Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CCR choose / buy / train or a different sequence

Hi all.

The most basic of basic questions. I'm finally thinking of making the change to CCR. There are obviously lots of different types (too many to realistically try dive then all) and different divers evangelise about different units.

Whatever unit I eventually settle on, is it sensible to do the training to make sure I get on okay with it, on a hired unit from an instructor, or should I buy one and set it up throughout the training? As training is unit specific, is it the case that you're pretty much committed to the type of unit you train on (for a few years at least) from day 1?

Cheers

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm looking at the going the same route in the near future as well; I've done try dives on AP Inspo and RedBare, but think what will send me down the road of one particular unit will be the cost of the unit, cost of training and the instructor taking it. Friend of mine saw a cheap Poseidon, and bought it, so is going down that training route. Another did the same with a cheap AP, and each time it was the price of the unit that made them take a bargain and chose what to get. I don't believe there are cross-over courses as such between units, so you are committed to a unit once you start training. I'll be interested to hear what other people's decision making process was!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Denny View Post
    The most basic of basic questions. I'm finally thinking of making the change to CCR. There are obviously lots of different types (too many to realistically try dive then all) and different divers evangelise about different units.

Whatever unit I eventually settle on, is it sensible to do the training to make sure I get on okay with it, on a hired unit from an instructor, or should I buy one and set it up throughout the training? As training is unit specific, is it the case that you're pretty much committed to the type of unit you train on (for a few years at least) from day 1?
    Do the course and then decide. They all do pretty much the same thing and there aren't really wrong choices, just different choices. If you opt for something different a 'crossover' course is required by some manufacturers (if you want to buy spares).

Factors to consider in choice are spares, mentoring, and servicing. When I took the plunge the CCR divers I knew had Inspos, so I went that way. It is the the most common unit in the UK, the most available second hand, and the factory is in Cornwall. RedBare is built in Vobster and Narked@90 service the JJ. Not sure about servicing for others but that is worth factoring in your choice.

When I switched I booked my course and, rather than paying for the hire, at the end of the course I bought the unit from my instructor. I also added 2 days to the course and ended up with the recreational trimix cert (48m with limited deco).

Maybe have that conversation with an instructor, such as Dave Gration, who offers a range of units.
    Last edited by dwhitlow; 10-07-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I bought my Inspo Classic on eBay while sat in an Amsterdam “coffee shop” while drunk. It was a cheeky low bid that I didn’t think would win, but it did...

Price was the sole driving factor at that point. I wanted, but couldn’t afford, a JJ so the Classic was my way in. In retrospect it was the right choice for me; it allowed me to try CCR diving at a very low cost and I think I actually came out of it a few quid up when I decided that I couldn’t afford to keep diving at the level I was enjoying so knocked it on the head for a bit.

I keep toying with the idea of having another go and I’d probably get another Inspo if I did for the reasons Dave mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi all.

Cheers
    If it was me I'd buy a cheap as possible inspo, do a bsac (or teach myself the) course on that and dive it for a year without fkkking with it... then later decide if you want something else. The unit will resell for the same price.

OTOH if you are in BSAC they have got a hire unit for courses and their mod1 is same as anyone elses.

Any of the rest of the decisions are a bit wasted, like trying to decide the finer points of a lamborghini versus a ferrari before you can even drive a micra.

Remember there is no diving police and so long as you have an above room temperature IQ and are literate, there's nowt to stop you buying a unit and teaching yourself how to use it and see if you feel the need for a course later.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What units do your mates dive? Buy one of them as when it inevitably breaks you will likely have spares.

As AP were the first out there, they are everywhere, the support is superb and there are loads of instructors, plus a very active second hand market. Did a 2 week remote exped and they boxed up a complete spare head for me to take just in case and all for free.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I always feel that a unit your potential buddy’s might use and is easily serviced / parts in your area or country are very good places to start. That said your mates gone Poseidon and I wouldn’t choose that , but that’s just me.

When I was in your place I decided I wanted ccr , looked at AP & JJ , JJ was much more expensive at that time , AP was easily available, plenty of instructors and divers so decided AP. Thought I was going with a classic but local dive shop did a cracking deal on a new unit and course so sold the motorbike and handed over the credit card.

6 years on with hindsight it was a good decision. Thoroughly enjoy ccr Diving and the AP experience is positive. My buddy went AP as well and we now have 4 AP divers in the club. Only real modification in that time is a Gbox and backplate but out of the crate the unit dives fine.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi all.

Cheers
    Just send the money to me. Not only will I spend it wisely, I won't try to kill you.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    If I was going again, I would go for an XCCR.

The build quality looks top class and the design lessons learned from AP and JJ have been built upon
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Have a think about primary usage or primary diving environments, not all units will cover all options well and may inform a short list of either modular units or best fit units.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast