Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An Interesting Morning

Up early today, a 57m wreck was on offer but I declined in order to do a scallop dive on the way back and to test out a friends kit that had just been serviced.

The kit consists of T8.5s, 6mm backplate and wing, plus regulators.

I went in and found that I was slightly overweighted, maybe by a couple of kg so was able to comfortably use my drysuit only for buoyancy. I settled down nicely on a 2knt drift with at best 2m of visibility at a depth of between 14 and 17 metres. Managed to bag a couple of dozen scallops and a crab, but after 30 minutes I had had enough so started to ascend, dumping from the suit on the way up. At 8m I was still ascending slowly yet my suit was empty and I then stated to accelerate, hitting the surface a few seconds later and could hear the wing dump operating.

Got onto the boat and dekitted, including deflating the wing. 10 minutes later it was full again, the wing inflate was slowly letting by. Glad that I decided not to do the 57m wreck.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine French critic and historian (1828-93)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have always recommended that after gear service or a new piece of kit to always check it out on a shallow dive. You obviously did the correct thing.
    An independent diver

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bletso View Post
    I have always recommended that after gear service or a new piece of kit to always check it out on a shallow dive. You obviously did the correct thing.
    That was the idea, I have now found out that the cylinders were tested and O2 cleaned and the regs were serviced, the wing wasn't. (How many get a wing/BCD serviced?)
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Glad you are okay.

Could be just the schrader valve being loose but more than likely crap built up in the inflator.

Might be just as handy to bin the inflator and fit a good but cheap one. The Beaver ones are like 25 and are good
    Last edited by Paulo; 03-08-2020 at 09:22 AM.
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Same as Paulo, happened on 1st day of my Mine/Cave course, kept drifting onto the ceiling, it was just the schraeder that needed tightening in the wing inflator.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Glad you are okay.

Could be just the schrader valve being loosd but more than likely crap built up in the inflator.

Might be just as handy to bin the inflator and fit a good but cheap one. The Beaver ones are like 25 and are good
    Returned to the owner, he is going to replace the inflator, not worth messing around with.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes Andy, you do that!
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    Yes Andy, you do that!

A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

M.D., Beaver Sports (Yorks) Ltd
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Glad you are okay.

Could be just the schrader valve being loose but more than likely crap built up in the inflator.

Ha Ha Paulo, everytime I read these comments, I think that we should increase the price!! A few years ago, we introduced service kits for our Inflators, which was probably a silly mistake:<( We still sell thousands of BCD Inflators per year, which really makes me wonder how many so called 'leading brands' must be fitting absolute crap to save a few quid on new Jackets which soon give up the ghost and they offer little in the way of back up service, god bless em, I got to pay for my Beer one way or another:<)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Glad you are okay.

Fcuking hell. How much do you normally spend on inflators if 25 quid is "cheap"?

Quote Originally Posted by MW1963 View Post
    Ha Ha Paulo, everytime I read these comments, I think that we should increase the price!! A few years ago, we introduced service kits for our Inflators, which was probably a silly mistake:<( We still sell thousands of BCD Inflators per year, which really makes me wonder how many so called 'leading brands' must be fitting absolute crap to save a few quid on new Jackets which soon give up the ghost and they offer little in the way of back up service, god bless em, I got to pay for my Beer one way or another:<)
    Martin: if Paulo's buying at 25, that's at least 3 drinks per sale ;D
    I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast