Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Andaman Islands - has anyone dived there?

Hi,

Has anyone from here dived the Andaman islands? What did you think? Is it better to fly into India or Thailand?

Thanks

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I dived there about 11 years ago, from a liveaboard. The season is short (Jan - March, I think) and I loved the diving. My trip report is here http://www.chorleybsac.org.uk/forum/...c.php?f=4&t=24 . Sadly the photobox links no longer work, so it's just text.

I was living and working in Chennai at the time, so I flew from there. Although it's nearer to Thailand, I'm not sure if there are any flights from Thailand, though things may have changed in the last few years.

If you're on Facebook, let me know as I'm pretty sure I have photos on there.

Maria

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqua Maria View Post
    I dived there about 11 years ago, from a liveaboard. The season is short (Jan - March, I think) and I loved the diving. My trip report is here http://www.chorleybsac.org.uk/forum/...c.php?f=4&t=24 . Sadly the photobox links no longer work, so it's just text.

I was living and working in Chennai at the time, so I flew from there. Although it's nearer to Thailand, I'm not sure if there are any flights from Thailand, though things may have changed in the last few years.

If you're on Facebook, let me know as I'm pretty sure I have photos on there.

Maria
    Hi Maria,

Great report. I think the siren is out of my price range, but a cheaper live aboard may be available now. Would you recommend a live aboard over day diving there? Oh and by the way, what sharks did you see? I do like my sharks.

Thanks

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi

I haven't done any day diving there, so don't have a basis to compare. Best bet is probably to check out how many of the dive sites you can easily get to from Havelock. I bumped in to the owner / dive guide of the dive centre on Havelock in a bar in Chennai one time, and they seem like a professional outfit.

I can't remember what sharks we saw, it certainly wasn't on a par with French Polynesia for sharks. My best memories are of large shoals of fish, and also the colourful coral against the black volcanic sand.

There was a pro photographer on our trip who'd done a few Andamans trips, his name is Mark Strickland. If you google him, I'm sure you'll find some great write-ups and photos.

The other place I wanted to dive in India was the Lakshapweep islands, off the Kerala coast, but the logistics of getting there and diving were too challenging for me to fit in around my work commitments. Maybe one day...

Good luck

Maria