Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    With all the attention on students, how many died of alcohol poisoning during the same period?

Very few. Despite your attempt to obfuscate and pretend something or another, I don't quite know what, the stats are actually quite clear that the majority of people that die from alcohol poisoning are middle aged or older people.

UK annual average is about 5-600 per year. So about 10 a week total (all ages)

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...alcauseofdeath

If you want the figures. But I guess you don't really.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Had a look at the NHS statistics for covid (https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistic...-daily-deaths/)

Pulled down the WEEKLY file for 24th September (N.B. this is for England only)

Clicked on Tab3 - Deaths by condition

Of the nearly 30,000 people who've died with Covid since February:
    • 4 people under 20 have died with no pre-existing conditions
    • 35 people under 40 have died with no pre-existing conditions
    • 270 people under 60 have died with no pre-existing conditions

With all the attention on students, how many died of alcohol poisoning during the same period?
    There are a couple of interesting questions I think about but I guess will never get an accurate answer:
    1) Although 20-60 year olds appear to die less than older, how many of the 70+ age range deaths are directly attributable to transmission from the younger age range?
    2) How many of the 20-60 year olds will develop what is becoming known as "long covid" with medical issues for a long time after diagnosis and how much strain will that put on the NHS in the months and years to come?
    3) How many of the affected people truly didn't follow 100% of guidance and stuck to proper distancing, mask wearing, hand washing etc?

I suspect the answers to all three are going to be pretty high.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    There are a couple of interesting questions I think about but I guess will never get an accurate answer:...
    The problem with the current issue is that we are in the midst of it and politics and lies are rife. Good comparative data is hard enough to come by for events that have finished and were uncontroversial. IIRC there is still argument as to exactly where the Battle of Hastings took place?

With this event and it's international and partisan nature there is little real chance of getting good solid data from which to draw useful conclusions. The UK death rate, as best I understand it, is anyone tested positive that dies within 28 days. So if you test positive then get run over you died from it. Likewise if you genuinely die from it 29 days after the test you didn't die from it. In all fairness the medical profession have better things to do right now than sharpen up the stats.

So the battle of made up data and subjective viewpoints is underway. If you are of the "its all bollocks" persuasion there is much to prove you right. Equally if you are of the "OMG its terrible" persuasion there is much to prove you right. If you think it is important to get kids to school to educate them you are correct, who can argue? If you think sending the kids back to school will set the dispersement back off again you are right, who can argue with that fact? if you think wearing a mask is communist, or against your rights, or too much of an imposition, then you are probably a halfwit and no amount of data is going to make you clever. Mr Swyre included.

Under such a problematic scenario it is best that you have a source of data that you at least trust the intentions of even if you accept the practicalities make the actual data quite difficult to validate. The worst case scenario is if you are governed by a pathological liar with no regard for human life. This is the case in the UK, the USA, Brazil, Australia, India, Russia, Hungary and China to name just a few. That's what nearly half the planet I think? Must be close?

At least there is the prospect of a vaccine in due course. Then all we have to worry about is the wack jobs that will not be vaccinated. I look forward to that spectacle

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Am only commenting on the ratios of people who've died with Covid in England between Feb and Sept 2020 (30,000), to the number of people who've died with Covid and no other conditions (1,400) of which 309 people were aged under 60.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What a cheerful thread............
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    What a cheerful thread............
    Damn those Corvids!
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Am only commenting on the ratios of people who've died with Covid in England between Feb and Sept 2020 (30,000), to the number of people who've died with Covid and no other conditions (1,400) of which 309 people were aged under 60.
    To what end? What is the point of your comment? How many of those who died with underlying conditions were not aware they had underlying conditions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
    To what end? What is the point of your comment? How many of those who died with underlying conditions were not aware they had underlying conditions?
    Or had underlying conditions but were able to manage them and carry on with an acceptable life until COVID came along - itís sometimes feels as if some people thing people with underlying conditions deserve to die early.

Letís see if what they say about what could happen if you get COVID and the Flu together comes true - will those people deserve to die?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910