Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Cloning laptop hard drive

I have an Acer Swift 3 that has been working well but recently the display has proven buggy. For what ever reason when watching videos, swathes of display become over laid in thick green.
    Minimising and maximising the video usually resolves the issue for the time being but it keeps on reoccurring. I don't know what is wrong, whether it is software or hardware. I will contact the vendor but unfortunately I think I am outside the warranty period.

I am backing up files. Now I am wondering whether it would be worth cloning the hard drive on external drive as well. Not something I have done before but my hope is that in event that everything goes wrong I could recover files and installed software by using the cloned drive as part of a new build?

Any advice on where to start, whether this is good idea, website guides or even advice on how to resolve the original problem all gratefully received !!!

Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Macrium Reflect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Clonezilla

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When I swapped the hard drive in my old laptop I used a Sabrent caddy which came with the software to do it.

However.... I am guessing you have integrated graphics on your chipset and it could be that which is breaking down when under load. You could test whether it is your hard drive by copying a video that gives you the issue to a USB stick and seeing if it runs glitch free without involving your hard drive.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)

Should always have a backup, if only to keep the files if someone pinches the laptop.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have an SSD to replace my HD, Can I clone the drive without having to reinstall all the software that has built up over the years??

There is also an issue with the graphics card, but I have a replacement for that which is going in first.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    I have an SSD to replace my HD, Can I clone the drive without having to reinstall all the software that has built up over the years??

There is also an issue with the graphics card, but I have a replacement for that which is going in first.
    Yes. Download Clonezilla (it is free) and create a bootable image (I use a CD but a USB should also work).

Boot Clonezilla and make an image file copy of your hard drive onto a USB drive, swap hard drive for SSD, boot Clonezilla and transfer the image back onto the SSD.

Clonezilla doesn't adjust partition sizes (you shrink them before you move them) to match disc sizes. I expect there is youtube video showing the whole process.

I'd be tempted to leave the graphics card swap until after you have the cloned copy as that makes regression simpler if things don't work out. I also believe in changing only one variable at any time, where that is possible.
    Last edited by dwhitlow; 07-07-2020 at 04:15 PM. Reason: correction about partition resizing

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitlow View Post
    Yes. Download Clonezilla (it is free) and create a bootable image (I use a CD but a USB should also work).

Boot Clonezilla and make an image file copy of your hard drive onto a USB drive, swap hard drive for SSD, boot Clonezilla and transfer the image back onto the SSD.

Clonezilla can adjust partition sizes to match disc sizes. I expect there is youtube video showing the whole process.

I'd be tempted to leave the graphics card swap until after you have the cloned copy as that makes regression simpler if things don't work out. I also believe in changing only one variable at any time, where that is possible.
    Likewise, that`s why the graphics card was going in first; should be a plug and play swap!
    If not, the old one goes back in.

Turns out the card model is about three years older than the PC (I5) and is starting to be reluctant with solid works and a PIA with Fusion. newer card is dual display capable as well.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have been buying SSDs from Crucial.com for years now, simply because they provide Acronis TrueImage along with it. I'm adept at using tools like Clonezilla but this is just so easy it's worth the extra quid or two. It will clone your existing HD, from your running OS, onto your new SSD (in a caddy or whatever) with an absolute minimum of hassle. I used it recently to upgrade an early ultrabook - the job was done in 20 minutes flat.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHead View Post
    I have been buying SSDs from Crucial.com for years now, simply because they provide Acronis TrueImage along with it. I'm adept at using tools like Clonezilla but this is just so easy it's worth the extra quid or two. It will clone your existing HD, from your running OS, onto your new SSD (in a caddy or whatever) with an absolute minimum of hassle. I used it recently to upgrade an early ultrabook - the job was done in 20 minutes flat.
    This thread reminded me of spare SSD on the shelf (the missus wanted a bigger disc) so, after checking my data usage, I figured I'd move. I'd remembered wrongly (it's been a while) and my Clonezilla version doesn't resize the partitions (perhaps I was using Partition Magic for that?).

Acronis TrueImage looks useful and is probably simpler too. They offer a 30 day free trail so for a single move that seems a good plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast