X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Allan Carr
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

BSAC Instructor update

I received the update information for instructors from BSAC yesterday and they have updated the Sports Diver syllabus in make AED training mandatory. This means that all clubs teaching SD will need to have an AED training device available. I've just checked on th price of these and they are £400+ each. Are BSAC trying to stop small clubs from doing training?

I see they have also moved to on-line training for Ocean Diver and a new Discovery Diver grade. Not before time but again costs for the material have gone up from the current £40 to £59 for on-line only or £69 if the student wants paper backup. Sounds a nice little earner for HQ.
  • Edward3c
    Established TDF Member
    • Feb 2013

We are only a small club (Fyne-divers), but have an AED training unit bought in 2012 when we got the AED unit

Comment

• Spindrift
      TDF Member
      • Feb 2016

all clubs teaching SD will need to have an AED training device available. I've just checked on th price of these and they are £400+ each.

£336 including VAT.

Possibly one where BSAC should consider issuing one to each region to be shared amongst clubs which do not have access to one...?

Comment

• Vanny
        Gone diving back later
        • Jan 2013

Is it full on AED training or an awareness Of ?

Comment

• Nickpicks
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

I also received that. it says "The use of an automated external defibrillator (AED) in the priority of rescue sequence has been incorporated into Sports Diver training (in terms of awareness of its use)."

Which I took to mean that students should be made aware of the importance of getting a defibrilator as early as possible in the rescue scenario.
          I didn't think that meant we all needed to go and buy one for training.
          Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Comment

• Vanny
            Gone diving back later
            • Jan 2013

Just read the mail and agree , an awareness of , not teach how to use one.

Comment

• Allan Carr
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

Extract from the new SP1 lesson

Equipment needed
              For this module the instructor and each student will need:
              • Resuscitation manikin for BLS practice (1 between each pair of students) -
              manikins should be checked for working order and clean before the start of the
              session and thoroughly cleaned after use. Manikin lungs must be changed on
              a regular basis. A recommendation would be at least once after group usage
              although manufactures may have different instruction. Soiled lungs should be
              disposed of carefully. (Follow manufacturers guidlines for cleaning).
              • Training AED.
              • Manikin wipes.
              • Manikin face shields (optional).
              • Manikin disinfectant (Virkon).
              • Students or a volunteer will be necessary for recovery position practice -
              suitable casual clothing should be worn.

Extract from SO1 Open Water Rescue Skills

Equipment needed
              For this module the instructor and each student will need:
              • Basic equipment (mask, fins and snorkel)
              • A scuba set comprising a single cylinder containing air or nitrox up to 36%,
              buoyancy compensator (BC) (ensure that a student’s BC is a good fit) and
              regulator fitted with an alternative supply (AS) configured to comfortably provide
              an effective gas supply to an out-of-gas recipient
              • Weight belt, weight harness or BC integrated-weight system and weights
              • Appropriate protective clothing, such as a drysuit complete with boots, hood and
              gloves
              • Ancillary equipment including a knife or net cutter, and a dive computer or watch
              and depth gauge
              Access to a resuscitation manikin and an AED onshore for BLS practice will be
              required

• Instructor will require a datum

Both look like access to a training AED is mandatory

Comment

• Edward3c
                Established TDF Member
                • Feb 2013

A training unit is available from the BSAC Shop at £35.

Comment

• Allan Carr
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Edward3c
                  A training unit is available from the BSAC Shop at £35.

https://shop.bsac.com/p/687/mini-aed-trainer
                  Looks like that has just appeared. It doesn't seem to have the features that standard training AED's do which simulate actual scenarios which is why they are far more expensive.

When BSAC sent out the updates to the Syllabus, why didn't they mention that a training AED was available from the BSAC shop?

Comment

• Edward3c
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Allan Carr
                    Looks like that has just appeared. It doesn't seem to have the features that standard training AED's do which simulate actual scenarios which is why they are far more expensive.

When BSAC sent out the updates to the Syllabus, why didn't they mention that a training AED was available from the BSAC shop?
                    I found it when reading the resuscitation updates page.

Comment

• Allan Carr
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Edward3c
                      I found it when reading the resuscitation updates page.
                      I hadn't read that bit - I went through the information on Sports Diver update because I'm in the middle of teaching an SD course at the moment and it isn't mentioned in a summary of the updates.

Comment

• Edward3c
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Feb 2013

I hadn't read that bit - I went through the information on Sports Diver update because I'm in the middle of teaching an SD course at the moment and it isn't mentioned in a summary of the updates.
                        Most lessons involving rescue training are affected:
                        Originally posted by Amendments to rescue procedures – Summer 2020 update
                        The instructor resources (Visual Aids and the manual) have been amended to reflect this change. Lessons ST2, SP1, DT2, DO5, DO7, AT4, AO2 are all affected by this change, as is the Skill Development Course (SDC) O2 Admin. PRM, Lifesaver and Advanced Lifesaver and Snorkeller training may also be affected in their delivery, dependent on what scenarios instructors choose to use. Instructors should access the updated resources from the BSAC website and deliver all future training utilising the current information.

Comment

• Ron MacRae
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Dec 2012

Is the assumption here that most clubs will have an AED?
                          My club doesn't and has no plans to buy one.
                          Makes buying a dummy AED fairly pointless?

Comment

• Allan Carr
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Dec 2012

My son did a Regional PRM last year and the students were told that all branches should have an AED. At £1000+ that's quite an investment for something which hopefully will never be used.

Comment

• Nickpicks
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Dec 2012

My son did a Regional PRM last year and the students were told that all branches should have an AED. At £1000+ that's quite an investment for something which hopefully will never be used.
                              Who told them that? Sound like another case of someone's opinion being told as policy.
                              Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Comment

Working...