X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gobfish1
    Last of the Mohicans
    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by WFO
    I did think about just a wind of insulation tape around the outside with a bit of overlap.

Rod will probably be just about hot enough to burn it off...

Interesting DIY broco may be just the job .
    Love the 4 quid air blower / oxygen leaver , Screwfix model.

Don't let iain see it . Lol
    Last edited by gobfish1; 04-07-2020, 10:37 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• WFO
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by gobfish1
      Not north sea standard's but have a look tell me what you think. Live or not . Torch not the workers lol
      https://youtu.be/-m-PLzPly3I
      The lump of hanging death shooting off downwards at warp 10 I thought "shit!"

Comment

• WFO
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by gobfish1
        Not north sea standard's but have a look tell me what you think. Live or not . Torch not the workers lol
        https://youtu.be/-m-PLzPly3I
        The lump of hanging death shooting off downwards at warp 10 I thought "shit!"

Comment

• gobfish1
          Last of the Mohicans
          • Jan 2013

Yes lucky it didn't snag on the hose s right in its path.
          None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• iain/hsm
            Banned
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by WFO
            I did think about just a wind of insulation tape around the outside with a bit of overlap.

Rod will probably be just about hot enough to burn it off...
            For the Broco rods that's exactly what is used. Standard electrical tape wound down the outside of the rod for insulation.

The secret was they used to be done by a company in Hull that employed people with learning difficulties. Yeah I know not very PC but they used to do a better job making them than most offshore divers using them. The other secret ingredient of the Broco was one of the internal solid rods inside the copper plated tube was made from aluminium.

By contrast the Kerie cable was another interesting product initially Reg used a standard marine yacht coated wire with the heart removed, that made the hole for the oxygen and the plastic cover allowed both insulation and protection and gas retention down its length. A 25 foot length of flexible cutting would give a lot of cutting compared to the Broco 18 inch of stop/start change out rod frequency as your video clearly indicates.

Comment

• iain/hsm
              Banned
              • Jun 2014

For Broco there are 66 rods in a box of the standard 18 inch 3/8" rod, each box is 25lbs in weight
              There was also a Broco 1/4" rod.

For the regulators for oxygen for topside supply a two stage industrial is better than the re badged Broco HVR 4401 but are two others to consider As for power cut off I think the old knife switches are not looked on with approval but a 600 amp circuit breaker is still good.

Also while you at it there are other options ceramic rods and carbon rods are both worth looking into
              Also Arcair (ESAB) 5/16 rods Tuff cote rods and Sea cut yellow rods and Craftswelds 5/16 rods

Use a stand off or bracket attached with a couple of magnets and rest the rod or Kerie cable on the stand off as you cut.
              Your cuts will be as straight as a dye and everyone will think your an expert cutter and burner. Even if you keep your eyes closed
              which you shoud'nt or your fingers will fall off and you will inherit the I'm the explosive expert tag line. All the best Iain
              Last edited by iain/hsm; 06-07-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Working...