Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    "To hack it" ! I think you mean, to cleverly engineer an elegant, innovative yet simple solution Wibs.

Despite myself sidemounting for long swims in OHE has been worth it too avoid the pendulum metronome of standard stages, and the reduction in chest clutter, reclaiming of the chest ds and extra dexterity has been a revelation.

Royal PITA tho and doubt I'd bother off a boat/on a wreck, too much mither for not enough gain.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It’s possible to use a top clip on a sidemount tin so it dangles just like a traditional stage, then sidemount it when in the water. This gives the benefits of a stage (easy to walk around with it clipped on) and the benefits of sidemounting when it’s bungeed in place.

I used to do that with my sidemount 12s. Meant I could bend forwards and clip the nose clip on then stand up.

I’m already fed up with the stage catching on the wreck when squeezing through a hole. This could be quite a trap when the bottom of the cylinder catches when reversing out.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Anyway, does anybody have any modular valves or a (modern**) twinset manifold valve set they would like to dispose of?

Or even an out-of-test cylinder with a modular valve?

Or, perish the thought, a nice 232 bar 7 litre stage in good condition, in test, with a modular valve?

Or... know somewhere where I could buy modular valves without paying a fortune?

** I need to be able to buy the blanking plugs

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    It’s possible to use a top clip on a sidemount tin so it dangles just like a traditional stage, then sidemount it when in the water. This gives the benefits of a stage (easy to walk around with it clipped on) and the benefits of sidemounting when it’s bungeed in place.

I used to do that with my sidemount 12s. Meant I could bend forwards and clip the nose clip on then stand up.

I’m already fed up with the stage catching on the wreck when squeezing through a hole. This could be quite a trap when the bottom of the cylinder catches when reversing out.
    there are many ways of attaching cylinders so they 'side mount' and lie along the line of your body rather than dangle. A fairly standard arrangement being to attach the stage cylinder nose clip (tied off tight to the cylinder valve) to a ring that is bungeed to the back plate and clipped to a chest D ring. The stage hangs on the ring which hangs on the clip on the boat and is then pulled up and out of the way by the bungee in the water.

That way you don't need to sidemount it after you get in the water as it's already there.

M.D., Beaver Sports (Yorks) Ltd
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Beaver have 7 Litre Allys dated 05/20 available ex- stock and also Left and Right Hand 'Manifold' Valves with the relevant Blanking Plugs, or maybe consider 'Top Handled Valves' Beaver's code CT TV for sidemount use, which were considered as normal. Please ask at any Beaver retailer and they should be able to quickly assist......

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Have ordered three Apeks modular valves, two "LH", one "RH". GoDive doing a special.

Will keep the stages with the standard stage clips, so no change on the boat. In the water I can then disconnect the nose clip, reach around for the bungee loop and hook it on the stage. This will rotate the stage rolling it sideways beside me and away from my front. Need to do the regular bailout checks with the stage in the sidemount position to develop the muscle memory. Will do the same for the deco bailout stage on the RHS when ready.

Can then disconnect the bungee and reconnect the nose clip when at deco for ease of dekitting on the boat.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Cool Wibs, the cylinders are ours and should prove great for you, from the couple of thousand Turkish made cylinders sold over the last 10 years or so, we have had problems with just 2, which were damaged in transit and battered around the valve area, since then we pay even more attention to ensuring they are packaged in the best possible way to avoid any transit damage, which is a big task alone, but why they don't use our valves which are probably the best, I really don't know??? I can say hand on my heart that excepting people bending manifolds by penny pinching and trying to save a few quid on a twin boot for steel twin sets and trying to look cool, we have not had a single issue with in excess of 50,000 cylinder vales supplied over the last 25 years.......I really must enquire about getting a standard cylinder valve produced for what we call 'Right Hand' without the need for Blanking Plugs. Our ethos has always been that Left and Right so called 'Modular Valves' could easily then be converted for twin set use, clearly this would not be the case for Allys used for Sidemount diving, watch this space as they say!! Personally there was nought wrong with a 15 and 3 Litre Pony, or Twin 10 300 Bar steels without a weight belt back in the day:<)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1963 View Post
    Cool Wibs, the cylinders are ours and should prove great for you, from the couple of thousand Turkish made cylinders sold over the last 10 years or so, we have had problems with just 2, which were damaged in transit and battered around the valve area, since then we pay even more attention to ensuring they are packaged in the best possible way to avoid any transit damage, which is a big task alone, but why they don't use our valves which are probably the best, I really don't know??? I can say hand on my heart that excepting people bending manifolds by penny pinching and trying to save a few quid on a twin boot for steel twin sets and trying to look cool, we have not had a single issue with in excess of 50,000 cylinder vales supplied over the last 25 years.......I really must enquire about getting a standard cylinder valve produced for what we call 'Right Hand' without the need for Blanking Plugs. Our ethos has always been that Left and Right so called 'Modular Valves' could easily then be converted for twin set use, clearly this would not be the case for Allys used for Sidemount diving, watch this space as they say!! Personally there was nought wrong with a 15 and 3 Litre Pony, or Twin 10 300 Bar steels without a weight belt back in the day:<)
    How much are your valves and plugs?

(ones that come in handy for me are the ones that would be on the left hand post of a twinset which I think you might be calling right hand?)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    How much are your valves and plugs?

(ones that come in handy for me are the ones that would be on the left hand post of a twinset which I think you might be calling right hand?)
    Honest answer to that question, is whatever one of our band of retailers is prepared to offer, 'RRP' is around £74.00 per side for 'Modular Valve' with Blanking Plugs, but I'm sure if you talk to them nicely some may be happy to give you a good deal if you smile sweetly and say the right things;<)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12