last year's jaunt was a little concerning with Thomas Cook going bust the day we left for Hurghada). That debacle was handled brilliantly, and I barely noticed problem on the return flight. Anyway, with this (proper) cancellation, I was offered a credit note, with a view to using that to find a rescheduled trip, going next September. Which is exactly what I've done. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by BenL; 22-09-2020 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Grammar
    I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I had a trip to Normandy booked for D-Day anniversary. Got cancelled and offered 50% refund for ferry or full value credit note. Accom was Air BnB so got that back too
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    I had a trip to Normandy booked for D-Day anniversary. Got cancelled and offered 50% refund for ferry or full value credit note. Accom was Air BnB so got that back too
    So did you take the credit note?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    So did you take the credit note?
    Yes. To be used before 31 Dec 2021. Best of a bad lot at the moment. No point in everyone looking for a refund and all in the travel industry going bust
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    My thoughts exactly. Some others in the group have demanded refunds (which they're entitled to do). Then balked at how long they might have to wait for it. My view is that if everyone tried that, then they might be waiting a whole lot longer if the company couldn't pay the few employees left and went to the wall. In my head the cash is already spent...
    Last edited by BenL; 22-09-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have done a combination of things. My Komodo trip scheduled for May 2020 was rescheduled for July and then rescheduled again to May 2021. This is booked with Dive Worldwide as a package and so they are sorting it all at no extra cost, I would rather postpone that one than ask for a refund.

I booked a non-diving flight to Croatia for May, which we transferred to a flight to Finland which I have now transferred into a flight to Sharm. Easyjet will basically let you change your flight to whatever you want and just pay the difference if the flight costs more. This seems like a good plan for me as I will fly somewhere with them eventually!

I booked a package holiday to Portugal with TUI and when Portugal didn't make the exemption list I transferred that holiday for free to a Gran Canaria holiday (this was prior to the Canaries being taken off the exemption list).

I had flights booked and a deposit with a dive resort in the Philippines in November. I have asked for a refund for the flight (Cathay Pacific were actually very good about this) and asked the dive resort to hang on to my deposit and hopefully I will be able to go out there next year.

It's been an interesting year but I am doing what I can to support the travel industry and also keep myself safe!!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    My 20 yr old grandson and I had our Sharm holiday cancelled two days before departure last march to do his PADI referral FOR OPEN Water diver. PADI may be extending the year limit (hopefully). We have a credit note with Oonasdivers which currently runs out end March 21.

I am currently in Trapani Sicily . Flying back with EasyJet tomorrow after 8 dives around the island of Favignana. One of which was to dive the 2000+ year old Roman wreck off Levanzo island. A very memorable dive for me. :-)

More of it all later.
    Last edited by Eddie Clamp; 23-09-2020 at 08:46 AM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think the main thing regarding voucher/credit note vs refund is weighing up how viable you think the business you are dealing with is long term.

There would be no point in taking a voucher from a business if you think that the business will be so badly affected by the current issues that you feel it might not exist in a few months.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    I think the main thing regarding voucher/credit note vs refund is weighing up how viable you think the business you are dealing with is long term.

There would be no point in taking a voucher from a business if you think that the business will be so badly affected by the current issues that you feel it might not exist in a few months.
    I think some people are hoping that, by taking a credit note, it will help the company stay in business. A difficult decision for all.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Been forced into delaying trip to Aruba...

Hopefully Covid will be under control by the time we must go or loose the money - 12 months time ???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast