Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How accurate is the MS Word Properties information?

Incredibly my wife who is a nurse is having a contractual issue even during the current crisis. She has been emailed a copy of what is supposed to be her contract which she's pretty sure she's never seen. In fact she thinks she never signed one. The terms are different to what she signed with her conditional offer. I've looked at the 'properties' information on the document on my mac ( I think this may be different on a PC) and under 'security' it says it was printed in October 2019 which is before she started the job. To me this suggests it is somebody else's contract that has been amended for her and emailed and was never printed for her to sign?
    But before we flag it I just wondered if that info can be relied on and if there's any other way of telling the validity of the document.
    Thanks in advance.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If she signed it they'll have a copy of it.
    If she didn't they won't.
    Ask for a scan of the copy she signed.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Contracts

I would push a little further and ask when was the contract sent and by what means-by post, hand or email.
    I am surprised that the contract version your wife received was in Word, rather than say a PDF file. A word file can be edited, unless it has been protected. If I want someone to sign a document I send a PDF, which is much harder to edit.
    This is a minor point but with the date Oct 19 how far in advance of starting work was this? Was the date of printing before a job offer had been made? You don't have to answer the question on here of course

If the contract has been changed and your wife thinks the terms are unfair then there are several routes under the law
    https://www.gov.uk/your-employment-c...-with-problems

Making a change without agreement

If an employer makes a change to a contract without getting agreement (including by using flexibility clauses unreasonably), employees may:

have the right to refuse to work under the new conditions
    say that they’re working any new terms under protest, and are treating the change as a breach of contract
    resign and claim constructive dismissal
    be able to take a case to an employment tribunal

Another point to consider is that employee rights are fairly minimal for the first two years. So if your wife is in a trade union then it may be worth getting the union involved.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    She can request a copy of all the information they hold under GDPR. That will include a copy of her contract of employment and engagement letter. However, don’t expect a quick response as COVID-19 is being used as an excuse to delay responses.
    Last edited by Edward3c; 02-05-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    If she signed it they'll have a copy of it.
    If she didn't they won't.
    Ask for a scan of the copy she signed.
    We have asked and they are being very evasive. Which led to me being suspicious.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian@1904 View Post
    This is a minor point but with the date Oct 19 how far in advance of starting work was this? Was the date of printing before a job offer had been made? You don't have to answer the question on here of course
    It was months in advance. But it may have been someone else’s contract that they edited and emailed to her but we can’t find any evidence of that. The other info is really useful thanks. She has engaged the RCN now for support. Cheers

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw13 View Post
    We have asked and they are being very evasive. Which led to me being suspicious.
    I saw a three headed shark once but didn't get a photo...

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian@1904 View Post
    I would push a little further and ask when was the contract sent and by what means-by post, hand or email.
    I am surprised that the contract version your wife received was in Word, rather than say a PDF file. A word file can be edited, unless it has been protected. If I want someone to sign a document I send a PDF, which is much harder to edit.
    I know this is a commonly held belief but I'm not sure how much truth is in it, libreoffice and adobe's own software both edit pdfs easily

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sounds to me that they have sent her the 'Gerneric' copy of their standard contract. Most companies do have a standard CoE. Could it be that she signed an earlier CoE? I think that is the one she (should have) signed (two copies) and been given one of the copies. Does she still have the offer paperwork? I sincerly hope so as that is an important document.

But as others have said she can request a copy of all the paperwork the employer holds of her.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    I know this is a commonly held belief but I'm not sure how much truth is in it, libreoffice and adobe's own software both edit pdfs easily
    I tend to digitally sign them
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell