Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Olympus disposing of it's camera division

https://petapixel.com/2020/06/24/oly...amera-business

After a year of rumors, denials, and backtracking, it’s finally official: Olympus is exiting the camera business after an 84-year run as one of the world’s most recognizable brands in the industry.

In a notice published to its website today, Olympus announced that it has signed a memorandum of understanding to sell its camera division to Japan Industrial Partners (JIP), the same investment firm that acquired Sony’s VAIO PC business back in 2014.

Olympus and JIP are aiming to sign a legally binding deal by September 30th.
    Hopefully this won't mean the end of the Tough camera line, but the sad fact is that unlike laptops, cameras, especially decent quality ones, rely on custom made precision elements for the optical assembly, while PCs are (literally) assembled from ready-made off the shelf components. A lot is going to depend on exactly what will be transferred over to JIP, both in terms of intellectual property as well as physical infrastructure. Unlike a lot of companies Olympus actually directly owns the production facilities for it's cameras in Vietnam, and they used to have one in Shenzhen too (my Tough came from that plant) which was a veritable institution that had been running for decades (assumeably with a lot of skilled and experienced people), but was closed back in 2018.
    Exeter - Falmouth University BSAC #2551
    Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Dive tart, and 'tog Pete Bullen's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think it probably does mean the end of Tough cameras. The announcement says that JIP are buying the Lens (Zuiko) division and the High End 4/3rds model line (OMD). The rest will be gone in six months.
    Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Pity, I bought a TG6 last year. It's so much better then the Fiji I used before.
    Last edited by Edward3c; 26-06-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Dive tart, and 'tog Pete Bullen's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward3c View Post
    Pity, I bought a TG6 last year. It's so much better then the Fiji I used before.
    Repairs and support will continue for a while, no need to get rid of a good camera just because i's no longer being made.
    Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For those that lived through the death of the OM cameras in the 80s this is nothing new. Olympus have form for shafting their user base.

On the bright side, I bought a TG-6 just after Christmas. It's so much better than the Nikon W300 I had before. If everyone is abandoning Olympus I may pick up a cheap housing...

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bullen View Post
    Repairs and support will continue for a while, no need to get rid of a good camera just because i's no longer being made.
    I’ve no intention of getting rid of camera or housing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've got a TG-3, and am extremely happy with it. If the model does get pulled hoping I might be able to pick up a TG-6 at a discounted price for when the 3 dies.

No need to get rid of any gear. They'll be spares around for ages. I've still got 35mm SLR cameras from the 1980s and have been able to get them repaired without problems. Things like housings and all that are mostly by third party manufacturers anyway. Hoping the TG line will continue, but I'm not massively optimistic.
    Last edited by JasminNeedsGills; 27-06-2020 at 05:45 PM.
    Exeter - Falmouth University BSAC #2551
    Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasminNeedsGills View Post
    I've got a TG-3, and am extremely happy with it. If the model does get pulled hoping I might be able to pick up a TG-6 at a discounted price for when the 3 dies.

No need to get rid of any gear. They'll be spares around for ages. I've still got 35mm SLR cameras from the 1980s and have been able to get them repaired without problems. Things like housings and all that are mostly by third party manufacturers anyway. Hoping the TG line will continue, but I'm not massively optimistic.
    Try getting an Olympus OM4 fixed.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I never knew Olympus made anything but cameras, you learn something every day :-)

TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a pair of binoculars by them, and am pretty sure the microscopes my school had in the '90s were Olympus too

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast