Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    They said that years ago when Kodak brought out the 126 cartridge cameras and then the 110 cartridge cameras and the disk cameras... They were progressively more crap BTW.
    Lots of phones are pretty good but the fact is that they're not as good and never will be as good as high end cameras because of physics (i.e. the sensor is too small and the lenses have to be tiny)

I think what it will do is squeeze the manufacturers trying to make money quickly rather than being in for the long haul. So Nikon and Canon will likely survive but will chop away lots of cheaper ranges whereas Sony and Olympus (and others particularly in the compact systems area) will fall by the wayside as they're not big enough in terms of range, experience and user base.
    It seems to be shaking out to phones (which at the higher end are becoming really very impressive) and then full frame mirrorless for camera geeks who are prepared to pay £800 > £3k for a body. Sony seems to be doing OK but not great (they've created the market for this and popularised enthusiast full frame options), Canon with a emphasis on DSLRs (and a complacent 'we have all the lenses - why would anyone go anywhere else' attitude) has been struggling but today has finally got a lot more serious about full frame mirrorless with the release of the R5 & R6 etc, Nikon seems to be in real, real trouble... There was talk towards the end of last year of them folding their camera business...

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The other one who doesn't seem to be doing too badly is Panasonic who do the electronics and have tied up with Leica to produce the lenses. They have aimed for the travel market, producing smaller lighter cameras which are popular with explorer types. I've got a Panasonic FZ1000 bridge camera which has a 1 inch sensor and a 25-400mm lens. It produces better quality than a phone and is more controllable and versatile. It's not up to DSLR standard but is far more convenient when travelling than heaving a load of lenses around. The professional photographer on the expedition cruise to the Arctic we went on last September was so impressed by it that she was planning to buy one herself because it provided a good compromise between quality and convenience for those occasions when a heaving a DSLR and a selection of lenses around wasn't practical - such as in a Zodiac in rough weather.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    The other one who doesn't seem to be doing too badly is Panasonic who do the electronics and have tied up with Leica to produce the lenses. They have aimed for the travel market, producing smaller lighter cameras which are popular with explorer types. I've got a Panasonic FZ1000 bridge camera which has a 1 inch sensor and a 25-400mm lens. It produces better quality than a phone and is more controllable and versatile. It's not up to DSLR standard but is far more convenient when travelling than heaving a load of lenses around. The professional photographer on the expedition cruise to the Arctic we went on last September was so impressed by it that she was planning to buy one herself because it provided a good compromise between quality and convenience for those occasions when a heaving a DSLR and a selection of lenses around wasn't practical - such as in a Zodiac in rough weather.
    Yes, good point about Panasonic - interestingly despite finding a decent niche with the gh4 and 5 and their four thirds sensors they’ve now piled in with a well reviewed full frame as their flagship camera too... I’m not suggesting any sensor is intrinsically better than another mind, just that it seems that this is the way they’re all going to go...

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think that Panasonic needed a full frame in their range to be seen as a serious player, even if they didn't expect to sell many in comparison with their 4/3 models.. I wouldn't be surprised if Leica didn't badge engineer it with a few extra bells and whistles as they have done with the FZ1000. Image is important in that market.

Dive tart, and 'tog Pete Bullen's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Yes, good point about Panasonic - interestingly despite finding a decent niche with the gh4 and 5 and their four thirds sensors they’ve now piled in with a well reviewed full frame as their flagship camera too... I’m not suggesting any sensor is intrinsically better than another mind, just that it seems that this is the way they’re all going to go...
    It looks like full frame mirrorless is the future. Panasonic will ditch the M4/3 format soon leaving Olympus/JIP on their own which isn't really sustainable. Furthermore, JIP who are purchasing the OMD/Zuiko operation from Olympus have form of hanging onto the brand and downgrading the quality. They bought a quality brand when they bought Sony Vaio, ditched the Sony name and now sell Vaio laptops that are getting a terrible rep as being badly/cheaply built with crap support whilst relying on the legacy brand recognition to sustain sales. Sadly I'm now expecting similar behaviour with this latest acquisition.
    Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Fuji has done well carving various niches either side of full frame. They’ve got a rather retro approach to external controls and very well regarded sensor technology. Certainly many of their cameras are aimed at minority markets such as the X100 with a prime lens. The new X-T4 is a superb camera for both stills and video.

As ever, the camera body is only a part of the story. It’s the collection of glass that counts. If you’ve a handful of lenses from one manufacturer, migration costs can be huge. With Cannon lenses covering fisheye to super telephoto in both cheap and expensive styles, not to mention all the third party lenses, it makes the task of switching brands horrendously expensive.

A keen photographer friend sold his three Cannon bodies and half a dozen 'L' series lenses for The Fuji system. His main reason was size and weight of full frame and DSLR compared with APS-C. Image results are wonderful.

Phone cameras are a bit of a fraud as they may have the meggerpixalls but they don’t have any aperture or exposure control, relying on post processing. Most camera manufacturers have "phone crossover entry level" cameras. All of this applies to the GoPro devices too which yield pretty poor photos, which for action or underwater doesn’t matter.

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I am still thinking of getting a TG6, is this foolish?! I have loved the TG4 but would like an upgrade before the TG range is no more!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't think it's going to expire just yet. Is there anything the 6 does that the 5 doesn't thsat you'd like? If not, just get a 5 and spend the spare money on something else! I'm still happily using the TG-3 for all my super macro stuff, it's better than shooting down the microscope!
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    I don't think it's going to expire just yet. Is there anything the 6 does that the 5 doesn't thsat you'd like? If not, just get a 5 and spend the spare money on something else! I'm still happily using the TG-3 for all my super macro stuff, it's better than shooting down the microscope!
    Hadn't checked to be honest, I think I only saw the TG6 for sale at dive shows etc and was contemplating getting one. Then the virus hit and all my big trips got cancelled!!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    From a quick look, reviews are saying that the increase in features between the TG5 and TG6 are minimal (link) - so a cheaper TG5 and housing would probably be just as good an idea than going for the TG6.

That said everyone has different priorities so Smiley, the choice is yours.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast