X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eru69er
    New TDF Member
    • Jun 2019

Leaking mask/s

I seem to spend a lot of my dives with masks that leak... I have 'three' on the go at the moment and, whilst they fitted well a few months ago, they seem to leak to some degree. (One, an Aqualung Reveal x1, had the nose piece blow apart, mid dive, via the silicone seam.)

Today I spent a bit of pool time playing about to problem solve this. I even videoed my mask to determine what's going on...
    So far I've noticed:
    - a constant stream of bubbles is always coming from my mask. I think this may be me, subconsciously, blowing out from my nose at times.
    - my mouthpiece zip tie was pushing my upper lip up and possibly breaking the nose seal a bit.
    - I am pretty careful how I look after my masks: air drying and always using a hard case.

What can / do people do to help?
    1. get a better fitting mask
    2. shave before the dive
    3. use vaseline around nose

Thanks
  • Vanny
    Gone diving back later
    • Jan 2013

Zip tie ? Should be positioned to the side , is yours facing up ? Might not be helping. I need to shave daily for Diving.

Comment

• Chrisch
      Tofu eating wokerato
      • Jan 2013

I treat my masks badly and buy cheap ones. I am lazy with shaving and hairy even after a shave. From time to time you just need to clear your mask. Just something you get used to. Sounds like you have put a lot of effort in already and will, I think, have a lot more to do. Possibly re-evaluate the need to do so?
      There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
      With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• Divemouse
        Pedantic Pig
        • Dec 2012

Is your mask strap too tight? That can deform the seal around your face. You should be able to keep the mask on your face without a strap by causing a gentle vacuum. If you can't, you maybe need to find one more suited to your face shape.
        Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Comment

• Wibs
          Established TDF Member
          • Aug 2015

My masks (one I wear and backup mask) are shoved into my fin pockets after a dive and stay there until they're taken out on the next dive, spat in, and put on my face/in my pocket. They definitely don't get special treatment nor rinsing between dives.

The primary feature for a mask is that it must fit. The strap should hold it on your face and definitely not be tight. The edges need to be tucked under your hood.

Question: how are you breathing from a regulator/snorkel under water with NO mask on? Do you leak air out of your nose? There was a recent thread here discussing this challenge.

Comment

• N Bailey
            TDF Member
            • Jan 2013

To add to your test try putting the mask on in the pool without the strap in place. The water pressure should keep it there, if you are breathing out of your nose the mask will lift away from your face.

Comment

• Neilwood
              Established TDF Member
              • Oct 2015

As Divemouse and N Bailey say, the mask shoiuld prety much stay where it is on its own underwater with minimal tension in the strap (it should really be there more to prevent the mask slipping). It is entirely possible that your face has changed shape slightly (with covid weight changes)

Personally I don't worry about a small amount of water in my mask (it actively helps with fogging as I can swill it about in the mask) but I am comfortable doing mask clears.

If you are getting a continual leak however and the mask is intact and a reasonable fit then it is likely that, as you say, you are breathing out slightly through your nose and a new mask will not help solve the issue. That is something that really could do with getting worked on.

Comment

• Allan Carr
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

Make sure that the skirt of the mask is really clean. It can get a bit sticky in use and slight movements of the facial muscles can causer it to leak. You can get it really clean by putting it in the dihwasher but make sur that you use a glass-safe detergent.

Comment

• purple vonny
                  Like a real diver but smaller apparently
                  • Dec 2012

Having recently had 2 leaky, steamy masks after 8 - 9 years of constant use, I chucked the leaky /steamy masks in the bin and bought 2 new ones. They don't leak or steam up at all. The old ones were simply past their best and they ruined a few dives for me.
                  I've been using Oceanic Mini Shadow masks for 15 years. I have two old ones that now leak and fog. I've got a small craggy face. On a holiday to the Red Sea, on a liveaboard last year, I was miserable on one dive because my mask kept fogging up and leaking. I wash my face, don't wear sun screen prior to diving so that's not

I had to take a punt on low volume masks for small faces as I can't try any on at the moment. Tusa gets a massive thumbs up.
                  I've used Oceanic mini shadows for years but tried something different.

The common problems causing mask leaking generally for me are:
                  Using sun cream on my face
                  laughing underwater
                  taking my reg out and putting it back in

When they steam up or leak for no good reason after years of being ok - It's fine to chuck them out and get a new one.

Comment

• eru69er
                    New TDF Member
                    • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Vanny
                    Zip tie ? Should be positioned to the side , is yours facing up ? Might not be helping. I need to shave daily for Diving.
                    It was up and catching my lip - changed now. (Schoolboy error after I installed a necklace it seems.)

Comment

• eru69er
                      New TDF Member
                      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Divemouse
                      Is your mask strap too tight?
                      It was really loose on the last (night) dive and seemed to leak more!

Comment

• eru69er
                        New TDF Member
                        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Neilwood
                        ... as you say, you are breathing out slightly through your nose and a new mask will not help solve the issue. That is something that really could do with getting worked on.
                        I'm wondering if this is my main problem.

I might, however, look at different mask next time I'm at Stoney's shop. If they allow you to try them on.
                        Last edited by eru69er; 19-09-2020, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• MW1963
                          M.D., Beaver Sports (Yorks) Ltd
                          • Jan 2016

Either trim your tasche or get yourself a Beaver Atomic, that seems to fit everyone, probably Britain's best selling mask for many years as Carlsberg say, but similar to a lot of stuff we do, all carried on nice and quietly:<)

Comment

• dwhitlow
                            Coastal Member
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by MW1963
                            Either trim your tasche or get yourself a Beaver Atomic, that seems to fit everyone, probably Britain's best selling mask for many years as Carlsberg say, but similar to a lot of stuff we do, all carried on nice and quietly:<)
                            Beaver atomic was the first dive mask I ever bought and remains my mask of choice. The 'experimental' +2 Hydrotac (not Beaver) insert I added to the right side a few years ago stubbornly remains in place.

Comment

• Vanny
                              Gone diving back later
                              • Jan 2013

Hydrotac must look them up , work ok ? - vision I mean. Like my beaver mask but can’t use it due to reading vision needing correction.

Comment

Working...