Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    What did the salesman have to say about flood tolerance?
    I am sure he told him how often to change his sponge
    JJ wanker

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's nice to be able to clean out the lungs with the integrated lung cleaning cloth. All that slime; better out than in.

Do your units frequently flood? Why do they flood anyway?

Hypothetically, what would the cost be for a completely drowned unit -- say you catch a breathing hose in a wreck? Obviously a set of hens teeth cells, but what else? Sending it back to the manufacturer for a service?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    It's nice to be able to clean out the lungs with the integrated lung cleaning cloth. All that slime; better out than in.

Hypothetically, what would the cost be for a completely drowned unit -- say you catch a breathing hose in a wreck? Obviously a set of hens teeth cells, but what else? Sending it back to the manufacturer for a service?
    Nothing can withstand ripping the loop. At that point, you've just got to hope that your guru taught skills can get you onto your bailout and keep you calm as you try to work out if you really did bring enough gas.

When it comes to flood tolerance, its the smaller, perhaps unnoticeable, amount of water ingress which concerns me. The kind of thing which affects your WOB without knowing about it.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWdiver View Post
    Nothing can withstand ripping the loop. At that point, you've just got to hope that your guru taught skills can get you onto your bailout and keep you calm as you try to work out if you really did bring enough gas.

When it comes to flood tolerance, its the smaller, perhaps unnoticeable, amount of water ingress which concerns me. The kind of thing which affects your WOB without knowing about it.
    Such as a few dribbles through the lips, or not fully tightening up the breathing hoses when replacing a mushroom valve (another lesson learned)?

The drill's probably the same; tip your head to the exhale side, sharp blow out, shake liquid down the hose and into the exhale lung within the box. Alternatively there's the go vertical, remove the mouthpiece and shake the whole mouthpiece and hose

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Such as a few dribbles through the lips, or not fully tightening up the breathing hoses when replacing a mushroom valve (another lesson learned)?

The drill's probably the same; tip your head to the exhale side, sharp blow out, shake liquid down the hose and into the exhale lung within the box. Alternatively there's the go vertical, remove the mouthpiece and shake the whole mouthpiece and hose
    Making sure any water ingress ends up in a water trap / counterlung is usually a good idea. Although I might be less keen on this if my cells / solenoid / wiring etc was all contained within said counterlungs

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWdiver View Post
    Making sure any water ingress ends up in a water trap / counterlung is usually a good idea. Although I might be less keen on this if my cells / solenoid / wiring etc was all contained within said counterlungs
    The cells (which are the only non potted/fully waterproof items in the unit) are a fair way above the water level.

Have just stood the unit up vertical and can pour in 600ml of water to the lip of the bottom (inhale) scrubber where the cells live. However when diving it may be more, but as these are counterlungs, they'll be squeezed if running at minimum loop. There is an "anti-collapse" tube with the absorbant towel below which will stop the lungs collapsing completely and provide a space for excess water.

When in trim, there's no real path from the upper exhale lung+scrubber to the lower except through the scrubber. That will only happen if the unit's pretty vertical (60 degrees?). So if you suspect a lot of water in the exhale lung, keep the unit flatter when climbing out. Cell 3 will be the first to be flooded.

Apparently aside from the cells and Molex connectors, all other electronics are fully potted and waterproof.

What are other units - Inspo, JJ, etc. like for limited water ingress? I suppose FMCLs are completely tolerant; what about BMCLs?
    Last edited by Wibs; 23-07-2020 at 01:47 PM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm also not entirely sure that the Revo is that much more efficient in terms of lime usage. This is taken from the manual...

"
    → Scrubber endurance: at 40m depth, 4 Celsius, CO2 production of 1.6l/min STPD, 40 RMV (2 liter tidal volume), using 2.7kg Sofnolime 797: time until the PPCO2 of the inhaled gas reaches 5mbar: >160 minutes. Time until the PPCO2 of the inhaled gas reaches 10mbar: >170 minutes.
    → Scrubber endurance: at constant depth of 100m, 4 Celsius, CO2
    production of 1.6l/min STPD, 40 RMV (2liter tidal volume), using 2.7kg Sofnolime 797, using any trimix or heliox (PPN2 <= 4.0 bars): time until the PPCO2 of the inhaled gas reaches 5mbar: >75 minutes. Time until the PPCO2 of the inhaled gas reaches 10mbar: >85 minutes.

* Check the remaining scrubber time: if the time the scrubber has been used and the
    planned dive time added up exceeds 160 minutes, refill both scrubbers with fresh
    material.

"

If you're changing both 1.35kg scrubbers every 160 minutes. I'm not sure how this is a gain over an AP 2.5kg scrubber being changed at a similar timeframe.

In the real world I see people with Revo's changing both scrubbers every day for anything deep. The same as those with APs / JJs are changing theirs.

For a weekend of club 30m stuff, AP / JJ users tend to get their 4 dives out of a scrubber. The revo divers might do the old scrubber switcheroo after day 1 but they come away at the end having used the same amount of lime.
    Last edited by NWdiver; 23-07-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Me pretty much fk all because I am the manufacturer
    Probably spray some deoxit onto the SMB connectors and call it good

Never had a "proper" flood. Worst I had was when getting hold of shot in a current I went one way, buddy went other and she kicked me in the face in the process, knocking loop out.
    Tee piece stopped water getting any further than the exhale lung.

Reason I am taking piss out of your mod1 sales course is the revo doesn't have that luxury of lungs where water can sit in the bottom of them and be no problem, minor nuisance water in a revo is straight into scrubber 1. And if you're fashionably flat at the time and bottom the loop out, the puddle is getting shoved right into the face of the scrubber, which will mess your WOB right up.

OTOH one of my other home build bodge ups did have those shammy cloths as water traps and they did soak up more than expected.

You will find as you do longer dives on it especially if you are wiggling about doing work on things you end up with a fair bit of gozz, slobber, bits of tobacco, anything else you coughed up, water from loose lips etc in the lungs

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Is that with the monitoring system or not? If not then it'll have to be to the CE testing standards which will (should?) include lots of conservatism.

From what I've been told by multiple Revo divers (not instructor but real divers) the scrubber durations are well in excess of these figures to the tune of hours more than those figures.

Would be nice to have another Revo diver help out here.

I know the unit's a different design from other rebreathers, especially with the lung configuration. All Revo divers I've spoken to in the past have said that the flood tolerance is a non issue in the real world. My hose leak (caused by me not tightening up the jubilee clips enough) backed that up: annoying with water in the loop and ultimately I bailed out, but the unit worked afterwards.
    Last edited by Wibs; 23-07-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Revo is that the unit Chasey had after his Kiss?

Graham

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast