Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member Wardy_uk's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slates View Post
    Are any of the quarry’s open?

Satan will strike you down for that hog loop!

First dive scheduled for Monday!
    Not commercial quarries

Jealous you’re in the water so soon. Where you diving?
    Last edited by Wardy_uk; 23-05-2020 at 08:29 PM.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy_uk View Post
    Not commercial quarries

Jealous you’re in the water so soon. Where you diving?
    Not decided yet, likely around Torbay

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    BSAC is really just replicating the advice from the BDSG, which is a co-operative effort of all the agencies in the UK, so I'd assume a lot of the advice is the result of a compromise between bodies to try and hammer out a common party line more than a very specific interpretation of BSAC internal rules. I doubt many BSAC clubs will take to the water just yet, but other organisations with different cultures might do so, and that's what BDSG need to factor in. Better to have a framework for it rather than "rogue" diving with no guidance in place.
    Exeter - Falmouth University BSAC #2551
    Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slates View Post
    All BSAC branch dives should be conducted under the supervision of a dive manager, i.e. a nominated person who is responsible for the planning and organising of that dive. Exactly who that should be varies depending on the dive, and some tasks may be delegated to others but each planned dive should have a nominated dive manager within the group.
    But a BSAC qualification is not invalid when diving outside a branch, so the requirement ( except for the Ocean Diver issues) isnít actually there as a factor of the qualification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasminNeedsGills View Post
    BSAC is really just replicating the advice from the BDSG, which is a co-operative effort of all the agencies in the UK, so I'd assume a lot of the advice is the result of a compromise between bodies to try and hammer out a common party line more than a very specific interpretation of BSAC internal rules. I doubt many BSAC clubs will take to the water just yet, but other organisations with different cultures might do so, and that's what BDSG need to factor in. Better to have a framework for it rather than "rogue" diving with no guidance in place.
    As they are part of the BDSG, I am assuming BSAC, as all the other members are just sharing the agreed recommendations.

As for clubs going diving, I think we would need a little more clarity between 2 persons, socially distancing, and a dive with shore cover, or more than one set of 2 persons so to speak.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1w View Post
    But a BSAC qualification is not invalid when diving outside a branch, so the requirement ( except for the Ocean Diver issues) isnít actually there as a factor of the qualification.
    BSAC diver qualifications are valid once issued, member or not. Diving with or outside a Branch. So is BSACís 3rd Party insurance (in most cases) if your a paid up member.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1w View Post
    But a BSAC qualification is not invalid when diving outside a branch, so the requirement ( except for the Ocean Diver issues) isn’t actually there as a factor of the qualification.
    LOL. This old chestnut.

Some mates showed you how the kit works. You are not "qualified" to do anything. Recreational scuba diving is a pastime and requires no qualifications at all.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Great example of the cultural differences in BSAC diving protocols in that statement which seems more akin to commercial diving procedures than recreational diving.

(Again, not making any comment as to it's efficacy, just that it's quite different from other agencies practices)
    Well, not really....

Yes, I would say dive manager is analogous to dive supervisor in commercial diving.... Commercial diving rules are going to come into play for any recreational diver course or guided dive.

So the "only" time you wouldn't be obliged to follow dive manager/supervisor arrangement would be when you were diving outside of any formal organisation ie a dive club or commercial dive operation (dive centre)... Which is pretty obvious rule, because by definition there is no organisation or structure to provide any rule base.

The basic difference is whether or not you're diving under the banner/protection /guidance of a formal organisation.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    The basic difference is whether or not you're diving under the banner/protection /guidance of a formal organisation.
    I agree. BSAC people seem to tie themselves up in knots over a "branch dive". Actually quite a few seem to be Kinbaku addicts.

When you join you do sign an agreement to follow the SDP. If you don't, well you don't. Would save 50 quid a year....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Expedition trip planner. Lol
    What a wank fess diving seems to have become.
    IV several dive badges from different organizations
    I just pick the one that give s me the less hassle on the day .
    Having your own insurance makes live a lot more simple.

Eneywho must dash got my Expedition trip planner comming round . Big trip to Aldi on the books . 2m apart of course.
    No big deal IV been operating on the 2m rules ever since the gay plague days .

Recommendations are just Recommendations.
    Only a fool would take them as the law .
    Last edited by gobfish1; 24-05-2020 at 10:45 AM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast