Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Primary Donate in the COVID-19 World?

With people thinking of diving soon BSAC has recently published their view on how things might look different.

Some makes sense, some is amusing, and the item of mouthpiece cleaning does make sense. With CCR, octopus, pony, and indies there is no issue. For those configured and trained for primary donate this might be a new consideration. Whilst accepting gas from a potentially infected diver is preferable to drowning, is anyone going to change their approach in this new world we are in?

Maybe time to trade in that recreational twinset for a single and pony?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    With any of these methods you really ought to breathe from the reg prior to diving so any reg that a diver has has been in their mouth at least once that day. I personally won't be changing my methods.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2cool View Post
    With any of these methods you really ought to breathe from the reg prior to diving so any reg that a diver has has been in their mouth at least once that day. I personally won't be changing my methods.
    Pretty much sums it up. If you are underwater and need gas a "dirty" reg is preferable to breathing water. If the person you dive with has not test breathed the other regs then rule #1 applies.

No doubt it will be excuse number #2,351 for having a bailout strapped to your back at all times. About time BSAC did a solo diving course..............

Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If I am looking at somebody who will die if I do not react quickly enough I will risk a lot more than the chance of getting bat mange.
    And I'm in the over seventy with other conditions category.

I would however not do it as a practice drill.
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Even GUE are advising to dive using the secondary keeping the clipped primary for any OOG issues, here under "OUT OF GAS EMERGENCIES (temporary adjustments for non-training dives)".

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel hewitt View Post
    If I am looking at somebody who will die if I do not react quickly enough I will risk a lot more than the chance of getting bat mange.
    And I'm in the over seventy with other conditions category.

I would however not do it as a practice drill.
    Exactly, I wouldn't practice with breathing from the reg. (but can still simulate the rest of the drill without physically breathing from it), but the chances of surviving breathing water over a miniscule chance of catching, let alone dying from, coronavirus from a donated regulator … wouldn't even enter my mind.

What is changing for me is that I will be sterilising the box on a more regular basis and the mouthpiece before each time I put it in my mouth if I/box am within a few metres of people between dives.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward3c View Post
    Even GUE are advising to dive using the secondary keeping the clipped primary for any OOG issues, here under "OUT OF GAS EMERGENCIES (temporary adjustments for non-training dives)".
    This seems a sensible middle-ground. Thank for bringing this to my attention, I hadn’t seen this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitlow View Post
    With people thinking of diving soon BSAC has recently published their view on how things might look different.

Some makes sense, some is amusing, and the item of mouthpiece cleaning does make sense. With CCR, octopus, pony, and indies there is no issue. For those configured and trained for primary donate this might be a new consideration. Whilst accepting gas from a potentially infected diver is preferable to drowning, is anyone going to change their approach in this new world we are in?

Maybe time to trade in that recreational twinset for a single and pony?
    Never mind Bsac . Has Grindr published a way forwarded yet .
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member Wardy_uk's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2cool View Post
    I probably wont be either... I'd probably discuss it with my buddy before hand though and see what they thought. the longhouse clipped on doesnt sound a stunning idea though...

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Whilst I can perhaps understand GUE advising not to practise/drill primary donate, I can’t really see the point in modifying emergency primary donate on a normal dive.

If you’re going diving, you are already accepting a reasonable level of risk. The theoretical risk of infection just scales with the level of emergency. It’s a bad day if you’re donating anyway. If my diving buddy fell off the sea wall I’d be taking a chance with blood/cpr and if you’re not prepared to, you should find another sport.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast