Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 177

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    TDF Member Alex Denny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Tonbridge
    Posts
    416
    Likes (Given)
    62
    Likes (Received)
    118

    CCR choose / buy / train or a different sequence

    Hi all.

    The most basic of basic questions. I'm finally thinking of making the change to CCR. There are obviously lots of different types (too many to realistically try dive then all) and different divers evangelise about different units.

    Whatever unit I eventually settle on, is it sensible to do the training to make sure I get on okay with it, on a hired unit from an instructor, or should I buy one and set it up throughout the training? As training is unit specific, is it the case that you're pretty much committed to the type of unit you train on (for a few years at least) from day 1?

    Cheers

  2. #2
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    100
    Likes (Given)
    65
    Likes (Received)
    47
    I'm looking at the going the same route in the near future as well; I've done try dives on AP Inspo and RedBare, but think what will send me down the road of one particular unit will be the cost of the unit, cost of training and the instructor taking it. Friend of mine saw a cheap Poseidon, and bought it, so is going down that training route. Another did the same with a cheap AP, and each time it was the price of the unit that made them take a bargain and chose what to get. I don't believe there are cross-over courses as such between units, so you are committed to a unit once you start training. I'll be interested to hear what other people's decision making process was!

  3. #3
    Coastal Member dwhitlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Isle of Portland
    Posts
    6,281
    Likes (Given)
    2345
    Likes (Received)
    2909
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Denny View Post
    The most basic of basic questions. I'm finally thinking of making the change to CCR. There are obviously lots of different types (too many to realistically try dive then all) and different divers evangelise about different units.

    Whatever unit I eventually settle on, is it sensible to do the training to make sure I get on okay with it, on a hired unit from an instructor, or should I buy one and set it up throughout the training? As training is unit specific, is it the case that you're pretty much committed to the type of unit you train on (for a few years at least) from day 1?
    Do the course and then decide. They all do pretty much the same thing and there aren't really wrong choices, just different choices. If you opt for something different a 'crossover' course is required by some manufacturers (if you want to buy spares).

    Factors to consider in choice are spares, mentoring, and servicing. When I took the plunge the CCR divers I knew had Inspos, so I went that way. It is the the most common unit in the UK, the most available second hand, and the factory is in Cornwall. RedBare is built in Vobster and Narked@90 service the JJ. Not sure about servicing for others but that is worth factoring in your choice.

    When I switched I booked my course and, rather than paying for the hire, at the end of the course I bought the unit from my instructor. I also added 2 days to the course and ended up with the recreational trimix cert (48m with limited deco).

    Maybe have that conversation with an instructor, such as Dave Gration, who offers a range of units.
    Last edited by dwhitlow; 10-07-2020 at 10:14 AM.

  4. #4
    Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Evesham
    Posts
    3,804
    Likes (Given)
    1234
    Likes (Received)
    2335
    I bought my Inspo Classic on eBay while sat in an Amsterdam “coffee shop” while drunk. It was a cheeky low bid that I didn’t think would win, but it did...

    Price was the sole driving factor at that point. I wanted, but couldn’t afford, a JJ so the Classic was my way in. In retrospect it was the right choice for me; it allowed me to try CCR diving at a very low cost and I think I actually came out of it a few quid up when I decided that I couldn’t afford to keep diving at the level I was enjoying so knocked it on the head for a bit.

    I keep toying with the idea of having another go and I’d probably get another Inspo if I did for the reasons Dave mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

  5. #5
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NW UK
    Posts
    1,784
    Likes (Given)
    555
    Likes (Received)
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Denny View Post
    Hi all.

    The most basic of basic questions. I'm finally thinking of making the change to CCR. There are obviously lots of different types (too many to realistically try dive then all) and different divers evangelise about different units.

    Whatever unit I eventually settle on, is it sensible to do the training to make sure I get on okay with it, on a hired unit from an instructor, or should I buy one and set it up throughout the training? As training is unit specific, is it the case that you're pretty much committed to the type of unit you train on (for a few years at least) from day 1?

    Cheers
    If it was me I'd buy a cheap as possible inspo, do a bsac (or teach myself the) course on that and dive it for a year without fkkking with it... then later decide if you want something else. The unit will resell for the same price.

    OTOH if you are in BSAC they have got a hire unit for courses and their mod1 is same as anyone elses.

    Any of the rest of the decisions are a bit wasted, like trying to decide the finer points of a lamborghini versus a ferrari before you can even drive a micra.


    Remember there is no diving police and so long as you have an above room temperature IQ and are literate, there's nowt to stop you buying a unit and teaching yourself how to use it and see if you feel the need for a course later.

  6. #6
    Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Penwortham
    Posts
    1,954
    Likes (Given)
    1785
    Likes (Received)
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    If it was me I'd buy a cheap as possible inspo, do a bsac (or teach myself the) course on that and dive it for a year without fkkking with it... then later decide if you want something else. The unit will resell for the same price.

    OTOH if you are in BSAC they have got a hire unit for courses and their mod1 is same as anyone elses.

    Any of the rest of the decisions are a bit wasted, like trying to decide the finer points of a lamborghini versus a ferrari before you can even drive a micra.


    Remember there is no diving police and so long as you have an above room temperature IQ and are literate, there's nowt to stop you buying a unit and teaching yourself how to use it and see if you feel the need for a course later.
    Yeah, I wouldn't teach myself.
    It's not a difficult thing to learn but the reason that the manufacturers are so keen for teaching to be done properly is because so many self taught people end up dead.

  7. #7
    Established TDF Member jamesp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wrexham
    Posts
    5,338
    Likes (Given)
    2755
    Likes (Received)
    2007
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't teach myself.
    It's not a difficult thing to learn but the reason that the manufacturers are so keen for teaching to be done properly is because so many self taught people end up dead.
    I had been diving a classic for over a year before I did the MOD1, entertaining moment was declaring my dil as "air ish" on one dive (it was 10/50).

    I have outlived the instructor and the dive marshal from those days.

    Luck or judgement , who knows.

  8. #8
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NW UK
    Posts
    1,784
    Likes (Given)
    555
    Likes (Received)
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't teach myself.
    It's not a difficult thing to learn but the reason that the manufacturers are so keen for teaching to be done properly is because so many self taught people end up dead.



    Yeah nah.

    Come on lets drop the liability insurance driven manufacturer hand wringing here and not try make claims you can't back up.

    Dig up that ginger ambulance chasing cnuts list and cross reference how many held a mod whatever ticket if you like, see if you can find me a statistically significant difference in crab-food rate versus trained or self taught or unofficially trained?

  9. #9
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    3,292
    Likes (Given)
    1093
    Likes (Received)
    1408
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Dig up that ginger ambulance chasing cnuts list and cross reference how many held a mod whatever ticket if you like, see if you can find me a statistically significant difference in crab-food rate versus trained or self taught or unofficially trained?
    I wouldn't suggest anyone tries to draw any kind of conclusion based on a list that's been shown to be full of assumptions, speculation and downright rubbish.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

  10. #10
    Last of the Mohicans gobfish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    the grassy knoll
    Posts
    4,009
    Likes (Given)
    4629
    Likes (Received)
    2557
    Op the only real difference
    I'd worry about is a celonoid or a trickle feed

    If you own a SW your probley have way there. . Know your po2. Twiddl your O2 and dill buttona bail out feeking repeat repeat repeat. And a bit of other info to stop your mind from going numb.
    Do it some place nice try enjoy the diving .
    Pick a unit and get on with it.
    Lots of units in the red sea to rent well used to be..
    I did Noddy 1 out of sharm two different units
    Free with the course. Spent first day shore dives then it was boat dives all the rest . Just like a week's holiday diving with a few drills each dive .
    Just had to play CCR diver for a few dives back home in my dry suit till I was happy with my lot. A bit of fafing but that,s CCR for you .

    Only extra cost was the kitty litter. gas unit and boat fees all included it the training cost.
    About £650 /£700 I think it's some time ago so can't remember for sure.
    Last edited by gobfish1; 13-07-2020 at 12:09 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.


 
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •