X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Allan Carr
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

VE-Day - lets remember the sacrifices our parents and grandparents made

In this time of crisis, it's easy to forget the sacrifices that earlier generations made during and just after WW2. Even after the deprivations of the war years, they still had to face a further 9 years of strict rationing. In fact the years after the war were worse in many ways because there was less shipping importing food from abroad. So much of what we take for granted these days was simply unavailable. I have an old cookery book of my mothers from 1951 which includes statements such as 'If sugar is available...'. Vegetables were only those that were in season. The approach to life was very much make do and mend. Our current throwaway mentality is an absolute anathema to the generation that lived through those times.

The working week in those days was typically 45 hours - Saturday was a half day. Television in those days was restricted to the affluent few and even then was only on for a few hours a day. Few families had cars.

I'm not old enough to remember VE-Day, I was born in 1947 but I do remember the end of rationing in 1954 when we could buy sweets without a ration book. Previously they were part of the sugar allowance and had to be traded off against other household needs for sugar.

The sacrifices we are being asked to make at present are trivial in comparison with those the wartime generation had to make. Lets not forget them on this day.
  • Chrisch
    Tofu eating wokerato
    • Jan 2013

Please also take the time to remember the large number of allied troops still fighting after VE day as it was not the end of the war.
    There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
    With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• divechick
      TDF Member
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Chrisch
      Please also take the time to remember the large number of allied troops still fighting after VE day as it was not the end of the war.
      +1 please

Comment

Working...