Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quick Disconnects for BOV use

Bailout mouthpieces (BOV) need to have very high flow rates for the case of a CO2 hit. This is said to be greater than a standard quick release nipple (a-la wing or suit inflate) can supply.

I've been told that you should finger-tighten a LP hose directly to the BOV from your bailout if you don't want to use the diluent "pony" (which would be utterly useless in the case of a CO2 hit). What recommendations would you make for some form of quick connect connector, such as a Swagelock QC6. Am not sure what kind of hoses you'd use for this.

Alternatives?

How do you solve this problem?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use a CEJN type wide bore (not a little hole like on a suit). I've done a test bailout at 45m on air and it breathes fine with enough gas to blow your wig off through an XStream.
    http://nautilusdiving.co.uk/index.ph...roller=product
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    The QC6 has the best reputation for this practice.

As you correctly identified, a DIL cylinder is insufficient for deep BO.

You need to ensure the QC6 is stainless. The Swagelock part numbers are SS-QC6-B-4PF Female Fitting and SS-QC6-D-4PF Male fitting

You will also need an adaptor for a QC6 connection to a hose (cannot remember which), I recommend a Miflex type hose. 1.2m from the BOV and 15cm from the 1st stage
    JJ wanker

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    The QC6 has the best reputation for this practice.

As you correctly identified, a DIL cylinder is insufficient for deep BO.

You need to ensure the QC6 is stainless. The Swagelock part numbers are SS-QC6-B-4PF Female Fitting and SS-QC6-D-4PF Male fitting

You will also need an adaptor for a QC6 connection to a hose (cannot remember which), I recommend a Miflex type hose. 1.2m from the BOV and 15cm from the 1st stage
    Thanks Paulo. That's really helpful.

I guess you route the 'long' hose around the back of your neck and plug it in under the breathing hose so it just about rests on your shoulder.

And just to confirm, both ends are 'waterproof' when disconnected underwater, e.g. if passing off your bailout.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    I use a CEJN type wide bore (not a little hole like on a suit). I've done a test bailout at 45m on air and it breathes fine with enough gas to blow your wig off through an XStream.
    http://nautilusdiving.co.uk/index.ph...roller=product
    Do they seal underwater?

Good site for adapters BTW.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I stand corrected in hose lengths. It was 90cm and 30cm. Parts & part numbers as ordered from Miflex

NP-UM-YM 1/4" NPT Male to 9/16" Male LP Adaptor

NP-UM-ZF - 1/4" NPT Male to 3/8" Female LP Adaptor

Regulator Hose - Blue 30 cm standard 3/8" UNF Connection

Regulator Hose - Blue 90 cm - standard 3/8" UNF Connection
    JJ wanker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    The QC6 defaults to shut. It needs to be connected to open.

The hoses usually are routed from the BOV, along the inhale of the loop, around the T-piece on your left shoulder and down to the BO cylinder.

At the end of the day you can route them what ever way you want though.

Have seen people run it through a manifold to have it as an offboard DIL and BOV plumbed straight to manifold but I think that is a disaster in waiting. Have seen it run back down the chest and connected across their front etc. No right or wrong way
    JJ wanker

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks Paulo.

Seems that for a BOV, why spoil it for a 'hapeth of tar. These connectors may be expensive, but they're the right tool for the job. Having a BOV makes switching a doddle, which is all you need when the bucket of crap strikes.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Thanks Paulo.

Seems that for a BOV, why spoil it for a 'hapeth of tar. These connectors may be expensive, but they're the right tool for the job. Having a BOV makes switching a doddle, which is all you need when the bucket of crap strikes.
    They are not a great breathing reg so the idea is that they give you something to breathe whilst getting a proper reg out / catch your breath.
    JJ wanker

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I know QC6 has become an industry go to but when I was sourcing the bits for mine, John at N90 was more in favour of Omni. Apparently similar to Fischer cables the QC6 was never designed for the uw realm.

He sells both so no axe to grind either way.

That said i have read criticism of the omni set up when used in less than optimal conditions, but that's diving gear generally I guess.

I always test my BOV initially on descent and at depth and it breathes fine using an Omni set up, but obviously not stressed at that point, I've also bailed live twice and stayed on it for the duration of the exit.

Mines a Golem Shrimp.
    Last edited by JonG; 10-08-2020 at 05:04 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast