Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I thought that big fin was going to get stuck in the cockpit doorway!
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Excellent video, very well put together.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Like a real diver but smaller apparently purple vonny's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrXQbucZUDA

I think William Trubridge diving the Blue Hole is properly freediving. Nowt but a pair of budgie smugglers.
    I'm married to a freediver / spearo - he has lungs like suitcases and stays down for minutes at a time - all relaxed and fully trained up. I can duck dive - that makes me a snorkeler. At a guess, I'd say freedivers are competition standard and snorkelers are folk pootling round with a snorkel and duckdiving for less than a minute? Who knows?
    We can all big ourselves up with fancy titles!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    After watching that, I'm just a snorkler :-)

taz

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post

Hi guy's

When does snorkelling become free diving?

I've snorkelled everywhere, I even snorkelled to the bottom of Stonie Cove once 😁 but when did I become a free diver?

taz

You dived Stoney to the bottom? 36 metre deep breath hold? That is defo Freediving.

I'd say to be honest both are the same thing in many respects, but a Freediver is trained to a higher level in safety and has been taught to overcome the initial urges to breathe and continue on down / across. Snorkelling is more of a splash and a dash and much about the enjoyment from the surface with the occasional shallow dive

Having said that, there are some exceptional snorkellers out there who to be honest could call themselves freedivers through self education.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    i thought also)))

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purple vonny View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrXQbucZUDA

I think William Trubridge diving the Blue Hole is properly freediving. Nowt but a pair of budgie smugglers.
    I'm married to a freediver / spearo - he has lungs like suitcases and stays down for minutes at a time - all relaxed and fully trained up. I can duck dive - that makes me a snorkeler. At a guess, I'd say freedivers are competition standard and snorkelers are folk pootling round with a snorkel and duckdiving for less than a minute? Who knows?
    We can all big ourselves up with fancy titles!
    I like this. Son of spearo here. There's a discipline which requires some proper chops when competition spearfishing out at Eddystone in marginal conditions. This was all the rage in 60s and 70s. I've been told the old man was quite good at it - his club used to train at the SETT in Gosport - 30m/100feet is deffo freediving. I feel good when I manage a couple minutes (but takes some build-up). Freediving isn't just about deep. It's about being comfortable and relaxed. Trubridge is just phenomenal, if a bit stunt-driven. Anyone who thinks freediving is unnatural ought to check out Jacques Mayol, 'homo delphinus'. It's about as natural a thing as there is.
    I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If I'm not mistaken, scuba diving and freediving are slightly different. Their very process of implementation consists of different things. During freediving, a person dives under the water in one breath. But in any case, I like ordinary diving better. At least once a month with friends we try to get out into the sea or ocean. This is a great pleasure. We have been looking for someone who can help us with this for a very long time. On one of the forums, we were prompted to turn to https://www.sirolodive.com/service/fun-dive/ and this turned out to be a very correct choice. These guys provide very cool services, they can also teach you everything related to the sea, swimming and diving.
    Last edited by caritu; 24-07-2020 at 09:57 PM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but freediving is when a diver performs a dive with one breath without surfacing rather than snorkeling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast