X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickpicks
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by bottle maker
    My club looked at getting an AED. I spoke to retailers First responders and hard boat skippers they all said don't try using one on a small wet boat.

Graham.
    I think the modern ones can be used on wet surfaces (such as swimming pool surrounds, boat decks) without risk of electrocuting the operator.
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Comment

• gobfish1
      Last of the Mohicans
      • Jan 2013

My club looked at getting an AED. I spoke to retailers First responders and hard boat skippers they all said don't try using one on a small wet boat.

Graham.
      Hence my stoney cove comment above.
      None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• gobfish1
        Last of the Mohicans
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Nickpicks
        I think the modern ones can be used on wet surfaces (such as swimming pool surrounds, boat decks) without risk of electrocuting the operator.
        No electrocuting just a mild tingle so iv been told .
        No idea what mild is like tho. Other that it won't stop your ticker.
        None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• bottle maker
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Nickpicks
          The risk is not to the operator but the boats electronics apparently you can kill things like radios and I suspect modern engine ecus. The other problem was even in a waterproof box moisture is likely to get in and bugger the AED up.

Graham

Comment

• Dave1w
            Established TDF Member
            • Jan 2013

The risk is not to the operator but the boats electronics apparently you can kill things like radios and I suspect modern engine ecus. The other problem was even in a waterproof box moisture is likely to get in and bugger the AED up.

Graham
            I thought you were instructed to turn off radios when using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Ron MacRae
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Ron MacRae
              Depends on the meaning of "should".
              Is that "should" as in it would be nice or "should" as in you need to get one.

We've had this before where "should" implies guidance, which might be used to beat you up in the event of an incident.

I'll ask BSAC.
              Got a response from BSAC HQ.

They think many clubs have one.
              They realise they are expensive for small clubs.
              They think the Training AED is cost effective for most clubs.

I guess if you don't have a real AED then the training does no harm and might be useful in other situations.

Comment

• Neilwood
                Established TDF Member
                • Oct 2015

Not a BSAC member (so take my contribution with a pinch of salt if you wish).

To my mind (as a former first aid trainer), AED training and operation is now so easy it makes sense to train as many people as possible. Irrespective of whether the branch has an actual Defib unit, training on them so people are not scared sh**less the first time they see one in real life is worthwhile. The downsides are minimal but the positives are huge. Shouldn't take long and use of a defib is shown to have a hugely positive effect on outcomes.

WRT an unresponsive diver after 5 mins - there are a number of cases where resuscitation (even delayed) can be fully successful. This is especially the case where cold is involved.

Comment

• Allan Carr
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

I've no objection at all to the AED training, I think is a good idea. My only concern was the cost when I looked at the price of training AED's but the ones that came up when I googled were all the sophisticated ones at £400+. The BSAC one at £35 is OK and we'll be getting one.

Comment

• Alex Denny
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Mar 2016

Yeah. My club has done the same. We actually have access to a fancy-pants talking one at a local school that we use for training; but we can’t take it off site so we’ve never been able to combine all the skills on a practical rescue course, for example. The £35 one is small and cheap enough that we’ll happily take it ‘on location’. It’s also a lot less likely to be accidentally mistaken for a real one.

Comment

• JasminNeedsGills
                      TDF Member
                      • Feb 2019

-del-
                      BSAC South-West Divers

Comment

Working...